Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Should I buy a Game cube?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-03, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy a Game cube?

While I am dissapointed about the news of GBA-SP (only because I just recently bought a gba and a bunch of games, otherwise I love the GBA), I was wondering If I should buy a game cube.
I can get 110 credit at EB for my GBA and my games. That would make the GC only $40. i also have unopened zelda and metroid for GBA that I bought in Best Buy. I can return those for a $50 game or two $20-$30 games. Is the game cube worth it? SHould i just trade in the GBA for $40 and get the new GBA-SP for $60?
Or should I just say screw all of that and get an x-box or PS2.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-03, 08:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Do you likes Games? Do you like Cubes? If the answer to both of those questions is "Yes" then the GAMECUBE is for you.

Seriously, it's hard to answer that question without knowing what kinds of games you like. That more than anything should drive your decision in choosing a console.
Old 01-08-03, 09:01 AM

I am not an extreme gamer. thats why I got the GBA. I am a fan of old school games. My last system was a SNES. I don't have lots of time to devote to gaming, but I like to play on occasion.
I thought GC was the way to go because its the cheapest, plus I have always been steered towards nintendo.
I worry that it will be obsolete in less than a year like my GBA.
Old 01-08-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought a GC for 2 main reasons:

1) I already had a PS2 and XBOX and figured it would be great to have them all

2) I didn't want to get screwed on GC exclusive games

As many others would say it all depends on the kinds of games you like and what you are into. I like a wide variety of games so now covered.

The GC is a very good system. It's not my favorite of the 3 but the Wavebird sure does help it become a strong second. I prefer my XBOX over everything else just due to the fact that I can use it as a jukebox in my entertainment system.

I still think exclusive games will be the key to this system making it in the console race. I just hope they don't lose all their strong gaming companies to other console makers...but if they do I have all my bases covered.
Old 01-08-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by josuff247
Josuff,
I don't know about the Gamecube, but your GBA is not and will not be obsolete for quite some time. They will continue to make both the GBA and the GBAsp at the same time. They are not discontinuing the GBA, but a focusing the GBA at a younger market, and the GBAsp at an older one.

All games are backward compatable, because it's still a GBA in a different case. So in that regard it's not gonna be obsolete. I don't foresee them making any GBAsp only games.
Old 01-08-03, 09:22 AM

Go lucky, I guess I stated that wrong.
I am just a freak when it comes to new technology.
It would kill me to have the old GBA when I know there is a new better one out. So I figured its cheaper for me to buy a GC
than it is to buy a GBA-SP. Also I can rent GC games. My blockbuster does not carry GBA games for rent, no do any around where I live.
Old 01-08-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also I can rent GC games. My blockbuster does not carry GBA games for rent, no do any around where I live.
FYI - I have been to several Blockbusters in my area during "Previously Viewed" sales looking for GBA games. All the stores I went to have completely eliminated their handheld game stocks (including accessories).

When it comes to handhelds and consoles, they are like apples and oranges - both fruits but different types. You can't (yet) take your console games with you on a plane like you can a GBA. So if you like to play while travelling, etc., keep your GBA... AND get a GameCube and link them together!!!!
Old 01-08-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
I got a Gamecube for Christmas, and I love it. It's definitely a great second system, as has been said before... the top quality games may be fewer than other systems, but they are great and usually exclusive.

Still, I'd hold off buying a Gamecube now for a couple of reasons:
1) The rumored price break may come in the next couple of months. I know it's been rumored for a long time, but the recent 25 dollar rebate leads me to believe that some kind of promotion is coming.
2) If you haven't got a gamecube yet and aren't floored by any of the games already out, I'd wait until the next killer ap by Nintendo (or RE 4 if you're an RE fan). Skies of Arcadia is getting good reviews, but other than that there's nothing I'm really all that excited about coming up in the next couple of months.
Old 01-08-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes, go buy a gamecube right now. it is a great system with the most quality exclusive titles out there.
Old 01-08-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sell the GBA, but the GC and when the GBA/GC adapter comes out (I believe May, for about $40) buy it and play GBA games on your GC as well...
Old 01-08-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I got the GC recently and love it. I am a casual gamer because my life doesn't allow much time, but it could make you get more serious. I have about 17 games, 14 of which were bought used, which made them pretty cheap.

I also have a gba with afterburner, and while I enjoy it, I prefer the big screen. I will definately get the device which plays GBA games on the cube.

And the factor that made me go game cube was the wavebird controller. I have mine set up where cords would not go well, and that (plus the rebate before Christmas) put me over the line. I have not regretted it.

If you are casual, you probably don't mind waiting for games to get cheaper rather than buying them the day they came out. The GC is a great option for that.

At the price, and with the games I have, if they never made another game and got out of hardware today (which I don't see as likely), I would still have more than my money's worth.
Old 01-08-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, if you can get that much credit, get the system + a few games. GC doesn't impress me but even I can't turn a blind eye on games like Metroid Prime and Resident Evil's!
Old 01-10-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard that many 3rd party companies are cancelling their GC projects. Seems like the GC is following the demise of the N64.

