Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gamer's Gift Cards w/ $5 coupons disappearing from BB ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 12:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I had thoroughly searched my 3 local Best Buys, and had not seen any of these for about a month.

I finally hit my 4th closet BB and found them yesterday, so I bought about 12.

FYI, they can be found in at least 4 different locations in BB: the video game area, the front counters, the GC display near the front of the store, and the customer service area.

Is this disappearing act nationwide? Any BB employees with any inside scoop? These coupons are good for another year, and are accepted at Circuit City also.
Old 12-30-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the one's I bought were clearly holiday themed which are now ending.
Old 12-30-02, 12:59 PM

Why does Circuit City takes them?

My cards with the coupons are birthday themed ones with a large green Xbox controller on it.
Old 12-30-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Lamer
Why does Circuit City takes them?
Most CCs will take Best Buy Coupons. Another note, during the 10% off preferred customers weekends they take the coupon and typically don't look at the exclusions. Folks always rant about CC but recently I find there Customer Service much better than BB.
Old 12-30-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: Gamer's Gift Cards w/ $5 coupons disappearing from BB ?

Originally posted by Trevor
I had thoroughly searched my 3 local Best Buys, and had not seen any of these for about a month.

I finally hit my 4th closet BB and found them yesterday, so I bought about 12.

FYI, they can be found in at least 4 different locations in BB: the video game area, the front counters, the GC display near the front of the store, and the customer service area.

Is this disappearing act nationwide? Any BB employees with any inside scoop? These coupons are good for another year, and are accepted at Circuit City also.
They are pretty much hit and miss. In October, only 1 of 3 nearby BBs had these gamer GCs. Then on Black Friday, another one all of a sudden were displaying hundreds of these, as if they forgot to put them out on the shelves. But regardless, these coupons from the GCs would expire by tomorrow.

PAL
Old 12-30-02, 01:51 PM

The coupons coupled with those GC's expire on 12/31/02 - they might just be pulling them early.
Old 12-30-02, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Mattalos
The coupons coupled with those GC's expire on 12/31/02 - they might just be pulling them early.
Nope, they don't expire until 12/31/03.
Old 12-30-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow my store had an entire endcap filled with them the other night...
Old 12-30-02, 02:48 PM

Good news is you can put 1 cent on each of the GCs to get the $5 coupons!
Old 12-30-02, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Best Buy has had about 10 billion of the cards on the shelves, and I've never seen anyone take one. I've bought games there, but have never used one either - I took one to the counter once to use on a purchase, and the girl told me I had to put $5 on the card to use it, so I said screw that. Now that I know differently, guess I'll put them to use......
Old 12-30-02, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
My Best Buy has had about 10 billion of the cards on the shelves, and I've never seen anyone take one. I've bought games there, but have never used one either - I took one to the counter once to use on a purchase, and the girl told me I had to put $5 on the card to use it, so I said screw that. Now that I know differently, guess I'll put them to use......
Even if you have to put $5 on the card, which one employee there has told me, why did you hesitate? You are just trading your cash for BB cash, in effect. You can use as many gift cards per transaction that you want, and one $45 game (after using one of the coupons of course), will take 9+ of the cards.

I have bought about 30 of these things, always putting $5 on the card, but it is pretty easy to spend $150 at BB.
Old 12-31-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I think the minimum is something like 2-3 dollars... I highly doubt they'll let you put 1 cent on it, unless you get a particularly clueless employee.

I don't see the problem with putting 5 dollars down. You need to spend at least 15 bucks to use the coupon (19.99 - 5) so it's not like you'll have a useless gift certificate...
Old 12-31-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

put $15.00 on it, then use the coupon on a greatest hits title. I've done that without any problems.
Old 01-06-03, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BB I go to had tons of these on shelves above the XBOX games and they are in plastic jewel cases. I picked up 4 of the gift cards on Saturday.

I only put $5.00 on each card and that was fine with the person that rang me up. Now I've got my coupons to use and they don't expire until 12/31/03.
Old 01-06-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to know that BB made a new batch of these Gamer GCs. The old ones expires at 12/31/02. So the ones with the new expiration date must have been a new release.

I'll have to go pick up a couple the next time I'm there.

PAL
Old 01-06-03, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Glad to know that BB made a new batch of these Gamer GCs. The old ones expires at 12/31/02. So the ones with the new expiration date must have been a new release.

I'll have to go pick up a couple the next time I'm there.

PAL
The ones that I've been buying for the last year or so have always had the 12/31/03 expiration date. I never had the 12/31/02 ones in this area of the country.
Old 01-06-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The ones that I've been buying for the last year or so have always had the 12/31/03 expiration date. I never had the 12/31/02 ones in this area of the country.
I see. But the initial release of the Gamer GCs had coupons that did expire at the end of 2002. The last few times that I saw them in mid-December, I simply assumed that they had the same expiration date (the color and design of the GCs were identical), so I didn't even look at them at all.

PAL
Old 01-06-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy seems to have clamp down on this a little. I've been doing this for about 4 months without trouble. When I went to BB about 2 weeks ago the guy said he couldn't do it for a list of reasons (the card doesn't work for hours, he can't ring it all as one purchase, ect.). So I told him to try it and it worked fine. Later that day I went to get another game and the next guy gave me the same crap. Management must be telling them to give people a hard time hoping they will just not do it.
Old 01-06-03, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Icculus
Best Buy seems to have clamp down on this a little. I've been doing this for about 4 months without trouble. When I went to BB about 2 weeks ago the guy said he couldn't do it for a list of reasons (the card doesn't work for hours, he can't ring it all as one purchase, ect.). So I told him to try it and it worked fine. Later that day I went to get another game and the next guy gave me the same crap. Management must be telling them to give people a hard time hoping they will just not do it.
Sorry, but I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. What is 'this' and 'it'?
Old 01-06-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, but I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. What is 'this' and 'it'?
Not a clue, somebody else posted that when I forgot to sign out of my account .