DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Vice City- Bombs Away (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/259379-vice-city-bombs-away.html)

timewaster 12-23-02 10:42 PM

Vice City- Bombs Away

This mission is damn near impossible. I've been trying for 2 weeks now and havent been close. Any shortcuts/hints that will make the mission easier?

darkside 12-23-02 11:08 PM

If ifs the Hati RC plane mission you need Luck. Thats about it. The planes in this game handle like crap so it takes more luck than skill. You can beat the game without passing this mission. Thats what I had to do, because I could never pass it. You should blow up the guy near the car first though and then go after the boats.

I got it down to one boat a few times, but never passed the mission after about 50 tries. That was over a month ago and I haven't played Vice City since.

discostu1337 12-24-02 08:21 AM

ah, the airplane flying one....bascially, all u need to do is make sure u get 2 boats with 1 plane right away or something, then the rest u can just crash into the boats and the final car.

Red Dog 12-24-02 08:43 AM

Got Vice City last week. I am currently stuck on the stunt boat challenge and stealing the tank missions. Haven't tried that many times yet though.

TheMadMonk 12-24-02 09:23 AM

I actually passed this mission on the 2nd try. Just luck I guess. But I didn't really think it was that tough. I just made sure to dive-bomb and be as close to the boat as possible before dropping the bomb.

Red Dog - tank spoiler...
Spoiler:
Just follow behind the tank group for a while; don't get too close, and don't attack them. They will eventually stop (for donuts, I think), and the driver of the tank gets out to go get them!. Then you just have to run up to the tank and hop in and drive it to the destination that appears (easy)

My most difficult mission is Checkpoint Charlie. I just can't drive those boats well.

Draven 12-24-02 09:40 AM

I actually managed to do that one on the first try. Total luck though, and the last plane was on fire when I beat the mission. I just swooped low and hit the button a ton of times over each boat and they all blew up.

blakwngbrd 12-24-02 01:21 PM

Luck on our part also - one of the boats got stuck under the bridge and couldn't move. Since we still had one "life" left we kamekazied it. Also, I found it helpful to navigate by the radar instead of the visual display. Since you have to be pretty much right over the boats the bomb them anyway, it just makes it easier.

jw2299 12-24-02 02:30 PM

I didn't think this one was too hard. I think I got it on my second try. That's not bragging or anything because i'm stuck on some of the simpler missions for most people.

The one I can't get is Messing with the Man. I've tried that one about 50 times and can't even get the bar above half full. Any tips would be appreciated. :)

Wazootyman 12-24-02 03:41 PM

JW - if you blast at a car with the machine gun, non-stop I hear the meter fills up really fast (my method was the more insane blasting every single random police car, and inching by my goal with about 5 life left)

As for Checkpoint Charlie, I dunno who on here gave me this strategy, but go into first person mode (makes hitting the jumps easier) and DO NOT let up on the gas. If you let up on the gas, you lose momentum, and I don't think you can beat the level. When I tried it on previous occasions, I was able to get to the 5th to the last goal before time ran out, when I did those two minor things, I was able to beat the level with 45 seconds to spare/

Trigger 12-24-02 05:01 PM

eh? I don't think we relied on any luck... none of the missions in this game took us more than 3 tries except the one where you hop in the van at the airport and have to fly that little fat mini-chopper through checkpoints - the last one we could never get to and our chopper kept blowing up... those bastards. GTA3 was way more challenging and the missions were more fun and creative... driving or flying through checkpoints is a stupid mission basis.

discostu1337 12-24-02 06:26 PM

Trigger, If u think GTA3 had more fun and harder missions, you are on crack. Vice City is 10 times harder and more diverse in its missions, at least in mine (and every single review on earths) opinion.

darkside 12-24-02 08:29 PM

No mission took more than three tries? Without cheats to I bet. ;)

I thought both games were pretty challenging. I don't know if I would say one was harder than the other, but the planes handled pretty bad in Vice City and that made those missions tougher than they should have been.

I will try to follow some of the advice and go try bombs away again.

Draven 12-24-02 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
... driving or flying through checkpoints is a stupid mission basis.
Ummm...GTA3 had several of these as well.

I never did beat GTA3. Lost interest after awhile. But Vice City has proved to be MUCH more challenging and more fun, and my interest hasn't lessened at all. To each his own, I guess.

einTier 12-25-02 03:13 AM

I had a much easier time with VC than GTA3, but I think that's because of all the time I racked up in GTA3 -- it made doing things in VC easier because it was all stuff I'd learned in the first game.

I wish I could give you some hints on bombs away, but I don't really remember it. I remember it being somewhat hard, but after playing it about three times I figured out a strategy and beat it in short order. I think I played kamakazi with the planes, but I'm not sure.

wedge 12-25-02 09:56 PM

I am at a total loss for how people find this mission hard at all. I heard ahead of time it was tough, but I beat it on my first try with my first plane, and it took less than 30 seconds once I got to the docks. Maybe I got lucky, but then I did it again on my friend's game because he was stuck on it.

Not trying to brag, I just found it one of the easiest missions I'd done in the game. And I'm not exactly an expert hardcore gamer, I really just play Vice City or a hockey game after work to unwind.

