Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Devil May Cry 2 Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil May Cry 2 Reviews?

The game is released today and there still are no reviews up online. This has me worried that the game is going to suck really bad...and I think the first Devil May Cry is the best game on PS2 so I really want the sequel to be good too.
Old 01-28-03, 01:11 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The EGM review is listed in this thread.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=266426

They basically said it plays awesome, but its super easy and can easily be beaten in a night. They also say the quest for Dante and the chick are too similar to one another.
Old 01-28-03, 05:05 PM

That's too bad -- I liked that the original was a little difficult.
Old 01-28-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
IGN gave it a 7.0; but the review is Insider only. Anyone have that service and can give a little more detail?
Old 01-28-03, 09:27 PM

IGNPS2 posted the DMC2 review, but it has no actual review. just the scores and "asjdas" for each reviewing department
Old 01-28-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played the first few levels at a friend's house today and the game is definitely worse than the original. The enemies just stand around and the camera is still bad.
Old 01-28-03, 11:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I love the first game but this one is only worth a rental i am afraid. Camera angle is quite bad and its super duper easy. The enemies need to do more though. But its definately worth a rental.
Old 01-29-03, 01:26 AM

Sounds very disappointing. From IGN:

Presentation
Good all around presentation, as long as you're not talking about the story. 7.5

Graphics
Perhaps a tad less decorative or imaginative than the first, but the level arenas are bigger and outdoors. 9.0

Sound
Decent to bad voice acting and absolutely horrible dialog that confuses instead of illuminates. But good music and sound effects. 7.8

Gameplay
Like the first but not. The new moves are cool , but empty and shallow. The juggle system is essentially worthless and empty. 7.0

Lasting Appeal
Short and easy. At least you can play through as Lucia, but even her inclusion is kind of questionable if the first pass through is so disappointing. 6.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 7.0
Old 01-29-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

DMC2 was handled by a different team than the one who made the original, so I'm not exactly surprised that it didn't turn out as good as people had expected.
Old 01-29-03, 02:13 AM

THe original team that worked on the first DMC is working on Viewtiful Joe. That game looks like a 2D Devil May Cry game. The movies on IGN make it look really fun.
Old 01-29-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
DMC2 was handled by a different team than the one who made the original, so I'm not exactly surprised that it didn't turn out as good as people had expected.
Thats whats worrying me. As much as i love the first, i dont feel secure knowing that this one was being done under a new team. But then again i still havent played it for myself, so when i do, ill know.
Old 01-29-03, 09:22 AM
Suspended

I can't believe all the complaints about the difficulty of the first one. It was hard compared to most current games, but nothing compared to the NES heyday. I guess gamers don't like to be challenged anymore.
Old 01-29-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I got this game using the EBgames trade-in deal. Can I play the game and return it within a week to get another game or my $$ back? I usually buy online so I'm not familiar with EB's return policy
Old 01-29-03, 10:21 AM

Played the game last night when i got home, and so far, i agree that it is way easier than the original, but it is still a fun game. the graphics are beatiful as they were in the original and the camera angles are still decided upon where you stand (no free roaming of the camera).

I truly enjoyed myself playing it last night and got thru the first couple of missions fairly easy, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. I like a game that moves quickly. I also noticed that there are several "hidden" rooms. I don't recall if these were in the original. I know the first game allowed you go back into rooms for bonus missions, not sure if this game does the same. Anyhow, the hidden room i found had no visible door at all. i was just rolling around near some crates and then appeared in a room that read "Hidden Room: Stage 1", so I assume there are others throughout the game.

Overall, i'm happy with this game and look forward to playing more of it tonight. I just hope the missions get a bit tougher and the game last longer than what others have said.
Old 01-29-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been playing the game for about an hour, and so far I'm pleased. Beautiful graphics, and I love all of Dante's new moves. So far it has been fairly easy, but I imagine it will be worth trying the other difficulty levels once finished. My only complaint is that the camera still sucks - in some areas it's actually worse than before.
Old 01-29-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty good so far. It's easy but heck the moves are cool as umm..hell. Running on the walls is freaking nuts and the one move where you jump and he dives down shooting the gun. It's a button smasher but a very fun and entertaining one.
Old 01-29-03, 04:46 PM
Retired

