DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   No 'Halo II' in 2003 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/276674-no-halo-ii-2003-a.html)

Adam Tyner 03-07-03 01:31 PM

No 'Halo II' in 2003

From Bungie:

There has been much speculation regarding Halo 2's release date since we announced the game last year. The fact is we don't like announcing release dates unless we're certain we'll meet the deadline.

We're still not ready to pick a specific release date, but we do want to state for the record that Halo 2 will not ship in 2003. This game is a vast undertaking, considerably more complex than any of our previous efforts, and there is just no way to squeeze all of the necessary work into this calendar year. We know many of you were hoping to get your hands on Halo 2 during the holiday season, and we're sorry to disappoint you - but making this game as good as we possibly can is our paramount concern. Microsoft understands and supports our decision, and we hope you will too. Our ultimate goal is to make Halo 2 a great game; when the game comes out next year, we think you'll agree we made the right choice.

Of course, you'll be able to get a small taste of the glories we have in store when we show Halo 2 at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in May. And there is Halo for Mac and PC, still on track for a 2003 release with several new features and content. There is lots of exciting stuff on the way for Halo fans.

As always, we invite you to check back with us here at Bungie.net regularly for the official word on all things Halo, straight from the developers.

TheMadMonk 03-07-03 01:50 PM

Boo! Hiss!

But I'm not surprised, and just hope it kicks ass whenever it is finally released.

finbogg 03-07-03 01:53 PM

I guess the multiplayer madness on the PC will just have to tide me over. oh well.

Gallant Pig 03-07-03 02:07 PM

Smart decision. Perfection takes time. They should in the meantime come out with a Halo 1.5 that just puts in XBL support for Halo.

Trigger 03-07-03 02:21 PM

Yay... go bungie. Let's hope every level doesn't look identical.

Draven 03-07-03 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
They should in the meantime come out with a Halo 1.5 that just puts in XBL support for Halo.
That is the main reason I am looking forward to Halo 2. If they did something like that, it would be more than enough to hold me over.

Jackskeleton 03-07-03 02:40 PM

so when it does come out, Doom III will already have came out and a new standard in graphics will be set. ;) Halo 2 better look good or else it will just be a dated graphics game. ;)

mmconhea 03-07-03 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
rotfl

JaxComet 03-07-03 04:17 PM

I'll just to be happy to play the original again. I stupidly traded my copy last summer. However, I refuse to pay $50 for a game that's almost a year and a half old....

Spiderbite 03-07-03 04:54 PM

No big surprise. I always figured on a 2004 delivery and thought that the 2003 announcement was just a dream.

I would gladly pay $50 for a Xbox Live Halo (1.5)! Pass it on.

MasterofDVD 03-07-03 06:54 PM

Geez

I am kinda glad to see them wait in order for them to make sure it's done right but on the other hand I'm pretty bummed. I had already told my wife this was all I wanted for my birthday in the fall. My buddy and I were looking forward to playing this together. I guess we will get Wolfenstein to hold us over now.

kar10 03-07-03 06:54 PM

Halo 1.5

I'm waiting................Bring it on!!

Centurion 03-07-03 07:42 PM

As long as the delay makes for a solid and fun game, I'm all for it.

MasterofDVD 03-07-03 08:22 PM

It's funny and I forgot to mention it in my first post.....

Just yesterday I was trying to get XBConnect to work so I could play some Halo online. It wasn't working so I gave up thinking that I could hold off till Halo 2 came out. And as soon as I posted earlier I went and downloaded the software again. And I even got it working. :D My firewall need to be turned off. This should help keep Halo fun for a few more months.

spainlinx0 03-07-03 09:44 PM

I have to agree with everyone else here about the fact that they should release a Halo 1.5. I understand their decision, but it doesn't make my disappointment any less. I want to play on Xbox Live.

DVDTalker002 03-08-03 12:36 AM

I starting to wonder if anything good is going to come out for xbox this year I'm getting a little impatient.

jeffdsmith 03-08-03 01:39 AM

Just as I said and figured.

I applaud Bungie for taking the time to do it right.

homeslice 03-08-03 06:51 AM

http://www.bargainshare.com/html/emoticons/bang.gif

Get Me Coffee 03-08-03 08:35 AM

Is rare working on this game? ;)

tha_dvd_man 03-08-03 03:00 PM

Working on a Halo 1.5 would only slow down development on Halo 2. I'd rather see a finished Halo 2 as soon as possible than wait a little while longer just to play the original on Live and with a few extra maps.

Anyways, it's a little upsetting, but completely understandable. Halo 2 is much more ambitious than Halo was, and I want them to take as much time as they need with it. Considering that they already have experience with the Xbox hardware now, combined with the fact that they'll have more than double the development time than they did with the original Halo, Halo 2 is going to blow the original away.

UKingdom 03-08-03 04:15 PM

This is good news for XBOX long term, but BAD news for them this holiday season. They were to rely on this game alone to sell lots of units...there's no flagship title this holiday season for the XBOX...but of course it's too early to say I suppose.

jiggawhat 03-08-03 05:16 PM

I hope that it won't become a duke nukem forever.

Michael Corvin 03-08-03 11:06 PM

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Working on a Halo 1.5 would only slow down development on Halo 2. I'd rather see a finished Halo 2 as soon as possible than wait a little while longer just to play the original on Live and with a few extra maps.
That's not the point. They can job out 1.5 to another company to write the code to make it LIVE compatible. I mean the multiplayer/maps/characters are already designed and stay the same. The only thing that needs to be done is put it online. We don't need extra maps or any bells and whistles, just online capability. Bungie isn't required for this task.

Sloth911 03-09-03 09:13 PM

I hope halo 2 doesnt make you play levels backwards/forward 4 times.

I would gladly pay $50 for an xBox live compaitable version/addon for halo 1.

SuprVgeta 03-09-03 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Did it ever occur to you that through the first half of the game you go through those environments, and then through the last few levels you back track through those same environments. There is atleast a reason why the terrain looks the same... the only level I had a problem with was "The Library."

As for Halo 2... it's better they say the game is delayed now, rather than two weeks before it's supposed to come out, and everybody has their hopes up. I hate when companies announce a delay a few weeks-to-a month before the game releases... Let's just hope this extra work is worth it.