DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Best Football game for the PS2? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/261497-best-football-game-ps2.html)

bdshort 01-04-03 02:24 PM

Best Football game for the PS2?

I've thought about getting a Football game, along with a 2nd controler, for my PS2... which one is the best? I'm not a football fan, in that I dont watch it on TV much, but the video games have always seemed like they'd be fun to play. I would like something that is a good mix of fun and realism though.

And while I'm at it, which Baseball/Hockey/Basketball games are the best?

Brian

CROM1 01-04-03 03:32 PM

Madden NFL 2003.

nickdawgy 01-04-03 03:58 PM

IMO, here are the best:

Football: NFL 2K3 (realistic, great ESPN presentation)
Runner up: Madden 2003 (Has leaned more towards the arcade style, NFL Blitz gameplay)

Basketball: NBA 2K3 (definitely realistic, you can customize many different computer AI options.)
Runner up: NBA Live 2003 (Has jerseys from the past, which is way cool, but it's gameplay is almost exactly like NBA Jam. Teams get 20-30 steals a game, and 20-30 blocks a game. Nothing but dunks, and threes. Great if you like that kind of game, but if you want realism, stick with NBA 2K3.

Hockey: NHL 2003 (The NHL series has always been the best, IMO. I haven't tried the NHL 2K series, but I hear NHL 2K3 is good.
Runner up: NHL 2K3

Baseball: High Heat 2003 (If you want realism, this is your game. Gone are the days of either hitting a HR, a single, or getting an out every time you step up to the plate. You actually double, and triple in this game, and it happens alot. Just a great game.
Runner up: Triple Play Baseball (I haven't played the latest one in the series, but if it's like all the rest, it is definitely a great game.

Hope this helps you out, btw this is my first post here, so hi all :D

TaTTooD 01-04-03 06:01 PM

Originally posted by nickdawgy
IMO, here are the best:

Runner up: Madden 2003 (Has leaned more towards the arcade style, NFL Blitz gameplay)

what are you talking about? madden is nowhere near an arcade style of football. you sure you played the game? madden and nfl blitz arent even close. maybe you need to try playing the game again and re-evaluate your outlook on the game.

Gallant Pig 01-04-03 06:08 PM

Get 2K3, it's more affordable and a great game. I find Madden to be sluggish.

mr.snowmizer 01-04-03 06:13 PM

IMO, here are the best:

Basketball: NBA 2K3 (definitely realistic, you can customize many different computer AI options.)
Runner up: NBA Live 2003 (Has jerseys from the past, which is way cool, but it's gameplay is almost exactly like NBA Jam. Teams get 20-30 steals a game, and 20-30 blocks a game. Nothing but dunks, and threes. Great if you like that kind of game, but if you want realism, stick with NBA 2K3.

Hockey: NHL 2003 (The NHL series has always been the best, IMO. I haven't tried the NHL 2K series, but I hear NHL 2K3 is good.
Runner up: NHL 2K3

Baseball: High Heat 2003 (If you want realism, this is your game. Gone are the days of either hitting a HR, a single, or getting an out every time you step up to the plate. You actually double, and triple in this game, and it happens alot. Just a great game.
Runner up: Triple Play Baseball (I haven't played the latest one in the series, but if it's like all the rest, it is definitely a great game.

Hope this helps you out, btw this is my first post here, so hi all :D

I hate to have this reaction to a friendly first post, but...

Triple Play's a great game? And NHL 2003 over NHL 2k3? What kind of bizarro world is this?

ASB 2003 easily beats out Triple Play, no matter what standard is used, so that should be your runner-up, at least. The new baseball games arrive in just over a month, though, so unless you're going the bargain route, last year's games are now irrelevant.

And NHL 2003 can't touch NHL 2k3.

I won't argue with the basketball breakdown, however. :) Welcome to the forum. :D

nickdawgy 01-04-03 06:57 PM

I have to admit, I never played ASB 2003. I hear it is a good baseball game tho. Like I said, these are just my opinions lol.

Steelers Fan 01-04-03 07:14 PM

I have Madden 2003 and NCAA Football 2003 I love them both I would reccomend either. I have never played NFL 2K3

V-ism 01-04-03 07:15 PM

My opinion, all the Sega series over the EA ones.

NFL2k3 just feels and looks better to me than Madden, but it's a close race.

NBA 2k3 is no question the best to me. The Live series has always been terrible in the past and it wasn't until 2003 that they made it good. Still behind 2k3 though.

World Series Baseball on Xbox is the top. But since there isn't a current version on PS2, I'd go with All Star Baseball 2003. I'm not sure if WSB 2k3 will be on all consoles or not. Triple Play totally blows, they are ending the franchise for a reason. But I'd wait awhile for the new baseball games to come out to see how they shape up.

NHL 2k3 is great, but NHL 2003 is good too. Still I favor the Sega version more.

darkside 01-04-03 07:38 PM

I've played pretty much all the 2003 sports games.

Madden 2003 is my pick over NFL 2K3, but its very close. Both are great games. Madden just plays smoother for me. The play calling is effortless and it has some nice extras thrown in.

