Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Febuary EGM (Reviews, Features, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Febuary EGM (Reviews, Features, etc.)

Got the new EGM here, thought I'd share the basics with you.

Interesting news: Sims is coming to all three consoles, not just PS2.

I'll update later with GBA reviews and some of the features. If you have a particular question about what a review said just ask, I may take the time to answer you. But if you really care, you could always buy the mag.

Also should mention that alot of these games are available on cross platforms. I don't know why EGM decides to review some individully, and others not. Here you go:

Reviews (In order of publication)

PS2
ATV Offroad Fury 2
8.5 , 7.5 , 7.0

Dead to Rights
7.5 , 7.0 , 6.5

Dynasty Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends

Pro Race Driver

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
8.0 , 7.5 , 7.0

.hack Part 1: Infection
7.5 , 7.5, 6.0

Minority Report
6.5 , 5.5 , 6.0

Star Wars Bounty Hunter
6.0 , 7.0 , 5.0

The Sims (Silver Award)
9.5 , 8.5, 8.0

War of the Monsters
9.5 , 6.5, 7.0

Gamecube
Swingerz Golf
7.5 , 6.5 , 7.0

Hunter: The Reckoning
6.0 , 7.0 , 6.5

Blood Omen 2

Evolution Worlds

Ledgends of Wrestling II
7.0 , 6.0, 5.0

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Silver Award)
8.0 , 8.5 , 8.5

Skies of Arcadia Ledgends (Gold Award) (Game of the Month)
9.0 , 9.5 , 9.0

Xbox
Battle Engine Aquila
7.0, 7.5, 8.0

Dark Angel

Fatal Frame

BMX XXX
2.5 , 3.0 , 3.5

Capcom vs SNK 2: EO (Silver Award)
7.5 , 7.5 , 9.0

Crimson Sea
7.0 , 7.5 , 7.0

Kabuto Chojin: Back Alley Brutal
2.5 , 4.0 , 3.0

Superman: The Man of Steel
4.0, 4.0, 2.5

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Silver Award)

SeaBlade

Panzer Dragoon Orta (Silver Award)
9.0 , 8.5 , 9.0

Shrek Super Party
Old 01-03-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know when this issue will be in stores? I recently subscribed to EGM, so I doubt it will start with the February issue.
Old 01-03-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How did Shrek Super Party for Xbox get such a high score?

And.. Panzer Dragoon..

Why did they give Evolution such a low score? Were they turned off by amount of gameplay? Too used to crap like Final Fantasy I suppose. (inner voice: you have to remember, rouge games are not for everybody) Shut up you.
Old 01-03-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you tell us why Panzer Dragoon only got 8.5s and 9s? What prevented it from getting a higher score?
Old 01-03-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jeraden
Can you tell us why Panzer Dragoon only got 8.5s and 9s? What prevented it from getting a higher score?
The only thing I can think of.. the PD games save Saga are generally not very long. Beautiful. Engaging. Hellafied Fun. Short.

(edit: Saga was pretty short too.. o_o)
Old 01-03-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
The only thing I can think of.. the PD games save Saga are generally not very long. Beautiful. Engaging. Hellafied Fun. Short.

(edit: Saga was pretty short too.. o_o)
Is the original PD unlockable as an emulation on this game as before rumored?
Old 01-03-03, 01:00 PM

I just finished reading the review for Skies of Arcadia Legend and I'm really pumped to play it! I didn't know it was coming out so soon.

I think pixy is right, even though all the reviews for Panzer Dragoon were glowing, they said the game can be completed in 5 hours.
Old 01-03-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zero
Is the original PD unlockable as an emulation on this game as before rumored?
This had been confirmed for some time now. Yup. Too bad they didn't just throw Zwei on there as well.
Old 01-03-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
This had been confirmed for some time now. Yup. Too bad they didn't just throw Zwei on there as well.
Yeah, but Im just thrilled they included PD. Keep in mind most gamers arent into history, and have no clue why I squell like a giddy little school girl at the thought of this game. I tried to get someone to pre-order at work, and the minute I said "Sega Saturn...old game...update" He said "its ok then, I thought it was a new game".

Heres what I said

"Orta is a follow-up to the Panzer Dragoon series on the Sega Saturn. An update if you will on the formula that was used in Panzer Dragoon parts 1 and 2, and osme elements of RPG."

the above is what he heard.
Old 01-03-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Slow month for games, as expected.
Old 01-03-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

or Panzer Dragoon Saga.... best 32bit rpg IMHO.
Old 01-03-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Lastblade
It is pretty damn good. Too bad only a handful of people have ever had the chance to play it.
Old 01-03-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
8.0 , 7.5 , 7.0"

I got PSM yesterday and they gave it a score of 3.
Old 01-03-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The dudes at EGM are die hard Dragon Ball fans,if your not a fan then a 3 would be the correct score.
Old 01-03-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It is pretty damn good. Too bad only a handful of people have ever had the chance to play it.
Luckily I did. I played it through about 10 different times. Its short for RPGs, but an incredible ride all the way through.

