Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playing games on TXM3096WHF

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-03, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playing games on TXM3096WHF

I was wondering if anyone here had the Samsung 30" widescreen HDTV model TXM3096WHF...if so, could you give me a critique of how well it handles video games? I read a review that said that it doesn't do a very good job...and I'm very close to buying this TV and I wanted to know more.
Old 01-21-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did the review specify what exactly it was that it didn't do a very god job on? Was there ghosting? I'm not sure what kind of issues there would really be with the television that would be specific to video games.
Old 01-21-03, 06:34 PM

I believe it mentioned that the edges or picture became jagged and messed up looking.
Old 01-21-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Leatherballs
I believe it mentioned that the edges or picture became jagged and messed up looking.
Was this review from a reliable source?? Because, I can't think of any reason why a video game would have a messed up picture, but other sources (DVD, VCR, VCD) would not. A video signal is a video signal. There's nothing particularly special about a video game's video signal.
Old 01-21-03, 08:01 PM

It came from an amazon.com review:

"I was really high on Samsung because of their excellent prices, so I went out and purchased the TXM3097HF a slightly different model then this one, but with the exact specs. Upon intital setup the TV needed lots of adjustments pariculaly with the colors, my set had a very strong red push, one thing positive is this set has a high contrast ratio, it was very bright. After playing with the adjustments of the TV, I connected my XBOX and PS2 to it, and I exerienced very mixed results, theline doubling on this TV is horrible at best it produced a tremendous amount of visual artifacts on the screen, especially with PS2, and alot with the XBOX as well. The most glaring distortion is the edges of the screen about 6-inches on each side of the TV the tube appears VERY pixelated and you can see several lines of the TV's screen which really hampers image quality BIG TIME! Games and DVD's looked pixelated and almost interlaced on the edges of the TV, I went to Best Buy and Sears and to see the same TV to make sure I did not get a bad TV but the sets at these stores also had this same problem. Not a good picture from edge to edge, the tube is great in the middle but the pixels are very stretched on the edges. One thing if you are XBOX gamer or enjoy local HDTV Broadcasts this TV DOES NOT SUPPORT 720 Progessive Scan which is really a letdown when it receives a 720P signal the TV just goes blank, no signal! I ended up taking my set back which is a strong statement since I got the set delivered for a [good price]. Samsung really needs to improve on the line doubler on this TV and also add a DVI to the set, but as I said you get what you pay for with this TV. I could have kept this set if not for the stretched pixels on the corners, I recently purchased a Sony and the difference in quality is UNBELIEVABLE!"
Old 01-22-03, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well, i don't know if this guy knows what he's talking about or if he just didn't set it up properly. there could've been some hidden control settings that he didn't set up properly (the calibration control menus on projection tv's). BUT, a better place for you to ask about this is at the AVSforums (avsforum.com). the people there know a little TOO much about audio/video equipment.
Old 01-22-03, 10:30 AM

www.digitaltheater.com is a good place too, I went there for advice when I was looking for a sound system. hmm, might be www.digitaltheatre.com.
Old 01-22-03, 10:44 AM

I recently (about 4months ago) got the Samsung TXM2796HF 27" DynaFlat HDTV Monitor. It looks like it's pretty similar to what you're looking at only a little smaller and not widescreen. I have an XBOX hooked up to it with the Hi-Def pack. I think this TV is incredible. It's so bright and colorful, it blows me away.

I notice more jagged edges in the graphics, but that's because the TV picture is so good, now I can pick that stuff out. This would be especially true with PS2 games. The XBOX has pretty decent anti-aliasing so it's less of an issue. As games get better and improve their anti-aliasing this will go away. I don't even notice it on most games. They really really look great.

I can't say I've seen anything like what that guy was complaining about. I thought at first he was noticing problems that could be just graphics not keepingup with a good TV but as I read on, I wasn't so sure. Mine is a slightly different model so maybe that makes a difference.
Old 02-09-03, 09:26 PM
Banned

I purchased this Samsung TXM...96WHF 30" Widescreen Version.

All I have to say is for around 1000 this Set cannot be beat. I shopped for abotu 3 months looks at different sets. I wanted to spend around 1000 on a Good HDTV and well this one is GREAT!! I have a Philips DVD 724 Progressive Scan DVD player The pictures are crisp and clear!!! Looks Amazing!! And of course i hooked up my Xbox with HDTV PAck!!!! OMG it is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! MEch Assualt Unreal Championship and THPS4 look outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a high quality set for 1000. ONLY DRAW BACK! Is it does have slight red push but put the color setting on Cool1 and your problem is gone!!!

As far as pixelizing on playing games it depends on what you play. The XBOX games look great with very like pixels noticeble. Yet the old saying goes garbage in garbage out....... That brings me to the PS2 yes LOT more of games on PS2 you can notice pixels (luckily i dont own PS2 but my friend brought ti over to check it out) (but still looks better than regular analog TV) AS more and more games go to HDTV format you will be glad you picked up this set!!!