Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

cheapest way to buy ps2? (coupons, discounts, etc)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this may seem similar to my other post, but I'm more asking about any available deals that would make a $200 ps2 cheaper. I don't think i can wait for a possible price cut in may. I know there is a 10% off on Target, and a 15 off 200 from buy.com But that is the best i could come up with. How about you guys?
Old 02-12-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here I will describe the best deal for a PS2 right now (if you don't want a PS2 bundle & you have a good credit history). I challenge anyone to find a cheaper deal (I doubt you'll be able to find one).

Go to www.sony.com/sonycard. Apply for a Citibank Sony card. Once you are approved, you get 5000 Sony points just for getting the card. 5000 Sony points equals $50. Make your PS2 purchase for $200 using your new credit card. Since you bought it using your Sony card, you get triple Sony points. That means you get 600 pts. 5000 + 600 = 5600 pts. Redeem your pts immediately for $56.

There. You got a PS2 for $144. If you make other purchases with your Sony card then you get more discounts.

Of course, this is all contingent on you having a good credit history and paying off your credit card balance in full each month.

Throughout the 2001 calendar year, the Sony card had a promotion where you could get 10x Sony pts for every PS2 game/accessory purchase. I took advantage of that promotion to essentially get 10% off all PS2 stuff in addition to any store sales, specials, etc.

Credit cards with reward programs are cool.
Old 02-12-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, thats pretty good. It is a good deal , although i really don't like applying for more cc. But i can see how this could come handy down the road.
Old 02-12-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Joshic
Here I will describe the best deal for a PS2 right now (if you don't want a PS2 bundle & you have a good credit history). I challenge anyone to find a cheaper deal (I doubt you'll be able to find one).

Go to www.sony.com/sonycard. Apply for a Citibank Sony card. Once you are approved, you get 5000 Sony points just for getting the card. 5000 Sony points equals $50. Make your PS2 purchase for $200 using your new credit card. Since you bought it using your Sony card, you get triple Sony points. That means you get 600 pts. 5000 + 600 = 5600 pts. Redeem your pts immediately for $56.

There. You got a PS2 for $144. If you make other purchases with your Sony card then you get more discounts.

Of course, this is all contingent on you having a good credit history and paying off your credit card balance in full each month.

Throughout the 2001 calendar year, the Sony card had a promotion where you could get 10x Sony pts for every PS2 game/accessory purchase. I took advantage of that promotion to essentially get 10% off all PS2 stuff in addition to any store sales, specials, etc.

Credit cards with reward programs are cool.
I already have a PS2, but I have a question.

So, do you trade in your sony points for cash, or credit to your bill? Or do they act as some type of discount at the point of sale?
Old 02-12-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

https://sonycard.sel.sony.com/sonycard/html/entry.html
The sony card is GREAT, i have one and use it for ALL my purchases just to bring in the points.

You get a point for every dollar you spend. Every 100 points = $1, so essentially it is 1% cash back on ALL purchases.

Triple for any Sony product (must fill out, mail in paperwork for the triple) 3%

Some times quintuple for certain promotions, and 6 times when you buy off of sonystyle.com

The points accumulate and are recorded on your bill.

In order to redem your points, you must make a sony purchase, then fill out and mail in a form.

Over 3 years i accumulated 10,000+ points, and i got $100 off a $200 300 disc sony cd player.
Old 02-13-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, do you trade in your sony points for cash, or credit to your bill? Or do they act as some type of discount at the point of sale?
After you buy a Sony product, you mail in a form with your sales receipt, and you get a credit to your bill. Or if you buy directly from the rewards program, you use your points and they mail the product to you. But buying from the rewards program generally means paying MSRP, plus the selection is not so great, so it's not usually what you want to do.

I recently bought a Sony 34XBR800, and I got it for $2200 from a local authorized A/V dealer, plus $66 off because of the triple Sony pts on Sony purchases, plus I redeemed my 29000 pts I accumulated over the years. So I got the TV for about $1844. Which is a steal.

This also reminds me of the MSN Wallet deal back in the Holiday season. The MSN Wallet deal basically gave you 20% off a purchase. If you combined the MSN Wallet deal with the Sony credit card, you could have gotten a brand new PS2 for $104. Maybe I should have mentioned that back during the holidays. Oh well!
Old 02-14-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, that is really good. and yes, too bad it is past the holidays. i guess i just have to find another deal.
Old 02-14-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

not sure of all the details as I saw it on a sign in the window as I drove past the store, but my loca KB Toyworks store had Buy a PS2 for $199 get a free game (the free game was up to a certain $$$ amount, but I could not see the fine print).
Old 02-15-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sniper308
not sure of all the details as I saw it on a sign in the window as I drove past the store, but my loca KB Toyworks store had Buy a PS2 for $199 get a free game (the free game was up to a certain $$$ amount, but I could not see the fine print).

that acutally sounds pretty good. If i have time i'll check it out. Has anyoen else heard of this deal? The pres day sale at BB isn't a bad deal either. But not that much different from the taret 10% off.
Old 02-15-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found out that the kbtoys promotion is: buy a ps2 and get a free game among a selection of 6 titles. I don't remember all of them, but two of them were: Need for Speed 2 and Rygar. None of the games interested me.
Old 02-15-03, 09:25 PM

The other games you can get from kbtoys are Ninja Assault with Guncon, Jet X20, Red Faction 2 and Mark of Kri. Ninja Assault is worth the most since it comes with the gun.