Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Who's a "Cable Puller" XBOX Live related

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who's a "Cable Puller" XBOX Live related

Ok, i'm getting quite upset with people thinking they are SO damn good at NFL2K3. If someone is getting there a$$ handed to them, they simply unplug the cable and wait for it to time out. I guess it gives both people a win which is complete Bull****. I guess there is a list out there that lists all the "cable-pullers", and half the top 40 are "cable-pullers"

So, to all you anal "cable-pullers", go pull on your own cable.

Sorry, my rant for the day
Old 12-27-02, 07:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You have to take the good with the bad. In online gaming, the bad is rampant cheating.
Old 12-27-02, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its pretty funny thinking back to the comment someone made about how xbox live wouldnt have this sorta thing when people were complaining about how common it is in madden on the ps2. people that cant take losing and wanna cheat to get wins are everywhere. i guess it just took awhile

DJ_Longfellow....nows the time when you start playing only people you know. thats all i've done for months now.
Old 12-27-02, 08:02 AM
Banned

Yeah, I have the PS2 with a network adaptor and it also happens sometimes when I'm beating the hell out of somebody in Madden online. I take my beatings when they happen.

I always wondered if it was like this with Xbox live. I'd be especially pissed if I had to pay for Xbox online and people did this.
Old 12-27-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

God forbid having a loss on the record .... people might think you're not the pefect (insert game title) player.
Old 12-27-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pull my cable everyday. I don't have nfl2k3 though.
Old 12-27-02, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by silentbob007
God forbid having a loss on the record .... people might think you're not the pefect (insert game title) player.
Losses suck, but if you lose, you should take it. There should be stat tracking with unplug tracking. That way, if you lose and unplug, it can be seen as a loss.......or something like that
Old 12-27-02, 04:23 PM

There should only be a disconnection percentage displayed, not wins/losses. Take away the W/L tracking and the incentive for sad, shallow people who derive their self-worth solely from their online records largely disappears. The play would become the thing, not the result.

Lack of stat tracking is one reason why GR is so satisfying online. In what should be a somewhat similar experience in MechAssault, you'll find people complaining about others swooping in to rack up "their" kill and players (including the host) dropping if they get off to a bad start. These are unheard of in GR.
Old 12-27-02, 04:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Even without stat tracking you'll see this sort of thing. In Magic Online there is no tracking of casual games, yet you'll see people in trouble who stop responding in hopes of getting you to concede the game. It accomplishes nothing. This even happens in the free area where you only have a guest account for two hours.
Old 12-27-02, 05:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by TaTTooD
its pretty funny thinking back to the comment someone made about how xbox live wouldnt have this sorta thing when people were complaining about how common it is in madden on the ps2. people that cant take losing and wanna cheat to get wins are everywhere. i guess it just took awhile

DJ_Longfellow....nows the time when you start playing only people you know. thats all i've done for months now.
Except this can be easily fixed if Sega so chooses

Oh yeah, playing a game against someone you know and typing to talk to them must really suck, huh?
Old 12-27-02, 06:04 PM
zig

Welcome to online gaming. I agree with the general concensus.. if you can't play with people you know, playing online sucks most of the time.
Old 12-27-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So I'm playing NFL2k3. My opponent is good at running. Really good. 90% of his plays were runs and he got 5-10 yards each time. I could picture him racking up dozens of points against people like this.

But I've been playing the NFL2k series since the 1st DC game. I aint no sucka. After a quarter of watching him rack up the yards, I shut him down. Not completely, but enough. It becomes obvious that he's not exactly a well rounded player. He cant stop my passing game. He refuses to punt. He's predictable. But he still can run.

4th quarter. I have 28 points on the board. He has 21. 16 seconds left and has has the ball on the 4 yard line. He rushes(of course) and makes it inside the endzone. 28-27. I'm already planning my overtime strategy. But NO. He goes for 2. He's insane. I stop him from converting. I see light at the end of the tunnel. I'm gonna win...by 1 point.

I get the ball after he fails an onside kick. I sit on it. tick tock tick tock tick tock. Game Over! I win!!!
...[[waiting for remote host]]...
What the hell. He disconnected! Right as the game was about to end! Son of a bitch!

Cable pullers must die.

D
Old 12-27-02, 08:27 PM

Fragile, fragile egos...

Old 12-27-02, 08:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
This happens to me all the time on NCAA basketball 2k3. Just last night I was beating someone 19-2 5 minutes in and I get the disconnect message. I hope Sega fixes this.
Old 12-27-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll never, ever have enough games played to worry about such things. You have to wonder about people who have played 250 games in the month and a half of Xbox live's existance...
Old 12-27-02, 09:12 PM

If Sega does not fix this I will not purchase any more Sega sports online games. I don't want to deal with this kind of thing when it can be easily avoided by Sega. I have NFL 2k3 but have not opened it due to the large amount of games I have gotten recently and will return it and only repurchase it if they fix this issue.

Sega is a big company and should be able to deal with this
Old 12-27-02, 09:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Are you guys leaving negative feedback about these guys? Doesn't NFL Fever have a fix for this too?
Old 12-27-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Im not a cable puller but who cares. You still get the win.
Old 12-27-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bluntman72

Sega is a big company and should be able to deal with this

EA is too and we've yet to see anything really with the same problems in Madden. The most theyve done so far is to delete accounts that have a high disconnect % but people can just create new ones.

What i would like to see which would never happen, at least with XBox Live is if a person has a high enough disconnect % your XBox Live account is deleted and you're forced to buy a new one. This would definitely deter people from pulling and racking up a disconnect %.
Old 12-27-02, 10:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

If they don't take action against people who are crappy players then what's the feedback for? Others can't see your feedback, it's meant only for MS. I'm sure when negative feedback accumulates to a point they will warn you and/or delete your account.

Also, what can EA do for Madden? They sure can't patch the game like Sega can and already has for 2K. Sega just needs to realize this problem and fix it with a patch like they did for the pause problem.

Also, can you have unlimited accounts with Madden? Like if you get booted, you can just start a new account?

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 12-27-02 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-27-02, 10:40 PM

Hopefully they come out with a patch, but the only decision I can make is who I give my money to and it won't be to Sega until they fix this issue. I hope that they use the feedback to boot cheaters but only time will tell.

does NFL Fever have the same problem, it may not be as good of a game but if they dont have this issue then I will get Fever for now.
Old 12-27-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Also, can you have unlimited accounts with Madden? Like if you get booted, you can just start a new account?

you can have as many as you want
Old 12-27-02, 10:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah I'm pretty sure they list "disconnect" rate as a player stat. Also another cool feature is you can play in the same weather as is currently in the city you are playing.
Old 12-28-02, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by s}{ammer
I pull my cable everyday. I don't have nfl2k3 though.
I see you've been playing "Pocket Pool 2002" huh?
Old 12-28-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2002, that is so yesterday, I am on 2003. With 2003 you have to use both hands because the controller is so big.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.