Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question for people with multiple consoles hooked up to one TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-03, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for people with multiple consoles hooked up to one TV

How do you connect them up? Right now I've got a setup with a 4 connector switch, but I'm running out. I have a PS2, GC, DC, PS1 connected right now. (Had to take out the VCR cuz I wasn't using it and I didn't have room.) Now if I get a Xbox that's gonna force me to remove one more thing again. (Probably the PS1)

I was wondering if there was a solution that would let me connect more? I guess I can get another 4 connector to connect 7 things, but that seems less than desirable. If there is 6 connector or 8 connector switch that anyone can recommend, please tell me where I might purchase. (Preferably online.) Also, any other suggestion is greatly appreciated.

For those who want to suggest better hook-up solutions, I play PS2 and GC mainly. (When I get X-Box, that also.) I rarely watch VCR, although I have a couple of favorites on tape that I pop in now and then. (Not available on DVD.) I sometimes play DC and PS1 games, but not as much as almost no new games come out. (And if they do, it's mostly crap or a watered-down version available on PS2. The only new game that I am waiting for is Final Fantasy Origins.)

After reading what I wrote... it makes me sound like someone with no life. LOL... make fun of me if you want. (I am a freelance translator / computer science student. Although, gaming is mostly a hobby for me, sometimes I translate games so I need to be able to play them to know what they are about. I am currently trying to set up a Internet based company that does translations for other companies.)

I don't know if anybody even read this far... but if you did, thanks for reading.
Old 01-30-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
get a TV with more connector thingies.

anyway - why do you need a PS1 when you have a PS2?
Answer: you don't.
Old 01-30-03, 04:05 PM

Trigger: I haven't seen a TV with more than 3 connection thingies... so probably not the best way either.

As for having a PS1 that's just for convenience. I hate taking out the memory card and replacing it every time I wanna play a PS1 game. (And then again swap to play PS2 game. Wish they had allowed games to be saved on PS2 memory cards.)
Old 01-30-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, you should be able to get another switch and link one through the other. Or, you could just buy a receiver.
Old 01-30-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My TV has 5 "connection thingies" and my receiver has about 8, but I lost count. Anyway I have an Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, DVD player, 2 VCRs, and my receiver all working in concert.
Old 01-30-03, 04:18 PM

karnblack: what brand & model is your TV?

Xanager, karnblack: What is a receiver? (Is it something that functions like a switch but digital rather than analog?) Where can I buy them and approx how much?
Old 01-30-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you can buy a box at Electronics Boutique or Wal-Mart that allows you to connect like 5 systems up and have push button control of which one is active. I have one, saves the hassle of switching in and out cables.
Old 01-30-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by regnasta
karnblack: what brand & model is your TV?

Xanager, karnblack: What is a receiver? (Is it something that functions like a switch but digital rather than analog?) Where can I buy them and approx how much?
My TV:

Toshiba 34HF81 34” HD Widescreen Monitor

My receiver:

Yamaha RXV1200 Home Theater Receiver

Short definition: A receiver is basically the centerpiece/switchboard of a home theater. All of your components hook up to it including your speakers and TV, and you control everything with a remote.
Old 01-30-03, 04:48 PM

I run all my gaming stuff through my stereo receiver. Makes for easy switching between boxes. My TV has two different Component inputs so I can have the DVD player and XBOX hooked up and running in component mode. Fun, easy and looks great.
Old 01-30-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.madcatz.com/MadCatz/produ...roduct_id=6015
Old 01-30-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

lol
your life sounds like mine.
as of now:
i have 2 switch boxes 1 s-video, 1-composite
s-video has:
xbox
ps2
gamecube
dc

composite:
n64
ps1
saturn
Old 01-30-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
My VVega only has one component input, so I have component cables running from my DVD player and my XBox into a composite switchbox, and I have the switchbox connected directly to the set. I run the audio from each (optical for XBox, coax for DVD) connected directly to the receiver.
Old 01-30-03, 05:55 PM

6 Input, 2 Output S-Video/RCA Switch at Radio Shack. It's $99.99, but I know I've seen a 5 or 6 input switch at Wal-Mart for less.
Old 01-30-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kind of agree with Trigger, if you have a PS2 you're pretty much killing two birds with one stone.

