Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

If you play XBL Mechassault, look here

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you play XBL Mechassault, look here

I have a problem.

Big time.

I was online playing MA last night, and let it be known, I like to talk trash. But my problem is this, I actually got pissed at some guy last night.

Ok Here is the situation.

Playing NOT IT. There were 2 f-ed up mechs in front of me, I just re-spawned. I took them out, for their weapons.

HOLY S$#!. You would have thought I had a damn gameshark attached to the system.

"How about fathead becomes honorary IT for the rest of the game" One of the dead said.

I don't care about that crap, I am playing for fun.

Then the other chimed in with "If you don't play right, I'm calling Microsoft to leave you negative feedback, and you can lose your account."

Now while I don't not see that happening, I had to challange him.

How am I not playing the game right? If my mech is stronger, and I can weaken the other mechs, does that not improve my chances of being "IT" longer, hence racking up more points?

They were all sooner or later yelling at me for "not playing right".

Now once again, I was arguning back, not that it ruined my day, but maybe someone with a brain here can make me see how I am not "playing the game right". I have played MA with a few on this board, and we have a blast. I do not think I am a cheap a$$ with the game at all. But I have a problem if a bunch of people are telling me that I am going something wrong. Am I?
Old 01-13-03, 12:25 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The problem with the "Not It" mode is everyone perceives killing someone who is not it, as a friendly kill (team killer). There's enough reasons (stradegy) to kill other mechs besides the one who is It. (i.e.: your currently in 2nd and you want to prevent a mech with the current high score from becoming IT again, etc..)

It would be a different story if you were just being a llama by consistently killing the mechs that were not it and not going after the mechs that are IT.
Old 01-13-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Not sure why you'd kill them for their weapons anyways. If you become not it, you automatically start with the highest level weapons. It would piss me off (and it does) if some guy just whoops on me for no apparent reason. The clearly stated objective of the game is to kill the guy who is IT. Otherwise, why not give you points for the other kills. Plus, even if you don't get credit, it shows up as a death on the other person's record -- not cool.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-13-03, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Not sure why you'd kill them for their weapons anyways. If you become not it, you automatically start with the highest level weapons. It would piss me off (and it does) if some guy just whoops on me for no apparent reason. The clearly stated objective of the game is to kill the guy who is IT. Otherwise, why not give you points for the other kills. Plus, even if you don't get credit, it shows up as a death on the other person's record -- not cool.

Tuan Jim
Ok cool, you are on the same wave they were. And I am not insulting you by that.

I have 2 points -

#1 I had no idea you get maxed out weapons when you become "it". But if you whale on others that are not "it", and they BECOME "it", its easier for you to be "it" by killing a weaker opponent.

#2 If you weren't supposed to kill others that were not "it", why does it track it. Their are 3 scores.....Score....Kills...Deaths.

It tracks "non-it" kills. I feel that some are taking their "rankings" a little too seriously. I don't think that I am not playing the game right, but perhaps some have a translation of the rules that do not agree. If you were NOT supposed to kill anyone, you would not be able to. Simple.

If I am playing team destruction, and someone on my team starts blasting me, are they "not playing the game right"? In my opinion, if they want to turn on you then fine. Its a game people. Your team will not win, but the sun will rise tomorrow. And you can start a "NEW GAME"! If the game "allows" you to do it, then I can not see you doing anything wrong using the game how it normally functions.
Old 01-13-03, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by dgc
The problem with the "Not It" mode is everyone perceives killing someone who is not it, as a friendly kill (team killer). There's enough reasons (stradegy) to kill other mechs besides the one who is It. (i.e.: your currently in 2nd and you want to prevent a mech with the current high score from becoming IT again, etc..)

