Reload this Page >

need advice on what ps2 rpg to play.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-05-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like playing an rpg, I only have time for one, and i'm not an rpg maniac like some. So if it isn't really really good, i don't think it can keep my interest. So, with that in mind, can you guys help me figure out what would be the best game to get? I narrowed my choices down to a few, based on reviews and stuff, but I'm thinking you can't really know until you play it. So can you guys help? thanks a lot. Here are my choices: Xenosaga, Dark Cloud 2, Suikoden III, .hack, and maybe FF (if you think there is another out there that far outshines these then be so kind and let me know). Well, thanks for helping me out, it is/will be much appreciated!
Old 03-05-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't played any RPGs for the PS2 yet but my friend totally loved Suikoden III.
Old 03-05-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm currently playing .hack. I like it. It's short, and it's a cool story. It is only the first part of a four part series, so unless you're willing to play the rest of them, it probably isn't the best choice for you.
Old 03-05-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jw2299
I'm currently playing .hack. I like it. It's short, and it's a cool story. It is only the first part of a four part series, so unless you're willing to play the rest of them, it probably isn't the best choice for you.
How short is it? Any and how many side quests?
Old 03-05-03, 10:17 PM

I would steer away from Dark Cloud 2, I played the first one, got pretty damn bored by the time I hit 8hrs. I played some of Suikoden, one major pet peeve I had with that game, it seems a lot of the towns are really huge with tons of people. For some people that is a good thing, I dont really appreciate that. FFX is kind of dull, seems more like a rip off of FF8, if I remember correctly it was the same development team, but it seems they left in all the annoyances of 8 and left out all the good stuff.
Old 03-05-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by menaz
I would steer away from Dark Cloud 2, I played the first one, got pretty damn bored by the time I hit 8hrs. I played some of Suikoden, one major pet peeve I had with that game, it seems a lot of the towns are really huge with tons of people. For some people that is a good thing, I dont really appreciate that. FFX is kind of dull, seems more like a rip off of FF8, if I remember correctly it was the same development team, but it seems they left in all the annoyances of 8 and left out all the good stuff.
Have you played Dark Cloud 2? becuase it could be really different from the first one. But from what you're saying, there isn't really one thats good to play on ps2. Have you played one that you enjoyed? I hope so, cuz i wanna play one!
Old 03-06-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kingdom Hearts is also a good game
Old 03-06-03, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
I hear DC 2 is just great and miles better than the original. I think that's the next title I will pick up. You can read Gamespot's glowing review here.
Old 03-06-03, 08:59 AM

I would with out a doubt go with FFX. It is a fantastic game with a great storyline and deep characters. For a casual RPG gamer, I think it would be perfect for you because it is a bit linear. You always know where to go next so you won't get frustrated with roaming endlessly around not knowing what to do. This is actually a game that you will be able to finish with out the help of a guide. It is possible to finish it in about 35-40 hours if you speed past all the cut sceens and don't read some of the dialogue but it actually took me 82 hours to beat it because I liked to level up and revisit places, plus try to get most everything in the game. The other good thing about this RPG is the fact that all of the dialogue between the main characters is spoken so you constantly do not have to read what they are saying. Plus, the voice acting is some of the best ever in a game. Cheesy sometimes but overall, very well done.

Go with this one, you'll really love it.

DARTH GAMER
Old 03-06-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest buying Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. Easily the most original RPG to come around since Earthbound on the SNES. The play mechanics are great and the battles are filled to the brim with strategy. If you're looking for something different than the typical "Assembly Line Anime RPG of the Week" this is the one to pick up.

Instead of simply watching a story unfold, in this game you actually get to play a game. The opening intro lasts about 45 seconds and you're in control of your character, and you're maybe 3 minutes away from actually jumping into the labyrinth and battling monsters.

My opinion from an old school NES/SNES RPGer. If that's not your taste, follow the suggestions above.
Old 03-06-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Gideon68
How short is it? Any and how many side quests?
People say 15-30 hours, depending on how much wandering you do. I like to do a lot, so I'm 23 hours in and I still have a few more tasks to complete. (I only know this b/c I thumbed through a strategy guide yesterday) As far as side quests, there aren't many. There are some tasks you don't have to do to complete the game, but there aren't a lot. YOu can raise gruntys (.hack's answer to chocobos), but that really isn't that much fun. All in all, I like the game. In this case the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Edit: I quoted the wrong post - fixed.

Last edited by jw2299; 03-06-03 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-06-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dunno - I liked the original Dark Cloud, (just need to get through the bonus levels) and would recommend it or its sequel, but as always, YMMV.
Old 03-06-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Xenosaga: I have this one. I love it, but it does have a ton of cutscenes, and I can understand the complaint that you watch it more than you play it.

Dark Cloud 2: Supposedly much, much better than Dark Cloud 1. Brilliant cell-shaded graphics, but the dungeons are random and the overall concept of building your own town doesn't really appeal to me.

Suikoden III: I would say that this is the best "traditional" rpg. Over 100 characters (though not all of them are useful), six different storylines that wrap together. Graphically, it can't really compare to Xenogears or DC2, though. The one major complaint is the battle system: you have up to six characters, but you can really only control them in pairs, not individually. So if you have one guy casting a spell, you hope that the other guy is going to attack, but it's not always certain. Lots of sidequests (mostly to get all your characters)

.hack\: Short, and if you're in it for story, you're not going to get much (since it is part one of four). Included anime dvd, if you like that (different from the tv show). I believe you only control one character, much like Kingdom Hearts, with moderate control over the two backup characters. And random dungeons. ugh.

