Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ratchet & Clank Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-03, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ratchet & Clank Review

Using the engine from Naughty Dog, Ratchet and Clank is a must play game for everyone who owns a PS2. After a 25 hour investment, this game leaves you fulfilled and begging for a sequel.

Gameplay
Because of the use of Naughty Dog's engine, this game plays a lot like Jax and Daxter. You play the role of Ratchet, a weird animal thing who spends his time repairing old machines and is trying to build a space ship to leave his planet, but is missing an ignition system. You witness a crash and go investigate. You find Clank, an escaped robot, who is trying to save the solar system from Drek, a evil villian who is trying to create a new planet for his people after destroying his last one. You agree to help Clank get to where he needs to go in exchage for using his ignition system to fly your spacecraft.

For the majority of the game, Clank hangs on your back and assist you in moving about the worlds, though you do occasionally get to travel as just Ratchet or just Clank. You travel to different planets, collecting bolts (which you use to buy weapons and amo), solving simple puzzles and most of all, killing enemies. The game does require some skill as some areas are not so easy. This where I liked the game, because when I played Jax and Daxter, I felt that it was too easy. This game has the perfect difficulty for any level of play.

You also have a reward system. You can collect hidden golden bolts inorder to upgrade your weapons to gold status and complete task to unlock movies after you beat the game. It gives you some sort of replay value, but it is a platformer, so there isn't much of that anyway.

Weapons
Yeah, I know, this isn't a normal catagory of review, but weapons are what really make this game. You start out with a wrench, which can be used in nearly any situation. You can either swing it like a sword, jump and come down with it like an axe, or throw it like a boomarang. This ends up being the weapon you use the most. Then you have an array of weapons that are simply the coolest weapons ever. You have your standard gun that shoots energy bullets and a rocket launcher, but you also have weapons like "Glove or Doom" which drops a capsle which releases little robots that go up to your enemies and explode. You have a gun that turns your enemies into chickens... CHICKENS!!! Then you have the ultimate weapon, the R.Y.N.O. which stands for "Rip Ya a New One". And it certainly does. If there is any reason to go buy this game, its just play with all the cool weapons you can get.

Sound
Some of the best audio tracks I have heard in a long time. I really loved listening to the different songs throughout the game. Each planet has a different song which they loop and I never got annoyed or bored with any of them. The sound effects where also spot on, nothing sounded fake or out of place.

Graphics
This game is beautiful. The PS2 gets a lot of crap because some games look poopie on it, but this isn't one of them. This game really shows that the PS2 can deliver great looking games without slowdown. There were a few parts of the game that could have looked a little more detailed, but for the most part, everything was gorgeous.

Conclusion
Go buy this game. Go buy this game now. If you own a PS2 and enjoy platformers, you should own this game. I can't recommend this game enough. This game provides total fun and doesn't crap out at points and make you think, "when is this over" or "that was rediculous". I really have trouble finding any flaws in this game. I guess the only complaint I have is that it took so much extra work to get the R.Y.N.O., but that is expected for such a powerful weapon. This cut scenes are full of comic overtones and sometimes make you fall on the floor laughing. There is nothing more I can really say, except buy this game.

Note: I had the worst hangover when I wrote this. Please let me know if you liked the game as well or if I'm just full of ****.
Old 02-15-03, 11:40 AM
Banned

Good review.

I've had this game for a few months now, and love it. Sadly, because of SOCOM and Madden, I have yet to beat it, but it's so much fun. The hoverboard race is pretty tough, and thats where I'm "stuck" on; and I've gotta figure out a way on how to get the Ryno.

Anywho, I agree with the conclusion. Anyone who likes platformers, or who wants to get into platformers, this is the way to go. While you're at it, pick up Jax & Daxter.
Old 02-15-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There must be another, harder hoverboard race. I'm 11 hours into the game and I've already won 1 hoverboard race (which was hard, but if I can beat it, it can't be the really hard one).

I'm a platformer wuss. I don't like them because I really suck at them. But this game is great. It's getting a little tough 11 hours in (again, see the wuss statement), but I still love it.
Old 02-15-03, 12:14 PM
Banned

There are two hoverboard races. There is some strategy to winning that took a while to figure out, but once you find it, it shouldn't take you long to master it.
Old 02-15-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll pick this up when the price is $19.99 ala Jak and Daxter!!!
Old 02-15-03, 01:13 PM

This is the best platform game on PS2. Very original and innovative. I stopped playing Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper for this. A must for all PS2 owners.
Old 02-15-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Feel I must chime in to say that I loved it also.
Old 02-15-03, 03:54 PM

Re: Ratchet & Clank Review

Originally posted by joshd2012
I guess the only complaint I have is that it took so much extra work to get the R.Y.N.O., but that is expected for such a powerful weapon.

There is a way to get bolts while you sleep. To do this, go to the first hover board race. After the 2nd turn, go to the lower bridge, hit the group of boxes on the right side. You must hit them all and fall to the water. After this, you will be where before you hit the boxes again. With a proper angle, this will be repeated over and over. If you're comfortable with the angle, put a rubber band to the controller and leave it playing while watching a TV or before going to bed. You should get 100,000 bolts in the morning.
Old 02-15-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
I LOVE this game. What a blast. I think it plays a lot better than Jak, and it certainly is longer and more varied.
I had a hard time with the stupid hoverboard race for a long time until it occured to me that all you really need to do is steer left or right. I switched from using the analog stick to the D buttons and it made it much easier.

Another way to get bolts faster is to go as giant Clank, beat the mechs, then walk off the cliff. When you resapwn, you'll be invincable and can take out the mechs over and over again at 1500 bolts a time. This will net you a big total with little work.

Last edited by Decker; 02-15-03 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-15-03, 10:03 PM
Banned

To get the needed bolts, I just replayed the first and forth planets over and over. You can accumulate tons of bolts and you do not need to use any weapons at all. Sure, it took a while, but the R.Y.N.O. is one sweet gun.
Old 02-15-03, 10:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved this game. It got me back into platformers again. And I'm pretty sure that the janitor from Scrubs plays the guy who sells you weapons. They sound awful alike, anyways.