Search this Thread

Old 12-19-02, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xenosaga censored for US

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/380/380535p1.html
Old 12-19-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

not a huge deal, is it? at least, not for me. i don't think i would've found it offensive, but it doesn't seem like a critical change. heck, it's in english... that's a change.
Old 12-19-02, 11:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Not very specific. Has anybody played the game and can give more details on the Japanese version?
Old 12-19-02, 12:12 PM

Something...possibly sexual....involving a character that looks like a 12 year old girl. Not real specific, but it sounds like something tailor-made to bring forth the ire of Joe Lieberman.

More fuel for the fire.

Last edited by finbogg; 12-19-02 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-19-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

boo
Old 12-19-02, 03:15 PM

It's not sexual in anyway. Just preverted Americans with preverted mentality. The Japanese had no problems with this scene. If you see the actual footage, it's not as bad as it sounds as people are reporting it. The scene is a crazy villian named Albedo wanting an artifact inside MOMO's body. First he scares her and then uses his special powers to grab into her body searching for the artifact. He does this in front of the party cast you play. This situation really angers Chaos who likes MOMO and doesn't want to see her get hurt. It's dialogue heavy and an integral part of the plot. You can't simply remove this footage.
Old 12-19-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD Lamer
You can't simply remove this footage.
the article says it was altered, not removed.
Old 12-19-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

argh, i knew this was going to happen! People were talking about this after its japanese release last year saying it was going to be censored....and they were right. Its not that big of a deal for me either though, i also probably would not have seen it offensive, but it sounds like the alteration won't affect the story (it better not).

I didn't see it as that offensive, but it could be to some people, i probably would not show it to little kids or pro-censor people.

Its really amazing that they're still worried about censoring games, you can see much more graphic things just by turning on the TV or going to the movie theater. Lots of games get small edits that go undocumented.

This is my most anticipated game of February, i cannot wait!
Old 12-19-02, 05:42 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can't simply remove this footage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by young
the article says it was altered, not removed.
Reread. Then reread again. Hopefully you'll make the right connects with the right words next time. I will not spoon feed you on where you are wrong with that comment.
Old 12-19-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Minor issue. D2 was edited for a much more graphic rape scene and I had no problem with that either.

I'm just glad its coming to the US.
Old 12-19-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I'm just glad its coming to the US.
you can say that again! one of the reasons why i bought the ps2 in the first place.
Old 12-19-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This situation really angers Chaos who likes MOMO and doesn't want to see her get hurt.
I see the RPG writers still have awesome innovation!
Old 12-19-02, 09:02 PM

I'm perplexed that you're willing to spend $50 for censored and edited games.
Old 12-19-02, 09:27 PM
Retired

Sounds like a very minor change, nothing worth boycotting a game over.
Old 12-19-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just preverted Americans with preverted mentality. The Japanese had no problems with this scene.
The Japanese have no problem with Rapeman either.
Old 12-19-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reread. Then reread again. Hopefully you'll make the right connects with the right words next time. I will not spoon feed you on where you are wrong with that comment.
Sounds more like altered than removed to me. And I read it three whole times.
Xenosaga has had one scene modified as part of its American localization
blahblahblah
will be altered
Old 12-19-02, 11:33 PM

Reread my second post, IGN, and young's second post, especially my second post and young's second post.

Reread my second post, IGN, and young's second post, especially my second post and young's second post.

There is something wrong. A faulty connection is being made. Find it.

Do people have reading difficulties?

Last edited by DVD Lamer; 12-19-02 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-20-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 511 Likes on 353 Posts
Xenosaga Edited For US Release
One scene from the Japanese version will be altered.

December 17, 2002 - Monolith Soft's RPG Xenosaga has had one scene modified as part of its American localization, Namco Hometek representatives confirmed with IGN today. The game, which will be rated T with the "Blood and Gore" and "Violence" descriptors, will retain the considerable violence featured in its original Japanese version, but a suggestive scene involving a young female character will be altered.

The scene is relatively late in the game, involving Albedo and MOMO. It is not overtly sexual, but it is very violent and unsettling considering the age of the MOMO character (Realien or not, she looks like a 12-year-old girl). It's not clear exactly how much of the sequence will be removed, but it will at least be edited to omit the most potentially controversial images.

While IGN is generally opposed to the omission of game content as part of the localization process, we understand Namco's motivations in this regard. Look forward to further comments on the subject in later preview coverage, if it proves worthy of discussion.
Sorry DVD Lamer, it looks like you're the one who needs to work on reading comprehension (and perhaps manners?). The article seems to indicate that the specific images of the violation of MOMO might be removed, but not the entire cut scene.
Old 12-20-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is something wrong. A faulty connection is being made. Find it.

Do people have reading difficulties?

The article says A-L-T-E-R-E-D. Its not even just implying its altered it actually uses the word "altered". What are you reading?
Old 12-20-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish they would allow subtitles with Japanese Language for these games

From Gamespot Preview:
"As mentioned, the weak link in the audio package lies in the voice acting. The early parts of the game subject you to emoting along the lines of the most recent batch of Old Navy commercials."

Joy.
Old 12-20-02, 02:09 AM

I got the import. I'm good to go.

And for the boycotters over this because of a simple modification. Gimme a break.
Old 12-20-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If its important to the story it will be changed to look less perverted and not removed. Just because the Japanese have no problem with raping women and molesting young girls in Video Games doesn't mean it should be allowed in the US.
Old 12-20-02, 09:19 AM

Young misread my post and made a faulty conneciton. I given up hope on you guys too.
Old 12-20-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the whole world thinks youre wrong maybe its not a conspiracy. Maybe youre just wrong.
Old 12-20-02, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by darkside
If its important to the story it will be changed to look less perverted and not removed. Just because the Japanese have no problem with raping women and molesting young girls in Video Games doesn't mean it should be allowed in the US.
Neither are in the game. This is for a console system. SCEI, Sony Japan, does have limits. So your ignorant stereotyping is unfounded. There is no perversion. Just a distrubing scene to portray the true dementedness of Albedo. Changing the scene will only make him less of a villian.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.