I'll eventually buy a GC when the price is low enough, the N64 went as low as $50. There are a few titles I want, mainly the Resident Evil series.
Old 01-10-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gideon68
I've heard that many 3rd party companies are cancelling their GC projects. Seems like the GC is following the demise of the N64.

I'll eventually buy a GC when the price is low enough, the N64 went as low as $50. There are a few titles I want, mainly the Resident Evil series.
show some links to actual stories, it makes it look like you know what you are talking about that way.

there is absolutely ZERO truth to this post.
Old 01-10-03, 07:57 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rumor about third parties dropping GC support is from "Quarterman" rumor column in the latest EGM.

Probably still just a rumor, but that's where it came from. Gideon wasn't just making it up.
Old 01-11-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not an extreme gamer. thats why I got the GBA. I am a fan of old school games. My last system was a SNES. I don't have lots of time to devote to gaming, but I like to play on occasion.
I thought GC was the way to go because its the cheapest, plus I have always been steered towards nintendo.
GBA isn't obsolete. The GBA-SP is the same hardware as the GBA. It just has a light and a rechargable battery. It's like old Game Boy Pocket; just the same hardware redesigned.

It runs the same games, and there won't be any games for the SP that aren't compatible with GBA. I don't think GBA-SP is a significant enough upgrade to GBA to merit an upgrade. It's cute, but it's not $100 worth of cute.
Old 01-11-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Josh Hinkle.
Old 01-11-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
The rumor about third parties dropping GC support is from "Quarterman" rumor column in the latest EGM.

Probably still just a rumor, but that's where it came from. Gideon wasn't just making it up.
when you pass rumor off as fact, it sets a dangerous precedent. the guy wants to know if he should buy a gamecube. an unsubstantiated rumor being touted as truth is misleading. thats like reading something in the editoral section of a newspaper and telling people its fact.
Old 01-11-03, 11:34 AM

Yes. Metroid, Mario, Zelda and WaveBird alone justify a purchase. Go to ebgames.com and use the code in thier on-line deals section (upper right) to get 20-25% a used system (the discount changes, usually 20, sometimes 25). Comes to like 105 w/ no tax. -z
Old 01-11-03, 11:54 AM

Hey all,
Thanks for all the advice.
I just picked one up on Thursday and I love it.
I had some best buy credit and they had a deal where it
came with a free memorycard, And I still kept my GBA.
I figured I can trade it in for the adapter when it comes out.
Zinc, wish I knew about that used deal before, But I am
happy with the new one. I hope the system doesn't do poorly
and demise like Gideon said, however at the time I am very happy with my purchase. I bought Allstar Baseball 2003. Its
a season behind but it was only $20 new and I love it anyway.
I rented BMX XXX and that is awesome as well. No regrets here!
Old 01-11-03, 11:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by huh?
when you pass rumor off as fact, it sets a dangerous precedent. the guy wants to know if he should buy a gamecube. an unsubstantiated rumor being touted as truth is misleading. thats like reading something in the editoral section of a newspaper and telling people its fact.
That would be stating opinion as if it was fact... kind of like saying:
yes, go buy a gamecube right now. it is a great system with the most quality exclusive titles out there.

He said he heard that companies were dropping GC products... that it was hearsay. If you want clarification on something, ask without jumping all over other people.
Old 01-11-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone is here to help each other try to make an informed decision. My point was, if there is a "rumor/hearsay" about 3rd party companies dropping their GC projects, he way want to take a "wait and see" approach and possibly get it cheaper later.

I am waiting myself, but will eventually buy the system when it drops down.

Josuff, I'm glad you like your system. I also hope the GC doesn't end up like the N64.

Thanks Josh Hinkle and Static Cling.
Old 01-11-03, 04:15 PM

I don't know why people get angry when they see their console failing. A lot of 3rd parties may be canceling their GC games, but who cares? a lot of those games suck anyways. Most of the really good games are tied up in exclusive contracts.

My point is this: if you enjoy gaming system because it's what everyone else plays then you're playing it for the wrong reason. There are a lot of games that are excellent for every system but don't sell well - but does that make them any less fun to play? I have a GC and while i'm slightly disappointed about the lack of AAA software i still enjoy playing a lot of the exclusive and non-exclusive games for it.
Old 01-11-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
That would be stating opinion as if it was fact... kind of like saying:

He said he heard that companies were dropping GC products... that it was hearsay. If you want clarification on something, ask without jumping all over other people.
subtle difference i'm afraid.

one is my opinion on a gaming console, one it the business direction of several companies. if we are playing that game... then fine...

i was in best buy yesterday and they told me that grand theft auto is available on Xbox right now... so go buy an xbox...
Old 01-11-03, 10:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by superboyreturns
I don't know why people get angry when they see their console failing.
But it isn't failing. It's doing far better than the N64 was at this point, and it's got a big selection of software as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.