Gamers.com gave it a 6. It was reviewed by a guy from OPM.
http://www.gamers.com/game/1150555/

Originally posted by trigun
I can't believe all the complaints about the difficulty of the first one. It was hard compared to most current games, but nothing compared to the NES heyday. I guess gamers don't like to be challenged anymore.
I like to be challenged, but DMC just frustrated the hell out of me because a lot of the difficulty was due to the terrible camera. But I'll freely admit I don't like super hard games. Games I'd rate as having "just right" difficulty would be Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, LOTR:TTT, Final Fantasy X, etc. "Too hard" would be DMC, Resident Evil games on normal, Contra Shattered Solider etc. Back in the NES/SNES days I had a ton of free time for games and could play/practice more. I don't have that kind of time any more and need games that take less effort and can be beaten just playing an hour or two a week if that.
Old 01-29-03, 05:45 PM
Banned

See, I thought the dificulty of DMC was just right. When you mention games like FFX, I am shocked. I got to the final boss (after many hours invested) but I am no where near strong enough to battle him. After getting my ass handed to me quite a few times, I have still yet to go back and build my characters. Atleast with DMC, I was able to beat it within a resonable amount of time.

I'm going to have to wait on this one, not only because of the bad reviews, but also because of the lack of money. The new moves excite me, but an easier game just doesn't seem to be a good move. I really like Jak and Daxter, but I think it was way too short. I'm liking Rachet and Clank so far because it is the same style and much longer. If they could have lengthened DMC2 (like making you play as both characters in different missions to get to the boss) then I would be a lot happier.

As for the camera, I deal. I never had a problem with it in the first game (auto-aim takes care of any problems) so I don't think I wouild have any problem with it in the sequel.

This may be a Greatest Hits buy for me (hopefully it will make it a Greatest Hits title).
Old 01-29-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i dont get why people say DMC is difficult. I was so mad that I wasted $49.99 on this game and beat it the first time I EVER played it without even dying once.... it was TOO easy. i cant imagine how easy this game is since it's supposed to be even easier than that.

i did however die on the first boss in metroid prime, so go figure maybe DMC is just in my blood.
Old 01-29-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
See, I thought the dificulty of DMC was just right. When you mention games like FFX, I am shocked. I got to the final boss (after many hours invested) but I am no where near strong enough to battle him. After getting my ass handed to me quite a few times, I have still yet to go back and build my characters. Atleast with DMC, I was able to beat it within a resonable amount of time.
The same thing happened to me in FFIX and X. I think it's just lousy design on Square's part. If I can reach a boss I should be able to beat it. In FFIX, which I did not like at all anyways, I just turned off the game and deleted my save. I leveled up enough in X to finish it, but had to burn a ton of sphere dealies.

I've been playing the original NES Ninja Gaiden lately so DMC2 seems exceptionally pitiful to me from a difficulty standpoint.
Old 01-29-03, 09:06 PM
Retired

I died the first time I got to the boss in FFX, looked at gamefaqs for some tips, and beat it the second. I had spent a fair amount of time leveling up a couple of times through the game so I was in pretty good shape. The main problem I have with last bosses in FF games is there's usually some odd strategy (like using
Spoiler:
zombie attacks on your own people
) that I'd would never have figured out/thought of on my own.

At any rate what it comes down to is that some people are better at certain types of games than others, hence the differing opinons over which games are too hard or too easy.
Old 01-29-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think FF is one of those games that some people are good at and some aren't. There's not really any skill involved. I think some of you people just got unlucky agianst the final boss in FFX. I didn't do any leveling up towards the end of the game (because by then I was sick and tired of the game) and I beat the boss on my first try. You probably could have won if you tried a few more times or used a different strategy.
Old 01-30-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what everyone here is smoking but the game is not thaaaat easy. I just got my ass handed to me like 5 times by the helicopter boss. Sucker was hard as hell. Gave up and am gonna try tomorrow. Game is pretty cool though. It has lost some of it's "mojo" though. Still fun and hard though.
Old 01-30-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks like I'll be waiting for the "greatest hits", or a super duper sale price
Old 01-30-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't gone by the store yet. Those of you who say this new one is easy, are you playing on the hardest difficulty level? I'm just curious. I want to get a sense of how hard the game could potentially be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.