Reload this Page >

Problems With Serious Sam : XBOX

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-07-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought two copies today to play over system link. Both games make the cd laser reader kick on and off frequently, so it sounds like it is overworking the laser.

Then, after about 10 minutes of play time both copies gave me the "Dirty or Defective Disc" message and shut down.

Are there known problems with this game? Does it need to be boiled? What is the safe procedure for that?

With all the people getting this for $9.99 at EB, surely some others are having this problem.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-03, 04:17 PM
Mod Emeritus

Has this ever happened to any other game for your Xbox?
Old 01-07-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope. Bought system on launch day, have about 15 games, NEVER had this message before.
Old 01-07-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
There are so many buggy/faulty X-box discs out there that for a while I thought it was my X-box and not the games.

Turns out that very often there are usually a bad "batch" of games here and there - but X-box only.
Old 01-07-03, 04:56 PM

I have this same problem with Serious Sam, Ghost Recon and Enclave. I'm sending my XBOX back to get fixed (bought it Dec 2001). Supposedly the older XBOXs have a lower quality Thomson DVD drive. MS is replacing these with the Phillips DVD to fix the frequent dirty disc error problems.
Old 01-07-03, 05:15 PM

Off topic but when are the MMXL members going to actually play each other online?
Old 01-07-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a known problem with the cd.... Basically there is a whole batch of bad dvds burnt like that. Let me find where I posted this before...

http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/f...threadid=26090

You will find some links I posted there. Hope this helps
Old 01-07-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'll try mine and get back to you. Hopefully, it's a good copy.
Old 01-07-03, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by gross@iastate
Off topic but when are the MMXL members going to actually play each other online?
Good question....we should put together s MotoGp team.
Old 01-07-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My question is...my Serious Sam ends in an 08...anyone else's who is having trouble?

Jeremy
Old 01-07-03, 07:34 PM

I went trough 3 copies of SS, and none worked, even with a serial # that didn't match the bad batch ones. Finally i got a cute girl working the counter at KB, and after charming her i managed to get another copy without her breaking the wrapper.
After i got back from vacation i took the game back and got Ratchet and Clank....much better game BTW....

The moral of this story is.....handsome men always get what they want.
Old 01-07-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks a lot for all the replies!

Now I just have to convince Best Buy that they really are defective and that my system is okay and for them to take them back, which I highly doubt they'll do.
Old 01-08-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to Best Buy and the cust serv person told me if I got 2 bad copies of the same game they would let me exchange it for a diff title. Don't know if this is store policy or if they are accommodating me.

Doesn't seem as if the serial number is a good indication of a good or bad disc.

Does the dirty disc error happen at start up or at a certain level?If a level, what level in terms of a number and not level title?
Old 01-08-03, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by finbogg
I have this same problem with Serious Sam, Ghost Recon and Enclave. I'm sending my XBOX back to get fixed (bought it Dec 2001). Supposedly the older XBOXs have a lower quality Thomson DVD drive. MS is replacing these with the Phillips DVD to fix the frequent dirty disc error problems.
is your xbox still under extended warranty? or is MS doing this for you for free? and I wonder how long the philips drives work before giving the dirty disc error... seems the thompsons went about a year +/-...
Old 01-08-03, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
The Thompson drives were included in most of the latest Xbox bundles also.

That being said, Serious Sam XBox is notorious for having problems.
Old 01-08-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The dirty disc error happened as soon as the second level began.
Old 01-08-03, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Shuki
is your xbox still under extended warranty? or is MS doing this for you for free? and I wonder how long the philips drives work before giving the dirty disc error... seems the thompsons went about a year +/-...
I talk about it more here...hope this helps.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=262053
Old 01-08-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DamingR
The dirty disc error happened as soon as the second level began.
Cool, because I've gotten past the second level, so everything seems to be fine <crosses fingers></crosses fingers>.

Jeremy
Old 01-08-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a *new Sega Bundle xBox

I have gotten dirty disc errors with EVERY game i have played. If i restart the system, everything is fine, sometimes however i must eject the disc.

This has happened to MINT games and used games w/ minor scratches.
Old 01-08-03, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by jasonr114
I have a *new Sega Bundle xBox

I have gotten dirty disc errors with EVERY game i have played. If i restart the system, everything is fine, sometimes however i must eject the disc.

This has happened to MINT games and used games w/ minor scratches.
Call 1800-4myxbox

That's the service line where you can report dirty disc errors. They should offer to fix it for free. If not call back until they do.
Old 01-08-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just played my copy of SS and got the DDE problem on the Valley of the Kings Level, specifically in the Chamber of Horus. This is after getting the 2nd element. Opened the tray and loaded again. Seemed fine, got further, but got the problem again just when I got to the save point in the level.

The game seems to load often especially in the earlier levels. Does anyone know if the pause in the game means it's actually loading or is this related to the DDE problem?

The Serial # on the disc: TT00401A-L0 03 01 & TT00401A-L1 01 13

Will exchange at Best Buy tomorrow and hope for a good copy.
Old 01-09-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently any disc ending with 13 as yours is bad, and apparently all copies at Best Buy end in 13... good luck. I need to go to BB myself.
Old 01-09-03, 10:16 AM

Even though this seems to be a disc manufacture problem, I'm hoping my XBOX repair will fix it. I guess this will test my theory that it's a mix of bad disk and bad DVD drives. I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-09-03, 11:10 AM

I got one of the discs ending in 13 and it had tons of loading problems during the gameplay. It seemed to freeze up any time I got one of those little messages for a few seconds.

I brought it back to EB, and we tested it in their xbox demo system. Where, of course, it ran fine. They let me exchange it for a new one anyway, and of course...I got the same exact number on the disc.

I played it a bit on my system and it got better after a few levels. Now it doesn't seem to freeze up when I get those messages. It still freezes every once in a while, but for less time than it used to. At one point, I got a dirty disk error though. I'll have to play it some more to determine whether I'll just keep it or exchange it again.
Old 01-09-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unlucky "13" strikes again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.