Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does your family dislike your gaming lifestyle?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine does They almost refuse to buy games for Christmas for me. My wife has no problem with my son doing nothing, but if he is on the GBA, it is wrong.

My wife complains that I don't play my games enough to justify having them, but then makes sure that I don't have time to play.

It is an evil conspiracy.

The axis of evil is my wife, my family, and my kids.

I will not rest. I shall play. Can't they just accept my lifestyle
Old 12-26-02, 12:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I have a family?

Oh crap, now I know why all the other people living with me were giving me such angry looks yesterday.
Old 12-26-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My family has never had a problem with my gaming. When I was younger, they would buy me games (I usually bought the systems). They were probably happy that I was indoors playing video games instead of out getting into trouble (even though I still got into my fair share of trouble).

Also, every girl that I've ever dated has either been a gamer or enjoyed at least watching video games.
Old 12-26-02, 12:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by dgmayor
Also, every girl that I've ever dated has either been a gamer or enjoyed at least watching video games.
Translation: dgmayor has never dated.
Old 12-26-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, my family has always been this way. My parents always thought that playing video games was a waste of time, but "playing" outside was time well spent -- no matter what I was actually doing.

My wife didn't grow up on video games, and doesn't really understand them or give them a chance. She also makes it very uncomfortable for me to play, as to her "it's a waste of time." I also get the dreaded "you don't play them enough to justify the cost."

I don't have a solution, but when you come up with one, let me know.
Old 12-26-02, 04:11 PM

Fortunately I'm one of the rare breed (female gamer) so it's not a problem in my house. I would think, though, that your best strategy would be to explain to your wife/girlfriend that playing games is part of how you relax and have fun, and compare it to something that she does to relax that you don't find interesting. That might help her to understand.

As for the kids - get them a gameboy and send them outside to play with it! It's easier to see the screen out there anyway...
Old 12-26-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I never understood people who label videogames as a waste of time, but see no problem with spending hours and hours in front of the television.

My solution: get her hooked on Animal Crossing! It's done wonders for my wife (though I've had to move the PS2 into the other room as a result).

When you have a family, you definitely have less time to spend playing videogames, especially if you enjoy them by yourself (if you like sports games and multiplayer, at least you can invite other people over). But there should be times when everyone else is doing something that you can find the time to play. My biggest problem was that my wife didn't really have any hobbies or anything, so if we were both home, if I played videogames she'd be bored stiff.
Old 12-26-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Considering my gifts included 6 games (3 XBOX, 2 GameCube, and 1 PC), I guess they're okay with it....
Old 12-26-02, 09:59 PM

I'm not a gamer (minus a mild addiction to EverCrack), I just date them.

*grin*

- Muse
Old 12-27-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My family has no real problem with me gaming just so long as Im able to hold onto some money by the next time I get paid and not blow it all on games.....Im trying real hard.
Old 12-27-02, 02:05 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most of my gaming is done after my wife and 3 yr. old daughter go to sleep so it's usually not a problem. Except of course when I don't wake up until 10:30AM because I was up till 4-5AM playing.
Old 12-27-02, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My family really thinks I spend to much time killing on the internet. oh well, they understand.

My girlfriend enjoys video games. She likes the violence and the best part, she really enjoys Watching the games being played. Woooo hoooo!
Old 12-27-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because I work long hours and have a wife and two kids (a 2 yr. old and a 1 mth. old), I have little time for viewing DVDs and playing games. Hence, I do not own any of the next gen consoles, and haven't played PS2 or N64 in over a year. I get my gaming in at work--get in early to play computer games or in transit--I play GBA on my way in on the subway.

I do miss the all-nighters in front of the television trying to get through "just one more level" or win one more race, etc.
Old 12-27-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

blakwngbrd wrote:
I would think, though, that your best strategy would be to explain to your wife/girlfriend that playing games is part of how you relax and have fun, and compare it to something that she does to relax that you don't find interesting. That might help her to understand.
That is some really good advice. And it works. As long as you have balance in all things, your wife/girlfriend/family should be ok with some time spent on gaming. Tell them that gaming helps you relax and relieve stress. For example, many women go out to shop for fun and to relieve stress. You can tell your wife that although she may find shopping to be fun, you don't feel the same way. And then say that the same thing applies to gaming. Or any other activity.
Old 12-27-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The biggest thing for me is just finding the time. My wife actually bought me the new James Bond game for Christmas. She said I hadn't bought any games in a while. I thought that was pretty cool. We have a 10 month old, so there isn't a whole lot of free time. I usually hit the xbox after everyone is in bed.
Old 12-27-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Kromax - That sounds eerily similar to me. Fight the good fight, someday you will retire, and play all the ones you missed.

KingSmoth - That is a bucket full of suck. I am a religious wacko myself, but just plain don't understand the whole "This is from the devil" thing. Two suggestions that I have used on wackos at my own church who hate Harry Potter, etc. First, when something is identified as "from the devil" you need to respond, "You seem to look for the devil harder than you look for Jesus...you can find him in anything." You can also quote numerous versus about how God can use seemingly bad things for good...such as games in which you are defeating evil (used this on Diablo and it worked great).

Don't let them sour you on games or on religion.

einTier- you and me brother....you and me.
Old 12-28-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of my hobbies are considered to be a waste of time and money.

I have a room with hundreds of toys, walls of posters, figures, collectable items, tons of DVD and a vast collection of games and it is all considered a waste by much of my family.

But I've never been one to care about what others say and think.

Then again.....this year my parents bought me a carrying case for my XBOX and my in-laws bought me Splinter Cell. I guess they were either hard up for gifts or they are just dealing with it all much better now.
Old 12-28-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Even if your family is okay with your gaming lifestyle, JustinS isn't.

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=259557
Old 12-28-02, 11:13 AM
Cool New Member

heh, my family hasnt hated my gaming life but I just havnt been playing games much lately. But when I did, I would sit in front of the TV for hours at a time and my mom would tell me to get out more and now she cant say that anymore!
Old 12-29-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife doesnt like it too much, but my girlfriend is ok with it.
Old 12-29-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rocketsauce
My wife doesnt like it too much, but my girlfriend is ok with it.
My wife and my girlfriend hate my gaming, but now I am going out with this guy who is also a gamer. Life, right now, is quite sweet.