Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

ANy new PS2 games that feature Pro-Logic II or DTS Interactive....

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I got a few bucks to spend and since I can't make up my mind what I wanna buy I figured I'd give my home theatre (and thumbs) a workout.

So do you guys know of any new PS2 games that feature either Pro-Logic II or DTS Interactive and are actually worth a purchase rather than just a rental.

It could be anything from adventure, action, RPG or even (to a lesser extent) a shooter. Any recommendations?
Old 01-07-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City has DTS.
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 has ProLogic2
Wipeout Fusion has ProLogic2

I own all 3 games, and I think they are all worth owning. You can buy a new copy of Wipeout Fusion at gamestop.com for $19.
Old 01-07-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ratchet and Clank for PS2 also has Dolby Pro Logic II on it.
Old 01-07-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Joshic
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City has DTS.
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 has ProLogic2
Wipeout Fusion has ProLogic2

I own all 3 games, and I think they are all worth owning. You can buy a new copy of Wipeout Fusion at gamestop.com for $19.
Well I was actually aware of Vice City and forgot to mention that fact. I really enjoyed it when I rented it (much more than GTA3, which I hated) but am still unsure if it's worth a purchase.

As for Wipeout Fusion, that's a racing game, right? So which of these three do you feel has the best audio? (I don't know about the other two, as I've not played them, but GTA:VC had some really good directional effects even if the actual sound effects weren't up to par.)
Old 01-07-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by AgtFox
I've only played the demo but I liked what it had to offer. Does the game live up to it's promise?
Old 01-07-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any other sonically inclined suggestions?
Old 01-08-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RocShemp
Well I was actually aware of Vice City and forgot to mention that fact. I really enjoyed it when I rented it (much more than GTA3, which I hated) but am still unsure if it's worth a purchase.
Actually I'm just the opposite. I really enjoyed GTA3 and don't feel that Vice City is that special. Just more of the same. I mean it's still a great game, but I feel I've already been there, done that.

As for Wipeout Fusion, that's a racing game, right? So which of these three do you feel has the best audio? (I don't know about the other two, as I've not played them, but GTA:VC had some really good directional effects even if the actual sound effects weren't up to par.)
When you say "best audio", do you mean music or sound effects or channel separation in music or channel separation in sound effects?

Wipeout Fusion is an anti-gravity racing game, the latest in the line of Wipeout games which originally debuted on PSX and set the bar for high-speed futuristic racing. The latest iteration is a little different from the others in the series as it emphasizes combat a lot more, but it's still a great game.

I really like the music in Need for Speed. And when you do the "zone camera view" while racing you can hear a sound completely pan around the soundstage. This game is really great with the Logitech Driving Force wheel and a good sound system. If you check on gamerankings.com, you'll notice that it's the second highest-rated driving game on the PS2 to date, second only to GranTurismo3. Wipeout Fusion is the highest-rated futuristic racing game.

When you're driving in NFS, you can hear the cops sirens wailing behind you. And you can hear other racing cars coming up behind you. Same goes for Wipeout Fusion, but everything happens so much faster it's harder to notice the channel separation.

I think driving/racing games are a good way to exhibit channel seaparation. FPS games too.

If you really want to experience audio bliss, you should play games in DD5.1 on the Xbox. Like Halo.
Old 01-08-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One more thing - if you have dipole surround speakers, you're not going to get to hear as much distinction in the rear channel separation. I think that's a good thing for watching movies, but not such a good thing in gaming.

I use direct radiating speakers for my surrounds. I think they are not as good as dipoles for enveloping the listening area, but they are better when you need to know very clearly if a bad guy is sneaking up from your right rear and not your left rear.
Old 01-08-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Some of the EA Big games (not so new anymore) like SSX tricky and Sled Storm, have DTS audio.

PAL
Old 01-08-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Any details on the sound specs for Devil May Cry 2?
Old 01-08-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
DPLII works on all stereo sources; it's important for people to understand that.

However, certain media can be programmed specifically to work extremely well with the DPLII decoding.
Old 01-08-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by candyrocket786
Not sure if Capcom is riding either bandwagon (DTS or DPL2), so my guess would be it will not contain either, but I have not heard.
Old 01-08-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SOCOM has Pro Logic 2 support. It really helps during online play.
Old 01-08-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by candyrocket786
As far as I understand, Devil May Cry 2 is in PCM stereo (just like the first game).
Old 01-08-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually I'm just the opposite. I really enjoyed GTA3 and don't feel that Vice City is that special. Just more of the same. I mean it's still a great game, but I feel I've already been there, done that.

When you say "best audio", do you mean music or sound effects or channel separation in music or channel separation in sound effects?