You can also get piggy back cables from Radio Shack for about $8.00. These are like regular RCA cables but they have an input on the back of one of side of them to plug another component into them. That would be one solution.
Old 01-31-03, 11:05 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All mine goes through my receiver as well. If you have a whole bunch of systems you can use one of those switchers in conjuction with the receiver. For example, you could hook four systems up to the switcher and then plug the switcher into one of the A/V inputs on the receiver.
Old 01-31-03, 11:12 AM

I kind of like those one for all cables. Theyre like $10 and you use the same Svideo cable for psx or ps2, GC, and xbox. So you can have 3 systems on one of the inputs of the AV switch.
Old 01-31-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regarding the one for all cables, that's what i plan to get when i finally pick up an xbox. My onkyo reciever has only two available 2 video inputs which i use for my ps2 and cube. I'm then going to get a universal av cable, hook the cube and ps2 up to it on one input, and then get the advanced av pack and use the other s-video input for the xbox in conjunction with my optical input for sound. Sure, i could buy a switchbox but it just seems that for less money i can have a system that is less complicated.
Old 01-31-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by dfbennett
Sure, i could buy a switchbox but it just seems that for less money i can have a system that is less complicated.
...though the signal will be degraded more than you would by using a switchbox. How noticeable the degredation is and the cost/benefit is entirely up to the individual, though...
Old 01-31-03, 01:59 PM

I would recommend using one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20389

You can also buy them at bestbuy and Ebworld for $7-$20 depending on the brand and connectors

It is one set of a/v connectors for your TV with the different plugs for each system on the other end.

You could use this for the older systems and still use whatever high-end connectors (if you use them) for the PS2/xBox.

You don’t need to buy a selector box, a bunch of connector wires, push button to play, or any other negative associated with having 3 wires per system.
Old 01-31-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

b/c pushing an extra button to play is very negative

I play 3 different systems through my switch box, and I dont see any signal degeneration.

Last edited by bigsoos; 01-31-03 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-31-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ctyner
...though the signal will be degraded more than you would by using a switchbox. How noticeable the degredation is and the cost/benefit is entirely up to the individual, though...
What are you talking about in terms of signal degradation? By using the universal AV cable? I severely doubt that using that cable will lead to signal degradation. If you're implying that using my Onkyo reciever to switch S-video inputs will result in degradation, then you're just plain wrong. A good reciever will do a much better job of switching signals than a 20 dollar switcher any day.
Old 01-31-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by dfbennett
If you're implying that using my Onkyo reciever to switch S-video inputs will result in degradation, then you're just plain wrong.
No, I'm just illiterate and misinterpreted what you wrote.

For some reason -- and re-reading your post, I have no idea why -- I thought you meant a Y-cable, like one of these jobs, 1 male/2 female:

I've read that a lot of receivers do a lousy job of switching component video and that passive is preferred over active. Maybe that's not the case, at least to the same extent, as S-Video, and maybe not with your particular receiver...
Old 01-31-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ctyner,
got ya. I used to use a RCA switchbox(before i decided to run everything through the reciever) and the reciever switching appears to be a little crisper than the standalone box. I sure don't see a difference between the reciever switching and going straight to the tv.
Old 02-01-03, 03:18 PM

If he's not playing on a high-end tv/stereo system, I'd go with a simple system selector box. I used on for a long time and didn't notice any degradation in picture or sound quality. I was just hooking the systems up through composite A/V connectors though.
Old 02-01-03, 03:21 PM

So does this thing act as an automatic switch between systems that it's hooked up to? Or, is it just a universal connector that is compatible with the big 3 systems?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.