DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Gamecube/Resident Evil Series/Purchase Question... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/277441-gamecube-resident-evil-series-purchase-question.html)

thegame370 03-11-03 02:31 AM

Gamecube/Resident Evil Series/Purchase Question...

Well, heres the thing, im a huge Resident Evil fan and was really dissapointed when the series jumped ship to GC. The incident ticked me off and altough i love the good ol' NES days ive never really been a big Nintendo fan so i said "Screw it, im not gonna buy a GC just for the RE series, they can have them!" Anyways, i have a PS2 and X-Box and although i love both systems, i feel as if im missing that classic RE style, that survival horror genre i love so much. The only games that quench my thirst in that category are the Silent Hill games, but those tend to drift towards another direction. Well, i havent thought about buying a GC since i decided not to, but now with this "Buy a GC and get 1 of 4 different games one of those being Resident Evil 0, its very freaking tempting. Not to mention i can get Resident Evil (Remake) for a good price new or used. I dont know, im in a bind. I mean i feel really tempted to, but as i said, im not big on Nintendo's family of games like Mario, Zelda and so on and so forth. Im just thinking about getting it for the RE Series and maybe Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness. But heres another thing, i bought my GF a GC for X-Mas, and she doesnt think i should get one. She says i should just buy the games i want and borrow hers (but you know how we guys are with games, we want our own stuff), but she does kinda have a point. So what do you guys think, should i invest in one, are the RE games worth it, should i buy the games and just freeload off of my GF (She says, why get one, we'll be married soon and then we'll have two, LOL! Women.)?

Gideon68 03-11-03 03:09 AM

Just borrow hers if those are the only games you'll play. Besides, if she gets tired of her GC she may throw it your way.

Trigger 03-11-03 03:20 AM

Ok - my roommate owns a PS2 and I own like 5 PS2 games, but no PS2. If you really wanna play RE, just buy the games. FWIW, Eternal Darkness blows (IMO) and the RE remake was pretty, but after playing the original a few times, it got old fast. Haven't played much of RE0. Fatal Frame is available for both of the systems you own and it should appeal to your jones for RE type games. Alone in the Dark 4 for Dreamcast and Playstation is good too. You may enjoy Metroid, but there's probably little else you would like (given that you don't really like Nintendo style games). I'd stick with what you got and just buy the RE games to play on your GF's console - make it something you can do together - those types of games are good for having one person play while one or two other people watch.

sniper308 03-11-03 07:16 AM

If she won't get po'd that your over her place playing games, then I say just pick up the games. I have a blast with my cube, but I'd say buy the first RE and play it on her GC, then decide for sure. If you decide you want your own then pick up the GC with RE0.

Groucho 03-11-03 07:36 AM

While you're at it, buy an enter key for your keyboard.

DARTH GAMER 03-11-03 07:43 AM

Just letting you know that I as well was pretty ticked when RE jumped ship. So I did just what your thinking about. I bought a GC just for the series and have beaten both the remake and Zero and loved every minute of it. The remake is a completely new game (about 70% atleast) and it is now my favorite of all of them. Just the new grafics make it that much better. Before, #1 was closest to my heart as well. I also love Zero. I thought the ability to switch between characters and work separately or together was great. I've heard alot of negative comments about it in the past but I loved it and hope they do it again in the future.

Go ahead, get your own. Even if you do get hitched in the future and have two of them, you can be playing RE6 on yours while she is busy playing animal crossing 2 on hers. Good luck!

Skank 03-11-03 10:33 AM

I bought a GC solely for the RE series and haven't regretted it yet! My favourite series and it's amazing to play. Play the remake before Zero though. And don't forget, RE4 looks amazing so far!

AgtFox 03-11-03 10:51 AM

I have a better idea. Why don't you go out and rent RE Remake and RE0 and see if you like them. Then you'll know for sure whether you are pining after something worthwhile or not. And if you're going to marry this girl, just mooch her GC...it is useless to have 2 of them.

I hate the RE series by the way, but unlike Tigger I think Eternal Darkness is an awesome game.

mdc3000 03-11-03 05:39 PM

Originally posted by AgtFox

I hate the RE series by the way, but unlike Tigger I think Eternal Darkness is an awesome game.

