Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

S-Video Cable for gamecube?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-03, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-Video Cable for gamecube?

I just got a gc recently and while I'm looking for the official nintendo s-video cable, it doesn't seem to exist, is this correct? There is no official s-vid gamecube cable?

So I ended up getting one of those mad catz universal cable that can hook up to 4 different consoles, I still haven't opened it thinking I was wrong and they do have official nintendo cables.

Oh and how about those $35 monster cable for the gc, is it really worth it? Does it really make that much of a diffence than the $10 cable that I got?

Can someone shed some light to my questions?

Oh and it also feels good to be a member of the trifecta club.
Old 02-14-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't buy Monster cables ever. They're not worth it. I'm not sure if there is a Nintendo-made s-video cable, but I've never seen one. I know that Nintendo only sells their component cable on their website, so you might check there. I use a third party s-video cable and it works great. The picture is noticably better than it was with the standard composite cable and I've had no trouble with it at all. I'd say you should just open the cable you bought and enjoy it.
Old 02-14-03, 01:33 AM
Banned

Can you get progressive scan in games w/ S-Video, or do you need component?

Also, for PS2 do you need component cables for progressive scan? I already have a monster s-video for my ps2, so I hope not.
Old 02-14-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by William Wallace
Can you get progressive scan in games w/ S-Video, or do you need component?

Also, for PS2 do you need component cables for progressive scan? I already have a monster s-video for my ps2, so I hope not.
I'm pretty sure you always need component cables for progressive scan. I don't have a progressive scan TV though, so I'm not absolutely sure.
Old 02-14-03, 01:46 AM

Tnx for the tip focker. I guess it's gonna be a long nintendo weekend, with metroid prime and OOT.

Oh and braveheart, I don't think you can get progressive with s_vid, someting with combing your hair or something. I think only comp cables can do progressive. Someone out there with more tech knowledge kindly help him out pls. Must get some sleep......
Old 02-14-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nintendo's online store does have the S-vid cable for sale for ~$15. I bought some random one off of ebay for ~$5 shipped, and it works great. Progressive scan is only available for the GCN by buying the component vid. cables online.

Whichever you decide to use, it's going to be much, much better than composite, so you can't go wrong, really.
Old 02-14-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought the official S video cable for my N64 and I'm now using it on the GameCube. I know Nintendo makes one, but it might be hard to find.
Old 02-14-03, 10:51 AM

I have an official S-Vid cable. Got it years ago for the SNES, used it on the N64, and now have it hooked up to my GCN. I've seen the Pelican version for GCN with S-Vid and composite for $8. Unless you have multiple consoles, it's the best deal out there.

I second avoiding Monster. There's nothing wrong with them pers se, but there's nothing about them that requires you shelling out so much dough. It's like buying the brand name drug for $40 when the generic version does the same thing for $8. You can buy a used game for the difference.

You need the offical Nintendo component cable for progressive scan, and it can only be ordered directly from Nintendo. You cannot progressive scan with S-Video and no third party makes a GCN component cable. Dunno why.

Last edited by Hanson; 02-14-03 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-14-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use, I think, a pelican one. Kmart has tons of s-video cables on clerance. I gave I think $5 each for two of them. One for Gamecube the other splits time between SNES and N64.
Old 02-14-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I think the general consensus here on a similar thread a while back is that all S-video cables are basically the same, so might as well go generic. Though I do think that multiple system one doesn't look all that great aesthetically, and the 5 dollar ones are fine.

Monster cables are ridiculously overpriced, especially when you can get similar quality non-brand-name cables, but they are better than the cheapie cables. Not worth it in this case, though.

Progressive scan is only through component cables, which are only available through Nintendo's site. No third party company makes them. If you have multiple systems, you also have to find another way to switch them. Plugging the three components into a composite switcher works fine, but then you have to find another way to switch the audio, if your TV doesn't have enough component inputs for your game systems and DVD player (which should get priority). If that makes any sense at all.
Old 02-14-03, 11:39 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You pretty much have to order the S-video cable from Nintendo's store.

BTW it is the same as the SNES and N64 ones, totatlly identically. Actually the one I ordered came in SNES labled packaging. So if you have an S-video cable for one of those systems you can just use it.
Old 02-14-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
You pretty much have to order the S-video cable from Nintendo's store.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=21200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20389

etc.
Old 02-14-03, 02:41 PM

How about gold trimmings, I mean gold tipped cables, I heard they really kick it up a notch, and not just for the aesthetic bling bling purpose. Is this just another myth?

Tnx again for the tip fellas' I'm going generic, and might even dig up my old N64 and see if I got s_vid on that. There's just something pushing me to dig up my old n64.....
Old 02-14-03, 06:43 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, ebay is always an option. I was only considering real stores.