It would be a different story if you were just being a llama by consistently killing the mechs that were not it and not going after the mechs that are IT.
And that is exactly what I WAS doing. I was NOT just killing anyone with a back to me, but I would kill the limping mech so I could #1 get the upgrades, and #2 "IT" would not get the points. And at the end of the game I was 4th out of 8, 5 points behind the leader, so I was not just sniping from behind anyone thats not "it".
Old 01-13-03, 02:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

You were playing the mode wrong, and that's why they were pissed at you. Play it right and you'll see that go away. If you wanted to do it a sneaky way move away from the action a bit and shoot into the fray and you'll take someone else out collatorally, but otherwise you were simply asking for it. Sorry.
Old 01-13-03, 02:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by FatHead316
And that is exactly what I WAS doing. I was NOT just killing anyone with a back to me, but I would kill the limping mech so I could #1 get the upgrades, and #2 "IT" would not get the points. And at the end of the game I was 4th out of 8, 5 points behind the leader, so I was not just sniping from behind anyone thats not "it".
OK I can sort of see this perspective, but if you do do it this way, then make sure they agree with you first about the way you were doing it. It's an interesting way of doing it I must admit, but just clear it with the room first.
Old 01-13-03, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
OK I can sort of see this perspective, but if you do do it this way, then make sure they agree with you first about the way you were doing it. It's an interesting way of doing it I must admit, but just clear it with the room first.
I don't know, I guess I am just too casual of a gamer for some out there. And to make the point, I was NOT just blasting anyone, and I didn't even blast those that got me, then appologised. But why not go after #1 so they can not gain a bigger lead? Why not kill that limping mech for the power ups? And why clear it with the room?

I am in the NFL2K3 league here, does that mean when I am on my own 40 and its 4th and 15, I have to notify my opponent that I will be going for it? Or even faking? Because god knows that would not be the normal strategy.

I am not being disrespectful to you guys, I am just trying to understand these points I am being presented with. These are games. And the object is to win said game.
Old 01-13-03, 02:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

What's clear to you may not be clear to your fellow gamers. I didn't think about that method until you mentioned it. It's not about being casual or hardcore, it's about etiquette. Not it is very team oriented. You work as a team to get "it", if you tell the guys ... "hey lets blast weak mechs and take kills away from 'it'", then cool, if you don't see peep, you may find yourself with getting negative feedback.

Football is a different game, it's you versus the other guy. In MA it's a group of guys working together to get "it".
Old 01-13-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's just too many morons on XBL. I'll probably end up using it more to download extra levels and update rosters than to play other people......
Old 01-13-03, 03:33 PM

What's clear to you may not be clear to your fellow gamers. I didn't think about that method until you mentioned it. It's not about being casual or hardcore, it's about etiquette. Not it is very team oriented. You work as a team to get "it", if you tell the guys ... "hey lets blast weak mechs and take kills away from 'it'", then cool, if you don't see peep, you may find yourself with getting negative feedback.

Football is a different game, it's you versus the other guy. In MA it's a group of guys working together to get "it".
Ok cool, at least you kinda see my point, and I kinda see yours, thanks for that.

Now theres that word again, feedback. Where is this feedback place?
Old 01-13-03, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by JaxComet
There's just too many morons on XBL. I'll probably end up using it more to download extra levels and update rosters than to play other people......
You talking about me?

I don't know if you are or not, but bottom line, XBL is the most fun I have ever had playing games, and I am not a PC gamer. You will be missing out brother. If the people piss you off, unplug the headset. This is the only time I have had a problem, and I get into heated "fights" with people all the time. Name calling, stuff like that, and you know what I do when the game is over. I friend list them, talking trash is most the fun.

The problem I had here was people were actually telling me I was being a nucence with HOW I was playing, first time that has ever happened to me. And they were being jerks about explaining it. I really DON'T want to be ruining peoples games. Thats why I brought it here for discussion.
Old 01-13-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok cool, you are on the same wave they were. And I am not insulting you by that.

#1 I had no idea you get maxed out weapons when you become "it". But if you whale on others that are not "it", and they BECOME "it", its easier for you to be "it" by killing a weaker opponent.
Actually, no -- becoming it gives you full health just like it maxes your weapons. -- at least that seems to be the case in nearly every game I've played -- been a coupla weeks now. Need to play again soon.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-13-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And you'll see that your scores are MUCH higher if you just go after the person who's IT, whoop them, then take out as many people as you can before dying. Works for me that way. Fun to host a stack of games in a row and get the same folks in with you each time.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-13-03, 07:20 PM

....... you may find yourself with getting negative feedback.

