DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   LOTR - The Two Towers For GC (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/263541-lotr-two-towers-gc.html)

Struz 01-13-03 12:09 PM

LOTR - The Two Towers For GC

I just picked this up today at BB on a blind purchase.
Is it any good ?

Are there any reviews for it on GC ?
Anyone have it ?

Groucho 01-13-03 12:13 PM

The reviews for all three platforms are favorable, and there seems to be little difference between versions. The biggest complaint is that the game is too short.

KingSmoth 01-13-03 12:23 PM

I've played both the PS2 and GC versions. Short, but great game. I'm going to get it once I finish my current long list of games.

Struz 01-13-03 12:25 PM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
I've played both the PS2 and GC versions. Short, but great game. I'm going to get it once I finish my current long list of games.
Is there different difficulty levels ?
Can you pick which character you want to play as ?
How are the graphics ?

kvrdave 01-13-03 12:31 PM

Luigi's Mansion short?

TheMadMonk 01-13-03 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Struz
How are the graphics ?

Wow, you really haven't done any research on this, have you. Usually, even when I make a blind purchase, I have some idea as to what to expect.

I would think the picture on the cover of the game would answer your question as to which characters you can play as, (and it is spelled out in english on the back, if you can't figure it out from the cover). Also, the pretty pictures on the box should give you some idea of what the graphics look like.

Young Vito 01-13-03 01:45 PM

How are the graphics ?

there are 3 difficulty levels, hard-medium-easy i beleive

u can pick the guy with the sword, the kid with the bow an arrow, and the short guy with the axe on all levels ure about to play

graphics are really nice, especially the cool water effects

one major complaint is that there is no 2 player support, in a game like this.....its pretty weird u cant get to beat the game with a friend, overall good game though

Struz 01-13-03 01:46 PM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Wow, you really haven't done any research on this, have you. Usually, even when I make a blind purchase, I have some idea as to what to expect.

I would think the picture on the cover of the game would answer your question as to which characters you can play as, (and it is spelled out in english on the back, if you can't figure it out from the cover). Also, the pretty pictures on the box should give you some idea of what the graphics look like.

Gee thanks for your <s>threadcrap</s> help.

I bought the game during lunch and it's in my car now (I'm a work)
I did see on the back that you could play as the 3 characters but it doesn't say if you can choose who you want to be or not.

Why do you bother responding ?

Lord Crumb 01-13-03 01:47 PM

This is coming solely from memory, Struz, so some of this may be inaccurate. Anyway, here we go:

You can choose to play as either Aragorn, Legolas, or Gimli at the beginning of each level. There is also a hidden character who can be unlocked.

The graphics are, in my opinion, excellent. The character models and environments are gorgeous.

I'm fairly sure there are different difficulty options.

Hope that helps out, Struz.

Struz 01-13-03 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Lord Crumb
This is coming solely from memory, Struz, so some of this may be inaccurate. Anyway, here we go:

You can choose to play as either Aragorn, Legolas, or Gimli. There is also a hidden character.

The graphics are, in my opinion, excellent. The character models and environments are gorgeous.

I'm fairly sure there are different difficulty options.

Hope that helps out, Struz.

Thanks a lot Lord Crumb !
:)

Lord Crumb 01-13-03 01:50 PM

You're quite welcome, Struz. Hope you dig the game.

Struz 01-13-03 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Young Vito
there are 3 difficulty levels, hard-medium-easy i beleive

u can pick the guy with the sword, the kid with the bow an arrow, and the short guy with the axe on all levels ure about to play

graphics are really nice, especially the cool water effects

one major complaint is that there is no 2 player support, in a game like this.....its pretty weird u cant get to beat the game with a friend, overall good game though

Thanks.
:)

TheMadMonk 01-13-03 02:15 PM

Gee thanks for your <s>threadcrap</s> help.

I bought the game during lunch and it's in my car now (I'm a work)
I did see on the back that you could play as the 3 characters but it doesn't say if you can choose who you want to be or not.

Why do you bother responding ?

I just figured I'd try to waste as much of your time, as I feel was wasted of mine.

Your post title is a statement, so I was expecting to read some insights and opinions on this game. Why do you buy games you know nothing about, then expect other people to tell you all about them? And you couldn't search for reviews yourself?
Have a nice day.

Edit:
But please forgive me; I quit smoking for the new year, and am a bit overly-critical right now. Please don't take any offense. (But I do feel that my posts have some merit, just try not to hate me, because right now, my head is just a bit messed up)

Xander 01-13-03 02:24 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
Luigi's Mansion short?
Well, a couple of reviews I read said it could be beaten with any ONE of the characters in about 6 hours. :eek:

Also, about the identity of the secret unlockable character:

Spoiler:

Many people thought it would be Gandalf, but it's crappy Isildur instead, who basically has all the same moves as Aragorn.

Because of those reasons, I decided to rent instead of buy this one. :)

X

Groucho 01-13-03 02:27 PM

:lol: This thread has turned into last night's "Boomtown."

kvrdave 01-13-03 02:27 PM

Luigi's Mansion short? :lol:

the aftermath 01-13-03 04:04 PM

I actually agree with Mad Monk. I'm surprised you knew nothing about your blind purchase. Well, have fun!

Josh H 01-13-03 07:45 PM

If you're not a fan of the movie, you'll probably still like the game. If you loved the movies, you'll really dig the game.

The gameplay is very good. The combat is fairly deep, lots of combos to earn through experience points. It's far from a shallow "beat em up" like Final Fight.

It gets fairly tough pretty quick too on Normal difficulty. You really have to plan your attacks, button mashing will get you killed quick.

You also unlock little documentaries and interviews with the actors and what not, which is a very cool feature for fans of the movie.

The graphics and sound are top notch as well. I own the PS2 version, but from reviews the GC and X-box versions are identical.

At any rate, I'm glad I picked it up. I'd probably give it a 9.0.