Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

[XBOX] Indy IGN review - anyone care to share?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-14-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm soooooooooo close to buying this one at GameStop's pre-order deal (get Jedi Starfighter free, free shipping). I just want to know if it's any good first...

I've read conflicting reports on this one, but the fact it's XBOX first makes me believe it won't suffer from PS2 port-itis. I've also heard the camera is problematic, and controls are a bit sluggish. If it's anything like Spiderman, I won't buy.

IGN has a review - can anyone post the summary? Thanks,

Jeremy
Old 02-14-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's Ok to post the closing comments in addition to the score but if it's not, feel free to edit this mods.
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is Tomb Raider meets Pitfall. Only the adventure aspects fall far short of the original Tomb Raider and the platforming action goes a bit overboard at times. There are lots of flaws in the game, but it's not a bad title. I had a lot of fun playing Indy and even if I wasn't reviewing the game, I'd have been compelled enough to see it through the 12 or so hours of gameplay to the end. It's fun and a bit addictive. But there are a ton of flaws to be found and the puzzle design is so incredibly meager it hurts the game a great deal.

The final score doesn't quite match my overall enjoyment of the game, but again, the muck-ups and nearly non-existent puzzle elements hurt a lot. This isn't a game you'll play twice, but anyone looking for a dozen mindless hours of action and platforming should at least rent Indy. It's worth a look at least to see if it's worthy of your money. A good rental, but not really the best $50 investment you could make.

-- Hilary Goldstein

_

Presentation
It's got the music and a great Harrison Ford voice double. The storyline is good, but could have benefited from more cut-scenes.

Graphics
One of the best-looking N64 games around. Unfortunately, it's on Xbox. Major clipping issues and visible seems. Good character models and animations, though.

Sound
A can't miss score with some rock-solid voice-over work, including a near-perfect Harrison Ford voice double. If only those sound effects could rock Indy's world.

Gameplay
A weaker version of the Buffy engine. A mixture of AI smarts and serious flaws. Ridiculously easy puzzles saved only by great incorporation of Indy's moves.

Lasting Appeal
Despite some major muck-ups in the AI and some weak gameplay areas, it's addictive enough to see through to the end. No replay value, however.

OVERALL SCORE (not an average)
Old 02-15-03, 01:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought the demo was fun, but it was obviously the Buffy engine. They just took out the vampires and put in "smugglers." If this one goes down to $10 like Buffy did, I'm there baby!
Old 02-15-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Surprised it got such a low score from them -- the guys at www.teamxbox.com and others have given it pretty consistent ratings. www.gamerankings.com is your friend: http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/22229.asp

Given that I still haven't played Buffy, I'll almost certainly pick this up next week.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-15-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Given that I still haven't played Buffy, I'll almost certainly pick this up next week.

Tuan Jim
Cool. Let us know what you think about it then.
Old 02-15-03, 02:04 PM

Same guys who made Buffy is alkll you need to know. That's a great game
Old 02-15-03, 04:28 PM

well, considering that deal you mentioned From GameStop, it almost makes the games 24.99 each, so I bet each game is worth about that at least :-)