Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sega Sports officially cancels GameCube lineup.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-03, 08:35 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...910518,00.html

Sega will no longer release its sports games for Nintendo's console.

Sega of America has officially announced that it will no longer produce Sega Sports games for the Nintendo GameCube. The company will instead focus its efforts on bringing sports games to the PlayStation 2 and the Xbox at the start of each season.

"Sega has been evaluating its resources and product lineup to ensure it is bringing the right games to the right platforms as the company builds toward becoming a profitable, independent content publisher," a Sega of America representative said. "After careful examination, Sega has made the strategic decision to support the Nintendo GameCube with a priority on delivering its leading entertainment properties such as Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Monkey Ball, proven franchises which have been top sellers on the system. Sega will focus its sports development resources on delivering its Sega Sports games to the PlayStation 2 and Xbox on time at the start of each season. Sega is committed to the Nintendo GameCube and will continue to support the platform with its leading entertainment properties, including the recently announced Sonic Adventure DX, as well as many other titles yet to be announced."

This announcement comes on the heels of Sega's recent decision to cancel World Series Baseball 2K3 for the system.
Wow. I knew Sega Sport games sold poorly on the Gamecube, but I didn't know it was that bad. Here is the justification from NPD's numbers:

Sales through December 31, 2003 (NPD/TRSTS)

NBA2K3

PS2: 283,410
XBox: 127,327
GameCube: 24,788

NFL2K3

PS2: 360,148
XBox: 176,002
GameCube: 41,530

NCAA Football 2K3

PS2: 100,381
XBox: 50,142
GameCube: 9,685

NCAA Basketball 2K3 (Released Late December)

PS2: 48,210
XBox: 40,500
GameCube: 3,725

I wonder if EA will follow suit or limit their release list to a few games.

Last edited by Flay; 02-07-03 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-07-03, 08:40 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No surprise given the poor sales.

Even I don't buy sports games for my GC. The memory cards are just too small. For instance it takes a whole Mem 251 to save a season of EA's NCAA Football 2003. Rather than buy a mem 251, I just bought the PS2 version.

Personally, with the exception of the NBA2K series, I prefer EAs offerings, so even if I only had a GC I wouldn't be all that upset.
Old 02-07-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so are gc owners not buying sports games at all? or are they buying alternates (eg EA versions)?

also, maybe asking for too much info... but are the percentages roughly equivalent? that is, like 5% of ps2 owners bought them, as well as 5% of the xbox and gc owners.

Last edited by young; 02-07-03 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-07-03, 08:50 PM

Sega Saturn...
Old 02-07-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by young
so are gc owners not buying sports games at all? or are they buying alternates (eg EA versions)?

also, maybe asking for too much info... but are the percentages roughly equivalent? that is, like 5% of ps2 owners bought them, as well as 5% of the xbox and gc owners.
I have to say that I am a GC owner and not into Sports games. I also have to admit if I was interested in sports games, I'd probably buy another console to play them on.

I bought my GC for the RE series, Metroid Prime, etc.

I will probably buy an X-Box before too long, and would have bought one sooner if I were interested in sports games.
Old 02-07-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
No surprise given the poor sales.

Even I don't buy sports games for my GC. The memory cards are just too small. For instance it takes a whole Mem 251 to save a season of EA's NCAA Football 2003. Rather than buy a mem 251, I just bought the PS2 version.

Personally, with the exception of the NBA2K series, I prefer EAs offerings, so even if I only had a GC I wouldn't be all that upset.
How big is mem 251?
Old 02-07-03, 09:23 PM
Retired

Don't know size wise.

It has 251 blocks of memory, compared to 59 blocks on the mem 59 card.

It's a great deal smaller than the 8MB PS2 mem cards. I have an NCAA 2003 dyansty, and NFL2K3 season and a bunch of normal games saves with room to spare on my ps2 card.
Old 02-07-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sega is partly to blame for the poor sales of 2K3 on the Cube. NFL 2K3 was a sloppy port with terrible graphics compared to even the PS2 and NBA 2K3 locks up frequently when you play it. A problem still not corrected by Sega.

The problem is also the memory cards though its probably not as bad as people think. I have a season of All Star Baseball 2003, a Franchise mode of Madden 2003 and a Franchise mode and roster save on NBA 2K3 all on the same 251 memory card. I also had room for Knockout Kings 2003 and Beach Spikers.

Thats five sports games on one $20 card. The big problem is with College football which takes an entire 251 card by itself. Still Nintendo should have released a 8MB card at launch and them not doing it is about the dumbest move I've ever seen.

Also, the sales numbers for Sega Sports games are pretty pathetic on every console. Its not all the Cube's fault.

As far as EA following, its possible but EA has always been a strong supporter of Nintendo. They may cut out some of the more obscure sports stuff, but I'm betting I will be playing Madden 2004 on the Cube.

As far as buying sports games, I have 28 GameCube games and 7 are sports titles. So I'm doing my best.
Old 02-07-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love NFL 2K3 on the Cube, so this is a big disappointment. The GC is my only console from this generation (if you don't count the Dreamcast). I'll miss the variety.

I haven't really tried any recent incarnations of the Madden engine, but I have an unopened copy of NCAA 2003 for my GC.
Old 02-08-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SEGA handled this whole thing badly. First, they made crappy ports for the Cube and then wonder why they don't sell well. Next they pull the titles even though it's almost certain that sales would pick up (the Cube's userbase grows everyday and SEGA's sports games are too good not to sell well).

