Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

All Star Baseball 2004 online for Gamcube?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

EB has it up for preorder for $39.99 for the GameCube. It lists online play and roster updates for the Cube version. Could this be possible? If so I've got to round up a broadband modem for the GameCube.

I'm wondering if its an Xbox and PS2 only feature and EB has the wrong info.
Old 01-27-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Game Stop and Nintendo's own site don't list the online feature so it must be a mistake by EB.

I guess the reason its $10 cheaper is the lack of online. Oh well, guess I have to update my own rosters.
Old 01-27-03, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It now looks like no version of ASB will have online play.

Baseball is technically the toughest sport to execute online, and now the only hope is MS Inside Pitch.

Last edited by mr.snowmizer; 01-27-03 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-28-03, 12:25 PM

huh? how can baseball be more difficult than football? That would totally suck if theres no online play on ANY basebal games..my Mets will kick arse!!
Old 01-28-03, 04:50 PM

I knew somebody would ask.

Most would probably think baseball would be easiest, but here's FatPitcher, a WSB developer at Blue Shift, commenting at least a month ago at Operation Sports' baseball forum about MVP Baseball and then online issues...

The thing with "built from scratch" games is that the people making them don't have time to refine the high-level stuff like AI. That's because for most of the project, you can't even play the game (getting playfields up, getting renderer working, implementing animations, etc.). Until those things are working properly, it's really not possible to have any sort of AI. I'd be very impressed if either MVP or Inside Pitch could pull off the "complete package" in their first year.

Online baseball is different from other online sports because of the serious consequences of latency. The two normal methods of implementing online suport don't really work for bsaeball. Synchronization is used in games like NFL and NBA, where only 2 players are in the game at once. This method essentially just passes control inputs back and forth, forcing both games to remain identical on both screens all the time. This method was used in WSB2K2; the problem there was that the time it took to sync every control input caused a split-second delay that made it extremely difficult to time pitches and nearly impossible to field. The master/slave method is the one used by games like Quake, where synchronizing controls for up to 64 players would require an impossibly huge amount of data transfer. This method allows the games to be slightly different on different players' screens. Basically, the server assumes the last input is the current input until it hears otherwise from the client. Then when it hears something different from what it assumed, it "backs up" and puts things how they should be. If this system were used for baseball, you'd see some strange things. You might get a strikeout on your screen, when in actuality the other guy hit the ball (and your game hadn't gotten that data yet). You'd see guys tagged out on your screen, when in fact the guy had turned his baserunner around and gone back safely. As you can see, online baseball isn't easy. It'll be interesting to see how well ASB can do with it.