Basketball is a tough one. NBA 2K3 is a better overall sim, but I've grown tired of the slow and sluggish play. NBA Live 2003 is fast action like the NBA is suppose to be and the freestyle control is just amazing once you get it down. It may be more arcade like, but I think its a much more fun game to play.

For Baseball there is really no other PS2 choice but All Star Baseball 2003. Its not perfect, but I have had a lot of fun playing it. The pitching and hitting aspects are excellent. The hitting is harder than many other games to get down, but I find the batting averages and home runs to be more realistic than other Baseball games.

For Hockey I would give the edge to NHL 2K3, but as with football both are pretty solid games. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Lethal Nemesis 01-04-03 07:45 PM

I suggest you rent Madden 2003 and NFL 2K3 and see which one you like better. Both are excellent games, but I personally would go for Madden.

For basketball, I'd go with NBA 2K3.

illfrozn 01-04-03 11:11 PM

-Football:I purchased NFL 2K3 a little while after it has been released.At first,everything was ok,and then I became extremely disappointed in the game and traded it in.I bought Madden 2003 and I am extremely happy.When you get bored with 2K3,there is nothing outside of the gaming to do.Franchise?Bad.In Madden,there is so much more to do.

-Basketball:NBA 2K3.I have played both games,and the gameplay of Live 2003 is so much better,but there is nothing to do outside of the game.Franchise mode?Horrible.I say in a year or two,Live will be the game to get,but until then,stick with 2K3.

nickdawgy 01-05-03 01:52 AM

I haven't played Madden 2003, but their franchise mode must be awesome if it's better then 2K3's.

What does it have that 2K3 doesn't have?

TaTTooD 01-05-03 02:16 AM

I haven't played Madden 2003, but their franchise mode must be awesome if it's better then 2K3's.

What does it have that 2K3 doesn't have?

from what i've read so far a lot of your opinions are based what? you havent even played most of the games you've given opinions on

bdshort 01-05-03 01:54 PM

Wow, I can see there is some debate here over what's best ;)

I haven't bought anything yet... Wal-Mart didnt have 2K3 so I bought GTA:Vice City instead ;) I did notice they had NFL 2K2 for $30... is 2K3 worth $20 more?

Brian

mr.snowmizer 01-05-03 02:26 PM

NFL 2k3 should cost you $19.99 in many places, and no more than $29.99 everywhere else.

Demand did not come close to supply.

V-ism 01-05-03 04:02 PM

world series baseball 2k3 will indeed be out for PS2 this march.

bdshort 01-05-03 06:15 PM

Wal-Mart here charges $49.95... Thanks for the warning though, I'll keep an eye out online.

Brian

mr.snowmizer 01-05-03 07:28 PM

Circuit City is one of the many at $19.99.

Just buy it anywhere but Wal-Mart.

TaTTooD 01-05-03 07:44 PM

does anyone kinda wonder why NFL2K3 only cost $20 to $30 on most systems?

yeah..thats right....cause it wasnt selling at all.............

who wants to guess why?

yeah...thats right..............................cause it SUCKS!!!!

Madden has owned and will continue to own the console gaming world. :D

nickdawgy 01-06-03 05:56 AM

I disagree, I have played past Madden games (which I admit, rocked) this year I have played 2K3, and altho I have not played Madden 2003, I hear it doesn't live up to expectations. I have read many reviews on it.

Oh and FYI, Tattood, I played all but 2 of the games I gave my opinion on, Madden 2003, and NHL 2K3.

I think you just want everyone to like what you like, and you bag on the other games, lol.

jonw9 01-06-03 06:46 AM

I have Madden 2003, and wish I had gotten NCAA!!

NCAA supposedly uses last years Madden engine (so NCAA 2003 is a dressed up Madden 2002), plus you have the option and no annoying John Madden saying the same 3 words EVERY SINGLE DOWN!!

[J.M.] Boom, I think the offense is going to try and score again [/J.M.]

bdshort 01-06-03 08:52 AM

Oops... the Wal-Mart here just had 2k2 for $30... they don't have 2k3, so I dont know why I thought it cost $50... I guess I just assumed if they had last years edition for $30 than the new version would cost $50.

Brian

~~ PAL ~~ 01-06-03 10:10 AM

Originally posted by bdshort
Oops... the Wal-Mart here just had 2k2 for $30... they don't have 2k3, so I dont know why I thought it cost $50... I guess I just assumed if they had last years edition for $30 than the new version would cost $50.

Brian

As previously mentioned, NFL2K3 can be had for $19.99 now. To make the deal even better, get one of those Best Buy $5 off Video game coupons. Either price match at BB and buy it there, or go to CC and tack on the $5 coupon (if competitor coupons are accepted). It's a great pick up at $15. :up:

As far as the football games go, I have not played both 2K3 and Madden 2003, so I won't give my opinions here. But statistics showed that Madden is outselling 2K3 at a minimum of 8:1 ratio. However, it is my opinion that people shouldn't be getting slammed for giving their own opinions on a game, just because it's different from the majority.

PAL

nickdawgy 01-06-03 04:16 PM

I paid $29.99 for NFL 2K3, and I am happy with it. It was well worth the price. I didn't buy Madden because it was more expensive, but after hearing about it from friends, and reading reviews, I am glad I didn't buy it.