I'd really like to know what amount of sales are needed to justify making a port. It can't be that great a number.
Old 02-08-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
SEGA handled this whole thing badly. First, they made crappy ports for the Cube and then wonder why they don't sell well.
My thoughts exactly. Personally, since I don't play or like traditional sports games, I'm glad they did this. I havne't played any football or baseball games since the NES. Sega won't have to waste their time doing ports of lackluster games anymore, from the announcement that was posted, it sounds like they are going to concentrate on making their powerhouse titles, like Sonic and SMB for the Gamecube, that would mean that its almost certain that Sonic Adventure 3 will be on the Gamecube. I'd much rather have those kinds of games than sports ones on the Cube, Virtua Fighter Quest anyone?
Old 02-08-03, 01:21 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Wow, those are bad #'s.

I play all my sports games on my xbox so it's not that big a deal to me. IMO the 2K basketball games are the only ones worth buying anyways since they blow live and EAs college games away.
Old 02-08-03, 04:04 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

When Sega makes a game that does not work properly for ANYONE, and simply refuses to correct the problem, they should be ashamed for the finger pointing. In my opinion, their sports division has been on a steady decline since the 2K1 series of games, and it is doubling in poorness each year. Good riddance, and hello EA...
Old 02-08-03, 04:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Sounds like sour grapes for some of you guys. I didn't realize they were releasing bad games though, how come this didn't get any press? At least none that I saw.

I think the 2K series is the best for all sports, but the GCN isn't a sports console, plain and simple. My guess is anyone who owns it either doesn't care about sports or if they do, also owns one of the other two consoles.
Old 02-08-03, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Sounds like sour grapes for some of you guys. I didn't realize they were releasing bad games though, how come this didn't get any press? At least none that I saw.

I think the 2K series is the best for all sports, but the GCN isn't a sports console, plain and simple. My guess is anyone who owns it either doesn't care about sports or if they do, also owns one of the other two consoles.

I agree with you in that the 2k series is the best for all sports, if you're looking for a more realistic game. And some of you guys do sound just a little bitter towards sega. Well, I don't have any of these systems so, i guess i dont' have to worry.
Old 02-08-03, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to Edge magazine EA just announced that next year's lineup will be online for the Cube.

Sorry no link.
Old 02-08-03, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, I just wanted to add taht I do play a lot of these sports games even though i don't own any system myself. Being in college i live near many people who i play hours of sports games with.
Old 02-08-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see why everyone says the Cube isn't a good sports console. This SEGA situation aside the Cube is pretty good for sports. If you're an EA fan and a Cube owner with an extra Memory Card 251 then you should still be pretty happy.
Old 02-08-03, 10:11 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Kellehair
I don't see why everyone says the Cube isn't a good sports console. This SEGA situation aside the Cube is pretty good for sports. If you're an EA fan and a Cube owner with an extra Memory Card 251 then you should still be pretty happy.
I've heard people complain about the controller not being good for sports games. Personally, I think it does take some time to adapt to the Cube's controller especially if you have ever tried the PS2 controller for sporting games.

The Cube does get a good sports selection, Sega situation aside. Besides EA Sports, it has an excellent selection of offbeat sports titles like the Disney Sports series, Backyard series, and a inordinate amount of soccer games.

Speaking of soccer, does Sega's pullout mean Sega Soccer Slam won't get a sequal? I thought it sold very well on the cube. It was made by Visual Concepts (people who make 2KX series).

It's also a shame Sega didn't try out it's whole lineup. It's superb tennis game may have sold well. I think it would have catered to the Cube crowd.
Old 02-08-03, 10:22 AM

sad to see this, but i have to say something. Most gamecube owners i know(including myself) only really buy the big nintendo games. the sales are probably because of those types of people and the save sizes, i would buy sport games for gcn but I can't afford to buy another memory card just for one game!
Old 02-08-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just don't put Nintendo and Sports games in the same sentence. I had a Super Nintendo and a Genesis and played my sports games on the genesis. I had a Playstation and a N64 and used my PSX for sports. Now I have an X-Box and GC and of course, use my X-Box. And i'm very sure the same sentiments are felt all over the board.
Old 02-08-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
How is it sour grapes?

NBA 2K3 locks up when you play it. Thats a fact. Go to the forum at Segasports.com and check http://boards.sega.com/cgi-bin/segas...m=57&topic=406 (one of several threads about it). Sega had to acknowledge the problem after GamePro magazine questioned it and they admited it, but have done nothing yet to fix it. How is this something that could even be released on the market?

NFL 2K3 is the worst looking version of the three. Read any review of the game and you will see it. There is no excuse for the game looking worse on the Cube than it did on the PS2.

I love Sega Sports since the Dreamcast and I bought both NFL and NBA 2K3 for $50 each on the day they were launched. Sega rewarded me with very bad ports. They have no one to blame but themselves. I returned NFL for Madden. EA did a very good job on Madden for the Cube so I also picked up Tiger and Knockout Kings. All are great on the Cube.

I didn't like NBA Live so I stuck with NBA 2K3, but its frustrating the lock up problems haven't been fixed.

I hate the PS2 controller so I really don't want to use it for my sports games. I may have no option for NBA 2K3 though. My hope is EA will continue to improve Live and I will have no need for Sega Sports anymore.

Last edited by darkside; 02-08-03 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-08-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought NHL2k3 looks better on the cube than the xbox rev...
Old 02-08-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I only have the gamecube of the three consoles, and I don't buy most sports games (TH series excluded). I bought the GC because the games were better (imo) for 1 person, offline stuff. I don't have time to play online or with others generally.

If I were a big sports gamer, I would have bought a different system in the begining, so this is no suprise, nor is it a big dea.
Old 02-08-03, 01:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah, graphically the Nintendo version of NHL2K3 was the best.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.