FFX: Never played it, but seems much like FF VIII. A good pickup if you like previous FF games, but I'm still waiting for it to go to Greatest Hits status (maybe when FFX2 comes out?). Right now it's retailing for around 40, so it's the cheapest (and oldest) of the bunch.

Breath of Fire: I've heard it's really hard (pretty much requiring you to die and start over with improved stats, to not only survive but see all of the cut scenes). May not really appeal to a casual RPG gamer.

You might also want to consider Wild Arms 3, which I've heard good things about and is available at Target for 20 bucks (hopefully GH soon).
Old 03-06-03, 11:41 AM
Cool New Member

I am a big fan of RPGs in general, but I tend to like the ones that are not turned based. Also, I get bored during insanely long cut scenes. That is why I like games like Morrowind on the X-Box or any of the Zelda games. I am definitely not one for the Final Fantasy series, but I can see how people can get into them.

I just recently bought Dark Cloud 2, and I am definitely hooked. It is very unique, it looks great, and it has a really inventive system for building up weapons, and crazy machines. It reminds me of Laputa which is a classic cartoon from the maker of Spirited Away. Anyway, Dark Cloud 2 seems to me like a mix between Zelda and Final Fantasy in a way. I am enjoying it, and I think it is definitely worth a look.
Old 03-06-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
I really enjoyed Final Fantasy X, don't care for Dark Cloud 2 (haven't played it a massive amount but it just isn't all that interesting to me.) And while compelling at times, Suikoden 3 is a really, really slow game.

I also thought Kingdom Hearts got old pretty fast.

I dunno, pick up Xenosaga, hear thats great.

-Rich
Old 03-06-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come to think of it, Everquest: Online Adventures is an option now - haven't seen or played it though.
Old 03-07-03, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a lot of your comments were very helpful in helping me get a clearer picture of these games. thanks!

but...i'm still unsure. hehe. It looks like i'm leaning towards Dark Cloud 2. I don't know why, but i'm not a huge fan of FF games, but from what you said Darth Gamer, it does sound something I would be interested in. Wild Arms 3 is 20 bucks huh? I should look into that one. xenosaga looks decent too, but the many cut scenes worry me.

.hack is too short, and no, i will not buy 4 games for one storyline. i didn't watch the anime so i'm not really into it.

well, the weekend is here, maybe i should just randomly choose one...
Old 03-07-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Would reminding you that the PS2 can play all the old PSX RPGs be pointless? Just wondering.

I'd like to know more about Dragon Quarter. What is the battle system like? The usual Final Fantasy select, wait, select, wait kind of thing?

tks
Old 03-07-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
Would reminding you that the PS2 can play all the old PSX RPGs be pointless? Just wondering.

actually, i never really thought of getting an older game, but that is a good idea to look into.
Old 03-07-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In that case look at Vagrant Story. One of Square's lesser known epic's. Might be hard to find now but it was awesome at the time on PS1. Plus you can use the PS2's game enhancing features to improve the load times and smooth out the graphics to make it look even better. It's more of an action RPG though.
Old 03-07-03, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by KrackerBox
actually, i never really thought of getting an older game, but that is a good idea to look into.
In that case, I will have to recommend my favorite RPG of all time on the PS1. THE LEGEND OF DRAGOON !!!!!!! I was absolutely devistated when the game ended. Not because It was sad or anything like that but I just Wanted more of the game. Its that Good. A very unique Battle system where its turn based combat but, every time you attack, if you time your button hits correctly, you can inflict more and more damage by way of combos. sounds weird but if you play it, you'll love it. Great characters that you actually care about and a very compelling story. Plus its a greatest hits game.

Trust me, You'll Love it!!!!

DARTH GAMER
Old 03-07-03, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
. Plus, the voice acting is some of the best ever in a game. Cheesy sometimes but overall, very well done.

Holy cow, have you HEARD Tidus voice/acting, its horrible, does not fit the character one bit. The best I would say is Lulu and Rikku, rest of the characters are Ok, but they really should have done a better job with the main character.

Someone I know just bought Dark Cloud 2 and Xenosaga, I will be trying those out this weekend.

If you are seriously considering an older game Legend of Dragoon would definately be a good idea. Excellent game.
Old 03-08-03, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
In that case, I will have to recommend my favorite RPG of all time on the PS1. THE LEGEND OF DRAGOON !!!!!!! I was absolutely devistated when the game ended. Not because It was sad or anything like that but I just Wanted more of the game. Its that Good. A very unique Battle system where its turn based combat but, every time you attack, if you time your button hits correctly, you can inflict more and more damage by way of combos. sounds weird but if you play it, you'll love it. Great characters that you actually care about and a very compelling story. Plus its a greatest hits game.

Trust me, You'll Love it!!!!

DARTH GAMER
i'll check the legend of dragoon out. hopefully it's cheap!
Old 03-25-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Just wanted to update. I picked up Dark Cloud 2. I'm not much of an RPG'er, but I really like this game. It's fun and looks really great. It may not be as good as Zelda, but I'd recommend it based on my limited play with it so far.