I agree about Eternal Darkness, it is frigin awesome...and I think the RE games are a lot of fun too... go ahead and get the cube, I'm sure you won't regret it... or just borrow your girlfriends, but prepare her to be apart from it for a good month or two!

MATT

thegame370 03-11-03 07:10 PM

Well, i still dont know what im gonna do yet, but today i went to EB and got Resident Evil (Remake) for $13.49 with my 10% discount, so that was cool. Ill keep you informed, i think ill decide by this weeks end.

Outlaw 03-11-03 07:43 PM

While your at it try out Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball 2, and Metroid Prime. And Eternal Darkness :) I'm got a bit further in Resident Evil 0. The ability to drop items is pretty helpful. But yeah...play the remake first and then Zero, and crank the volume up :thumbsup:.

When you're married you could always sell your extra gamecube. Once she notices how much you play she'll be glad you got the extra one.

tanman 03-13-03 12:25 AM

I think that this is a relationship question more than anything else. Hmmm....do I get another GC and have it all for myself (mwhahahahaha) or do I share my GF's GC and save some extra dough for more games. Well, some questions first.

Are you guys really that serious. When she says "But we'll be married soon" do you agree with that statement. If you are going to get married soon then I suggest you "Borrow" the GC and disappear for a few days while you relish in your RE badness (Remember 4 is coming as well). For me the RE games can be beat relatively quickly and then archived on the shelf for awhile.

Some points to remember:

The free game offer ends at somepoint

The sucessor for the GC will most likely play all current games(May come into consideration if you don't want two GC in the house)

RE 4 will still be exclusive on the GC
RE online and survivor 2 will not be

Nintendo games might not be your cup of tea but have you given this generation a chance? there are several first rate games that are quite different than anything from previous generations.

Eternal Darkness is a great game. Very very good.

I think you should try it out if you two can share one GC. If you cannot, think about it before you share a house, TV, your time, holidays, the list goes on and on.

thegame370 03-14-03 03:50 AM

Originally posted by tanman
I think that this is a relationship question more than anything else. Hmmm....do I get another GC and have it all for myself (mwhahahahaha) or do I share my GF's GC and save some extra dough for more games. Well, some questions first.

Are you guys really that serious. When she says "But we'll be married soon" do you agree with that statement. If you are going to get married soon then I suggest you "Borrow" the GC and disappear for a few days while you relish in your RE badness (Remember 4 is coming as well). For me the RE games can be beat relatively quickly and then archived on the shelf for awhile.

Some points to remember:

The free game offer ends at somepoint

The sucessor for the GC will most likely play all current games(May come into consideration if you don't want two GC in the house)

RE 4 will still be exclusive on the GC
RE online and survivor 2 will not be

Nintendo games might not be your cup of tea but have you given this generation a chance? there are several first rate games that are quite different than anything from previous generations.

Eternal Darkness is a great game. Very very good.

I think you should try it out if you two can share one GC. If you cannot, think about it before you share a house, TV, your time, holidays, the list goes on and on.

Well yes, we're pretty serious, we've been together for 6+ years. And ive already decided to not buy the GC. I checked out thier release list, and im not to interested in any upcoming titles except you said, Resident Evil 4, and i dont see the sense in buying the GC just for the series.
With that said, i already borrowed my GF's GC ;) Borrowed it yesterday and ive been stuck on the RE Remake ever since, awesome game! Ill be buying RE0 soon so i can delve into it right afterwards.
Thanx for your input though everyone, it really helped!

mrkent 03-14-03 11:40 AM

I understand the feeling. This is what I think you should consider though. RE0 is 50 bucks (roughly) and is 1/3 of the system. If you have the money, then get it. If you are debating about getting the system just for ONE game, then you might want to rent the game and play it on your GF's system. Your GF could be right about jsut using hers, but you just have to make sure that she doesn't have Animal Crossing or something because you'll never have that chance to pull her away from the system.

Good luck...

KingSmoth 03-14-03 12:37 PM

Glad to hear you picked up RE and your GF's GC. :)
Resident Evil was my sole reason for purchasing a GC as well(I even went so far as to tell my friends it would be the only game I would ever own for the GC....ate my words on that one), and I ended up finding a load of games I enjoy afterwards. RE 0 is a must buy, and Eternal Darkness is amazing.