Where is this feedback left?
Old 01-13-03, 07:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

You know I didn't know jack about feedback playing MA. Then when I played NFL 2K3 I immediately noticed a feedback spot where you can leave different negative or positive feedbacks about a person that go straight to MS and only MS. I'm honestly not sure where they can be done on MA.
Old 01-13-03, 08:55 PM

Re: If you play XBL Mechassault, look here

I have a problem.

Big time.

I was online playing MA last night, and let it be known, I like to talk trash. But my problem is this, I actually got pissed at some guy last night.

Ok Here is the situation.

Playing NOT IT. There were 2 f-ed up mechs in front of me, I just re-spawned. I took them out, for their weapons.

HOLY S$#!. You would have thought I had a damn gameshark attached to the system.

"How about fathead becomes honorary IT for the rest of the game" One of the dead said.

Well, you were in the wrong on this one.

It is common courtesy to NOT kill anyone but the person who is it (unless you are it, of course). You don't just go around killing other people for their weapons or health. If someone asks for a mercy kill, because they are nowhere near the action and barely limping along, that's different.....they asked for it.

I feel the same way about people that kill the mech that the IT person is working on just so the IT person doesn't get the point (and hoping the IT guy blows up in the wreckage).

If you target a mech that's not it, you SHOULD be singled out and hammered on.

If you want to walk around shooting anyone you feel like, play Destruction.

DW

Last edited by DreamWeaver88; 01-13-03 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 08:57 PM

Where is this feedback left?
Go to the friends list, then push right on the D-Pad. It will bring up a list of the people you played recently. Just click on someones Tag and it gives you the option to leave feedback.

DW
Old 01-13-03, 10:17 PM

Re: Re: If you play XBL Mechassault, look here

Originally posted by DreamWeaver88
Well, you were in the wrong on this one.

It is common courtesy to NOT kill anyone but the person who is it (unless you are it, of course).
Is that your interpretation? You say it yourself, it is "common courtesy". Now are we talking "common courtesy" or me"not playing the game right"? We are talking game here.
Old 01-13-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If it were me I would have left you a negitive feedback in hopes that you would be banned from playing on XBL. You know the rules of the game, but you choose to break them because "it is only a game". Well, like you said, it is only a game, so why worry about being banned because you do not follow the rules that are set in place?

Don't get mad at me, it is only how I feel about it.
Old 01-13-03, 11:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: If you play XBL Mechassault, look here

Is that your interpretation? You say it yourself, it is "common courtesy". Now are we talking "common courtesy" or me"not playing the game right"? We are talking game here.
I should have worded that differently. You are playing the game wrong. If you aren't it, shoot ONLY the person that is it.

DW
Old 01-14-03, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by tjr2mental
If it were me I would have left you a negitive feedback in hopes that you would be banned from playing on XBL. You know the rules of the game, but you choose to break them because "it is only a game". Well, like you said, it is only a game, so why worry about being banned because you do not follow the rules that are set in place?

Don't get mad at me, it is only how I feel about it.
#1 Not mad, just debating, and trying to understand. I, for the most part, value the opinion of members of this board.

#2 I so seriously doubt that anyone will get banned from XBL for shooting someone that is not "it" in a game. I would think that someone that makes cruel, raceist, or sexist STATEMENTS over the communicator will find themselves in trouble. Microsoft is in this to make money, and I doubt I can just call and say "tjr2mental is not playing fair" and bam, you are BANNED FOR LIFFFFFEEE! And just to make the case better, I will have 7-8 of my friends call too. I believe they would have a problem if they cut people loose, based on what you or I tell them.

#3 Where are these rules at? Are these actual rules at all? Do the rules state, that you CAN NOT shoot anyone that is NOT "IT". If so I would like to see the link. I am not being a wise ass by saying this, but I really would like to see where it says that.

#4 once again, I am not trying to be confrontational with ANYONE on this board, so far, my opinion had differed from most, and some of you HAVE seen my point, but not agreed, and thats cool.

#5 This came to me last night. Situation.