I also played through Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, but after reading the EGM review I'm pumped to buy it again for the GameCube.

Orta looks like a solid game, maybe not the next coming of Halo or anything, but a top notch shooter. I think the limited freedom of a rail shooter might have hurt it a little bit and maybe the length of gameplay. Looks like its a great game though.
Old 01-03-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have arcadia for dc. never really played it tho... whats the review say about the new one? (though ill be gettin the egm too soon)
Old 01-03-03, 10:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Is this the same Skies of Arcadia game that was on DC?

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 01-03-03 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-03-03, 10:57 PM

Questions Answered Round 1

I'll try and add the GBA and feature stuff tomorrow, I've been far to busy with my working on my speakers today.

Reviewer 1 (9.0) - "The biggest problem with Orta is the camera often has a hard time keeping up with your position on the radar in relation to the creatures you are fighting; losing sight of a target while making a breanect speed-up manuever near a towering boss is a pain."

Reviewer 2 (8.5) - "Sure, you're kinda short, but hey, no one's perfect."

Reviewer 3 (9.0) - No Negative comments other then mentioning short play time of 6 hours

Keep in mind though, there is a lot of praise for the game. They claim it has a lot of replayability as the game has a lot of secrets to unlock. So if you don't mind replaying it you can get a lot of game time out of it.

-i have arcadia for dc. never really played it tho... whats the review say about the new one? (though ill be gettin the egm too soon)

-Is this the same Skies of Arcadia game that was on DC?
EGM says "First, yes, this is basically a port of a 2-year-old game for Sega's defunct Dreamcast console. But, unlike most shovelware, it's not a quick and dirty transfer; think of it more as a director's cut. The developer has stuffed a lot of new content into the original adventure..."

It continues on to say it has better graphics, inhanced battle system, refined fighting system, extras, etc... All of which raises the game to gold status I guess.

So yes it's the same game, but with a lot more polish. If you already played the DC version you'll have to decide if the extra's are enough to warrent playing it again.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 01-03-03 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-03-03, 10:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

That score seems way bloated for a port, nicely done or not.
Old 01-03-03, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
That score seems way bloated for a port, nicely done or not.
Going to have to disagree, just on the merit of what you are saying. (Obviously I have not played it for the GC yet.)

The game in their opinion is good. Regardless if it's an older title. Just because it's old and been released does not mean it should get lower ratings. If the gameplay was no longer on par with modern games that one thing, but that is not the case here.

A great game is a great game.
Old 01-03-03, 11:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sure, but originality should mean something. Also, by what you are saying, a port from an older system to a newer system should have no less a score as long as it's the same quality game from before. Definitely not the case, if the port isn't better then it's knocked down. Now if they take their time and do a good job, sure give it a decent score, but to act like it's never been to market before, blah. That sucks.
Old 01-03-03, 11:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

They also sold very few copies of the original, I doubt this will do anything, especially being the GC. I'd much rather have Sega working on more original stuff.
Old 01-04-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
They also sold very few copies of the original, I doubt this will do anything, especially being the GC. I'd much rather have Sega working on more original stuff.
This is a great game. One of the best games I played on the Dreamcast. I'm happy its getting a second chance to find an audience. It well deserved its Gold rating if they have made all the improvements to the game engine plus added to the storyline and characters to a game that was already very good.

Considering how few Dreamcast owners there were its almost like this is a new game. I'm betting most GameCube owners have never heard of the original. I agree not every game should be rereleased. Evolution deserved to stay forgotten.

To each his own, but I'm buying it again.

Last edited by darkside; 01-04-03 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-04-03, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Lastblade
I'm gonna have to disagree on that statement. While it was a good game, and I did play through it twice, I wouldn't go as far as proclaiming it best, for that title is already taken by Shining Force 3 (which is about 3 times as long, yet I've played through it 3 more times than I did with Panzer Dragoon Saga)

Although, to each his own, I guess
Old 01-04-03, 02:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

You guys are probably right, I guess it does deserve a good score like that. Hopefully people will buy it this time around though, and maybe scores like this will help it out. I think if I feel like playing it again I'll get the $15 DC version and spend my money on Dragoon instead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.