Anyway, what I do is fly over, and drop a couple of bombs towards the back side of the middle boat. That'll take out at least the middle boat and a lot of the guys on the dock, and both times I did this it took out two of the boats. The third boat tries to escape, I just got a little ahead of it and dropped another bomb, then went back, dropped a bomb on the car, and then picked off one straggler that was left on the docks.

Trigger 12-26-02 01:57 AM

guess I'm on crack then. Vice City was way easier and the missions weren't very challenging compared to GTA3... with a few exceptions in Vice City - there were some elaborate missions I admit, but we didn't have much trouble with any of them. We never used cheats in either game. In GTA3, there were TWO checkpoint race things, and TWO mountain climbing with the hummer. That's 4 total. Maybe if you finished the game you would've found that out. Vice City had dozens and dozens of these pointless missions and it got tiring. It's not just my opinion, everyone at our house felt that Vice City's missions seemed like more of an afterthought like it was a rush-job. Why do you think there's talk of an expansion pack for Vice City? My guess is that they rushed the game (evidenced by weak missions and a slew of bugs) and now they have time to pay more attention to the missions rather than making the map and the buildings and designing helicopters and motorcycles and boats.

Draven 12-26-02 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
guess I'm on crack then. Vice City was way easier and the missions weren't very challenging compared to GTA3... with a few exceptions in Vice City - there were some elaborate missions I admit, but we didn't have much trouble with any of them. We never used cheats in either game. In GTA3, there were TWO checkpoint race things, and TWO mountain climbing with the hummer. That's 4 total. Maybe if you finished the game you would've found that out. Vice City had dozens and dozens of these pointless missions and it got tiring. It's not just my opinion, everyone at our house felt that Vice City's missions seemed like more of an afterthought like it was a rush-job. Why do you think there's talk of an expansion pack for Vice City? My guess is that they rushed the game (evidenced by weak missions and a slew of bugs) and now they have time to pay more attention to the missions rather than making the map and the buildings and designing helicopters and motorcycles and boats.
Well, I got about 80% of GTA3 finished, and had no desire to finish it up. I found the missions pretty boring and repetitive, and that hasn't hapened with VC yet (just finished the Haitian Gang missions...can't remember the one I am on right now.)

And are you actually saying that Vice City has "dozens and dozens?" I don't want to assume hyperbole, so you mean there are at least 24 "checkpoint" missions? Haven't seen that many yet. Besides, I actually like those missions.

I've enjoyed Vice City a lot more, specifically because of the helicopters and motorcycles and boats and those additions beyond "a bunch of cars and a plane you aren't really supposed to fly."

einTier 12-26-02 03:43 PM

I'm enjoying Vice City more, because the extra vehicles add a whole lot to the game, but as a whole, I think GTA3 was the better game.

The missions were better, and were challenging in unique ways. I also felt like there was more of a plot line and character arc in the first game. I never felt like the missions I did in Vice City really "changed" things, or built toward something greater.

Trigger 12-26-02 04:47 PM

Originally posted by einTier
I'm enjoying Vice City more, because the extra vehicles add a whole lot to the game, but as a whole, I think GTA3 was the better game.

The missions were better, and were challenging in unique ways. I also felt like there was more of a plot line and character arc in the first game. I never felt like the missions I did in Vice City really "changed" things, or built toward something greater.

*nods*

timewaster 12-26-02 10:35 PM

OK, I finally finished this mission. If you bomb the back of the middle boat it will take out 2 boats and most of the men on the docks. There is an easy way to do this. Just land on the dock! since u dont take damage when u crash on land. Once u do that, it becomes easy to target the back of the middle boat with a kamakze with your 1st plane into the back of the middle boat.

After that u have 2 planes to take out the 1 remaining boat and the car running away.

darkside 12-26-02 11:12 PM

Originally posted by timewaster
OK, I finally finished this mission. If you bomb the back of the middle boat it will take out 2 boats and most of the men on the docks. There is an easy way to do this. Just land on the dock! since u dont take damage when u crash on land. Once u do that, it becomes easy to target the back of the middle boat with a kamakze with your 1st plane into the back of the middle boat.

After that u have 2 planes to take out the 1 remaining boat and the car running away.

Cool, I'll have to try that next time I play it.

victant 12-31-02 01:24 AM

Great info, everyone! I can see how this mission could be a big pain in the donkey....

:up:

einTier 12-31-02 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Draven

And are you actually saying that Vice City has "dozens and dozens?" I don't want to assume hyperbole, so you mean there are at least 24 "checkpoint" missions? Haven't seen that many yet. Besides, I actually like those missions.

By my quick count, GTA: VC has 22 unique "checkpoint" missions. I may have missed a few, and I did not count the Bloodring, Hotring, or Dirtring missions, all of which could be considered checkpoint style. I also didn't count any of the R3 missions as checkpoint based.

Using the same count, I find just six unique checkpoint missions in GTA3.

I don't like the checkpoint missions either, because there's no "real" objective to accomplish. It's just a race to see how well you know the city and how well you can handle the vehicles. A few are ok, but after about ten, I think I've demostrated that I am proficient at both tasks.