I am little Billy, and I just got MechAssault on the launch day. I am playing it LIVE! I am one of the first TO play it live. I play NOT IT. While I am playing NOT IT, I get shot, and I am indeed NOT IT. I tell the other guy, that he is cheating, and he can't shoot me if I am not IT. Then Little Bobby chimes in with a "YEAH" Cheater! Next game, little Billy and Little Bobby play separate games of NOT IT. In those respective games, they get shot again. They make their CHEATER comments. Little Charlie, Sally, Mikey, and Frankie all agree in their respective rooms. Then After those 2 matches are over, Billy, Bobby, Charlie, Sally, Mikey, and Frankie all host their own games. All with this YOU ARE NOT PLAYING RIGHT mentality. All of a sudden, we have Urban Legond Rules for Mechassault. Rules that are not real, but rules that somehow are supposed to be "understood".

I wish I played that first game, maybe it would be considdered "Not Playing Right" to soot in the back.

Think about it.
Old 01-14-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with most here, you were wrong in your assumption that it was OK to kill a mech who was not it. I verified last night that you do in fact get full health and level 3 weapons when becoming IT. Therefore, the better strategy would be to help the others by killing IT instead of killing your teammates. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-14-03, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by edstein
I agree with most here, you were wrong in your assumption that it was OK to kill a mech who was not it. I verified last night that you do in fact get full health and level 3 weapons when becoming IT. Therefore, the better strategy would be to help the others by killing IT instead of killing your teammates. Just my 2 cents.

Hehe, I havn't been on since I started this post, I do not want to "not play right". But I think I have my answer.

Thank you for using Xbox Chat Center. Below is a copy of your chat session transcript for reference.

Topic: None

Kar Welcome to the Xbox North America Interactive Online Presales Support. My name is Kar. How can I help you?

Doug Hi Kar

Doug I have a question

Doug Where do you leave feedback for xbox live?

Kar About the service? Or about players?

Doug Players

Doug And can I check MY feedback?

Kar There's two ways to do it. While playing, press the Start button, and select the Xbox Live Players option. You can then select the name of the player there and leave a feedback. Or, after a game, select the Friends option in the main menu, press the right direction, and you'll see a list of players that you've played with for that session, You can then select their name and leave a feedback there.

Kar You can't view your own feedback.

Doug Ok, here is the situation

Doug you familier with Machassault?

Kar Yes,

Doug I am playing "NOT IT"

Doug there are 2 messed up mech in fromt of me

Doug they are NOT IT

Doug I blast them

Doug and take their upgrades

Doug they inform me I am not playing by the rules

Kar That's correct, you're not.

Doug and I am not playing "right"

Doug they they tell me that they will leave me negative fedback

Kar Okay.

Doug and get me kicked off XBL

Doug how is that possable?

Kar How is what possible?

Doug Leave me negative feedback, and get me kicked off XBL
Kar Please read your Terms of Use agreement.

Kar http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/livetermsofuse.htm

Kar And the Code of Conduct.

Kar It's all explained there.

Doug Where are the rules for that game?

Kar Please read your manual.

Doug Thank you

So I figured this was going nowhere, and he is kind of a hardass, so I fish for another answer.

Doug Good Morning William

William Hello and welcome to the Xbox interactive online chat support!

Doug William, If I am playing NOT IT on Mechassault, and I kill someone who is NOT it, can I get perminatly banned from XBL?

William Permanently banning someone would normally be a last resort. You could be suspended. But if you recognize now that you have been doing something to break the rules, simply correct it and you should be okay.

Doug Is that infact breaking the rules? The object of a game is to win, if I am #2 and someone is #1 and I kill them so they can not socre again, it that really breaking the rules?

Doug Not arguing, just trying to understand

Doug I am very new to this online gaming arena

William As Kar explained to you, you need to review the game manual for the rules or you can ask on the online forum for that game for advice. We do not provide support for the individual games since we don't have that information provided to us.

Hehehe, apparently Kar and William are cubemates. Well I guess I have defeated myself here, I am apparently very wrong in this situation. Thanks to all who participated in this discussion. And if you see me hosting a game of not it, mention this threas, and recieve a free bowl of soup.
Old 01-14-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
...Well I guess I have defeated myself here, I am apparently very wrong in this situation. Thanks to all who participated in this discussion. And if you see me hosting a game of not it, mention this thread, and receive a free bowl of soup.
Excellent conclusion, and very politely posted. Applause for you!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.