Wipeout Fusion is an anti-gravity racing game, the latest in the line of Wipeout games which originally debuted on PSX and set the bar for high-speed futuristic racing. The latest iteration is a little different from the others in the series as it emphasizes combat a lot more, but it's still a great game.

I really like the music in Need for Speed. And when you do the "zone camera view" while racing you can hear a sound completely pan around the soundstage. This game is really great with the Logitech Driving Force wheel and a good sound system. If you check on gamerankings.com, you'll notice that it's the second highest-rated driving game on the PS2 to date, second only to GranTurismo3. Wipeout Fusion is the highest-rated futuristic racing game.

When you're driving in NFS, you can hear the cops sirens wailing behind you. And you can hear other racing cars coming up behind you. Same goes for Wipeout Fusion, but everything happens so much faster it's harder to notice the channel separation.

I think driving/racing games are a good way to exhibit channel seaparation. FPS games too.

If you really want to experience audio bliss, you should play games in DD5.1 on the Xbox. Like Halo.
By "best audio" I was refering to the quality of the sound effects and how good the channel separation is (with regards to the sound effects).

I'm basically looking for a sonically inmersive experience. I'm not a real fan of FPS games but I guess they usually have what I'm looking for.

Wipeout Fusion sounds interesting, though.

As for the X-Box, I don't have one (yet) as I'm waiting to see if the X-Box2 (or whatever it's gonna be called) is gonna be backwards compatible with the current X-Box software.

Speaking of the X-box, is it really as complicated as it seems to get 5.1 sound out of it? (No, I'm not making fun of the X-Box but actually asking.)

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-08-03 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-08-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
DPLII works on all stereo sources; it's important for people to understand that.

However, certain media can be programmed specifically to work extremely well with the DPLII decoding.
I knew that DPII works with any stereo source (it helps make up for the fact that MGS2:SOL only has four cutscenes that feature DD5.1) but are you saying that Ratchet & Clank is not DPII encoded?
Old 01-08-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One more thing - if you have dipole surround speakers, you're not going to get to hear as much distinction in the rear channel separation. I think that's a good thing for watching movies, but not such a good thing in gaming.

I use direct radiating speakers for my surrounds. I think they are not as good as dipoles for enveloping the listening area, but they are better when you need to know very clearly if a bad guy is sneaking up from your right rear and not your left rear.
I also have direct radiating speakers. I didn't know they were best for gaming, though. Good to know.
Old 01-08-03, 09:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

It's as easy getting 5.1 out of an Xbox as it is getting it out of a DVD player. Not sure where you heard it was hard?
Old 01-08-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh okay. It's just I kept hearing that it was a pain and a thread on a different forum left me really doubtful.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-09-03 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-08-03, 10:20 PM

I've only played the demo but I liked what it had to offer. Does the game (Ratchet & Clank) live up to it's promise?
Yes! Lots of fun! Very smooth 3D platformer. Fun to figure out which weapons/gadgets work in each area.

Also, it definitely has surround sound.
Old 01-08-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Guess it's a win win situation with Ratchet & Clank.
Old 01-09-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

On the subject of 5.1 audio on the X-Box, I only have on free optical input on my receiver and it's being used by my PS2. Is there some sort of switcher for optical cables (much like the A/V switchers used to connect multiple video equipment into TVs with few inputs) that I can purchase to be able to have both the PS2 and the X-Box hooked up to the optical input of my receiver?

It's just it seems it might be a pain to switch the optical cable back and forth between the X-Box (once I get it) and the PS2.
Old 01-09-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's just it seems it might be a pain to switch the optical cable back and forth between the X-Box (once I get it) and the PS2.
I have 2 digital outputs on my receiver. 1 is used for the DVD player and one switches between the PS2 and X-Box. I have no problem switching them back and forth...you get a little bit of exercise that way
Old 01-09-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On the subject of 5.1 audio on the X-Box, I only have on free optical input on my receiver and it's being used by my PS2. Is there some sort of switcher for optical cables (much like the A/V switchers used to connect multiple video equipment into TVs with few inputs) that I can purchase to be able to have both the PS2 and the X-Box hooked up to the optical input of my receiver?

You can either use something like this switch or an optical splitter.
Old 01-09-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By "best audio" I was refering to the quality of the sound effects and how good the channel separation is (with regards to the sound effects).
Ok well in that case I think Wipeout Fusion has good sound effects. I can't remark on the channel separation too much for this game yet cuz I haven't paid much attention to it.

Need For Speed: HP2 has crappy sound effects. Engine sounds don't sound very real at all. But channel separation is pretty good I think.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.