Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

November Top Selling Videogames

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow that is quite a PR spin. They might have overdid it a little
anyways its always good to see some competition in the market.

I'm just hoping people will buy Panzer Dragoon
Old 12-20-02, 08:01 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by tomwaits
If this is accurate, is there any XBox title besides Halo that has hit 500,000 sales?
PGR and DOA3 have both had over a million sales.
Old 12-20-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy cow, after reading the MS press release its obvious the war is over and the Xbox has destroyed the competition.

Without a doubt MS is the king of spin. They all do it, but the Xbox press release was by far the best.
Old 12-21-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Santa's elves hustle to pack his sleigh in preparation for next week's delivery of holiday loot, it's clear that the Xbox™ video game system has topped the wish lists of video game enthusiasts worldwide.
Theres no way eight reindeer are gonna get off the ground with an XBox in the sleigh!
Old 12-21-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isn't this the same marketing firm working for the Iraqi government?
Old 12-21-02, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by joltaddict
Theres no way eight reindeer are gonna get off the ground with an XBox in the sleigh!
MS made sure Rudolph was added so I am pretty sure nine reindeer can lift it

although changing his nose color to green was a bit harsh to do even after a hostile take over of Santa's workshop
Old 12-21-02, 02:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Isn't this the same marketing firm working for the Iraqi government?
Are you thinking of the one that reported that PS2's are being used as super computers by the Iraqi government? God bless the Sony hype machine.
Old 12-21-02, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Oleg
Interesting, given the fact that the XBOX is actually more of a geek system than the other two due to the easy modification and availability of emulators, media players (DiVX, MP3, others), TCP clients and built-in ether port.

I'd think Xboxes would make pretty decent media centers for dorm rooms.
I agree, this is why I've considered picking up a used xbox on more then one occasion. (Nothing would give me more joy then running linux on that machine )

However I said "dork", not geek. Besides, most people, even the none tech savy use their PC's as media centers. So the guys singing the praise of the xbox are generally ignored by most PC and PS2 owners, just like us GC praisers. Thankfully we all have the games to do the talking.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 12-21-02 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-21-02, 04:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

How do you run Linux on a machine that has no keyboard or mouse? AND WHY?

So the guys singing the praise of the xbox are generally ignored by most PC and PS2 owners, just like us GC praisers. Thankfully we all have the games to do the talking.
I'm not sure I follow?
Old 12-21-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

GP: It's fairly easy to hook a keyboard and mouse up to an xbox. Just check around the xbox hack sites. I'm majoring in EET at school so it's real easy for me to follow, but even someone with no soldering experience could do it. I have a couple friends with completley hacked out xboxes and they do lots of neat things with them.

Why? Because the xbox is an incredible value at $200. You can not find a PC of equal power at that cost.

My comment you qouted was in regards to the fact that no matter how much we xbox and GC supporters think our systems are cool, most PS2 and PC owners (on my campus) don't really care to listen. They percieve the PS2 as the game system of choice by default and a PC as a media center by default. My point was that thankfully we have cool games to do the talking. I can't tell you how many people I know changed their mind about the GC after playing Melee and MP. I assume the same holds true for certain xbox titles.
Old 12-21-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith

Interesting enough, I think while MS aggressivness might help consumer awareness, I know on my college campus the xbox is starting to look like a real "dork" system to own. I'm not starting a flame war here, I'll be the first to say that the GC is considered the same in a lot of regards. However it's interesting to me that the xbox is getting this treatment for different reasons. From my understanding it is because of MS's own aggressiveness to be cool that is making the product's image suffer. In other words, MS's many advertisements and promotions (exspecially on college campuses) are making the system appear that it has to try real hard to be "cool". I don't know if MS advertising group gets that or not. Yes advetising will affect consumer opinion, but when it's non-stop consumer opinion can turn against you.
I agree. MS hasn't figured out how to be cool yet
Old 12-21-02, 03:52 PM
Retired

To be fair, neither has Nintendo. They can't get rid of the kiddy image, and the small "cute" look of the gamecube (especially the Indigo one) certainly didn't help change their image in the mainstream. Though I personally like it. The smaller the better, less room in my stuffed entertainment center.
Old 12-21-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its kind of hard to try and be cool. You either get excepted as cool or you don't.

I think GTA is the reason the PS2 is perceived as cool and has nothing to do with the marketing.

If that game had come out for the Xbox or the GameCube instead then they would probably be the "cool" consoles to get instead.

IMO the marketing of all three can be pretty nerdy much of the time.
Old 12-21-02, 04:53 PM
Retired

I agree 100%.

I was just pre-emting the X-box defenders before they could jump all over scandal again.
Old 12-21-02, 05:02 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I was just pre-emting the X-box defenders before they could jump all over scandal again.
Good thinking!
Old 12-21-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
To be fair, neither has Nintendo. They can't get rid of the kiddy image, and the small "cute" look of the gamecube (especially the Indigo one) certainly didn't help change their image in the mainstream. Though I personally like it. The smaller the better, less room in my stuffed entertainment center.

I disagree. Nintendo is absolutely beloved among the dorm room, frat house set for its party games. "kiddies" didn't buy 5 million copies of Goldeneye, and the audience for Smash Bros and Mario Kart skews older than you might imagine
Old 12-21-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ive always thought Smash Bros had more for us older gamers. Kids probally wouldnt know what 90% of those trophys are from.