DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   What video games have been made into movies? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/263459-what-video-games-have-been-made-into-movies.html)

RoQuEr 01-13-03 12:59 AM

What video games have been made into movies?

And more importantly, have any of them been any good?

I can think of:
Final Fantasy: The spirits within
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil.

However I haven't done both the game and the movie for any of these.

young 01-13-03 01:01 AM

mortal kombat
mario brothers
street fighter

--
imo, they all sucked. well, mortal kombat had a few good fight scenes.

RoQuEr 01-13-03 01:13 AM

don't forget wing commander. Another Classic :rolleyes:

Deftones 01-13-03 01:45 AM

soon to be House of the Dead

Deftones 01-13-03 01:46 AM

and crazy taxi

Nesbit 01-13-03 02:27 AM

double dragon

Lord Crumb 01-13-03 02:57 AM

Personally, I've been hearing rumors recently about a "Grand Theft Auto" flick. I don't think they're factual, but I thought they might be worth a mention here.

Oh, and just for the record, so far we've compiled:

Final Fantasy: The spirits within

Tomb Raider

Resident Evil

mortal kombat

mario brothers

street fighter

wing commander

House of the Dead

crazy taxi

and double dragon.

WOWZY 01-13-03 04:21 AM

Yeah, they all pretty much sucked.

I'm wondering what they could do by making a movie about Halo? I mean I don't know about you guys but I was about to piss in my pants while waiting for the 9pm release/showing of the Halo2 preview back a couple of months ago.

If Bungie could do this good of a job with the preview, just think what they could do with a full length movie. I think if they are gonna make a Halo movie, Bungie should be in full charge of it.

V-ism 01-13-03 04:24 AM

Don't forget the Pokemon movies.

Should Final Fantasy really count? It's not really based on any of the FF games, or share any characters, places, or things, heck it's not even the same genre. I guess the name is all that matters.

Might be worth mentioning The Wizard, not really from a game though. That's pretty much the extent of Hollywood movies based on video games.

There's also a Japanese movie for Parasite Eve, but I'm not sure which came first the book, movie, or game.

Speaking of Japan, there's alot of anime series based on video games (Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, Darkstalkers, Tekken) and some anime movies. So if we consider those , then the list can be quite longer.

Jackskeleton 01-13-03 05:26 AM

Tekken SUCKED! that is all.

Resident Evil had a 4-D movie in japan that looked cool. Man I wish Capcom would bring some of that stuff over like the resident evil Mansion fun house. that would rule.

edstein 01-13-03 07:55 AM

Am I the only one who would love to see a Diablo movie. Those cgi guys at blizzard are top notch.

Jason 01-13-03 07:58 AM

I'm still waiting for Pong: the Movie.

Groucho 01-13-03 08:03 AM

Originally posted by WOWZY
If Bungie could do this good of a job with the preview, just think what they could do with a full length movie. I think if they are gonna make a Halo movie, Bungie should be in full charge of it.
That's exactly what people said about Square and Final Fantasy.

RoQuEr 01-13-03 10:35 AM

So does FF count then? I assumed it followed the stories of the recent FF, but then again, the last FF that I played was FF2 for the gameboy.

finbogg 01-13-03 01:08 PM

Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever is from a Gameboy game if I'm not mistaken.

Tuan Jim 01-13-03 01:28 PM

Originally posted by V-ism

There's also a Japanese movie for Parasite Eve, but I'm not sure which came first the book, movie, or game.

Book --> movie --> game.

Young Vito 01-13-03 01:48 PM

Max Payne is being made into a movie as well

j123vt_99 01-13-03 03:14 PM

Crazy Taxi... Really?

What about Wargames or that movie with Fred Savage where they go to that Nintendo convention

Stoolie 01-13-03 03:45 PM

There was nothing distinctly Final Fantasy about the Final Fantasy movie. In my opinion.

Decker 01-13-03 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Stoolie
There was nothing distinctly Final Fantasy about the Final Fantasy movie. In my opinion.
Dr Sid. The Earth is alive with some sort of substance that provides energy for everything. Blah blah blah.
Just like every FF game. :)

RoQuEr 01-13-03 04:42 PM

Originally posted by jbrotheim
Crazy Taxi... Really?

What about Wargames or that movie with Fred Savage where they go to that Nintendo convention

I would say that if mario 3 or tic/tac/toe is featured in a movie, but isn't the plot, then it doesn't count.

RocShemp 01-14-03 01:00 PM

As far as I understand, the movie Parasite Eve is an adaptation of the book whereas the game is actually a sequel of sorts.

And don't forget to add to the list the Soul Calibur movie directed by Sammo Hung that was supposed to be released sometime last year (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0282997 is it in production hell or something?).

Also, I don't know how it stands now but for a while there was some talk about either a movie or a series based on the Dead or Alive game franchise. But that may have been some over-eager fan getting confused when he heard of the film series by Takashi Miike.

Joshua 01-14-03 01:21 PM

Dungeons and Dragons had several video games before it became a movie.

RocShemp 01-14-03 02:18 PM

Yeah but D&D was book RPG before it was a video game so it doesn't count. The same goes for the Parasite Eve movie as it's really based on the book and the game was a sequel to the book.

j123vt_99 01-14-03 02:41 PM

What about TV shows? Pacman was a good one