Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

more rumors.... Nintendos MEGA announcement...

Old 12-15-02, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

more rumors.... Nintendos MEGA announcement...

Could it be? We have received a tip that come Tuesday we`ll all know Nintendos 'mega' announcement, and it is certainly mega.

There is a rumour that Nintendos big announcement will be revealed on this Tuesday and what will it be? Apparently, Nintendo want to take the Triforce collaborations further down the line, by actually buying out Namco and Sega. But Namco backed out, feeling too much creative control would be taken down to Kyoto so Nintendo opted to go for Capcom. The deal should either be done or almost completed, this would give Nintendo a larger creative base to fight Sony and Microsoft.

Now I must stress to you that this is just a rumour but on a personal note, I have a gut feeling that there is at least a little truth in this. Capcom have shown a lot of enthuasism for Gamecube recently, haven`t they though? Still, it`s a just a rumour, but we are checking this out. So if it turns out that it is true, just remember who told you first.

and

UPDATED Our source (who wishes to remain anonymous) has added that Capcom will become a first-party whereas Sega will merge with Nintendo, not bought as we originally reported. And Nintendo have stepped up security because of this leak so we won`t be able to get anymore information until the announcement on Tuesday.

suppose time will tell.... source GameCube Europe

Last edited by Shuki; 12-15-02 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-15-02, 05:43 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

hmmm, hope not, Sega can handle its own
Old 12-15-02, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Im grabing a pig so I can fly on down to hell to ice skate.
Old 12-15-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

must admit though..... entertaining if nothing else
Old 12-15-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sega better not merge with Nes. We need our 2k games on xbox :-)
Old 12-15-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I imagine that a lot of people wouldn't like this to be true ... lets just all wait until Tuesday to find out the real story (if it actually will be released Tuesday).
Old 12-15-02, 10:57 AM
Retired

I'm a big Nintendo fan and I hope it isn't true. As I've said repeatedly, I don't think console makers buying third party developers is a good for the industry. It reduces competition among third parties, as well as removing the incentive for the bought company to make great games inorder to get millions in exclusive agreements, and will likely mean less great games for us gamers in the long run.

As for whether this pans out or no, I say yes to Capcom and no to Sega.

Capcom had major financial problems this year, and I've seen this rumor on a few sites.

Sega is doing ok, and would appear too close to MS to merge with Nintendo, but we'll see.
Old 12-15-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Begin Mini-Rant:

Buying Sega to make it an exclusive to the Gamecube is rediculous. The reason sega should be bought is for its mass appeal across all platforms. Lets say for instance that Nintendo bought Sega and all the 2k3 games were GC exclusive. That move would not neccessarily bring over new gamers. I feel the majority would just switch to Madden instead. I hope this "Merging/Buying" (same thing) of Sega is just a farce.

Now Capcom on the other hand is a whole other story. Do I think that exclusive RE titles brought over new gamers to the console? Of course. The first RE remake was novelty. We'll see how RE: Zero does...and I'm sure it will do well. Now would I switch consoles for a Capcom fighting game? Certainly not. Would I switch consoles for a Survival Horror? Eh, I don't know..but I haven't bought a GC yet. Now if Nintendo bought Square then I would have to buy a GC because I've always enjoyed the Final Fantasy Series. All in all, I think people buy the GC for the Nintendo branded games. The games they grew up on like Mario and Zelda and Metroid.

End Mini-Rant.

Actually I think it would be funny if the major annoucement was that GC was $149 with 2 games. Or if it came with a game and the broadband adapter after the first of the year. Something simplistic like that.
Old 12-15-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

all I can say is that I hope this is not true.
Old 12-15-02, 12:39 PM

If this does indeed happen, imagine the possibilities of a game jointly created by Miyamoto, Yu Suzuki and Yuji Naka!

DW
Old 12-15-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope Nintendo doesnt buy Capcom. If they do PS2 owners are robbed of the Devil May Cry series, and most of the Capcom 2D fighters. And Capcom VS SNK 2 EO sucked on the GC, its in dire need of a third party controller.
Old 12-15-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope it's true. Nintendo , Sega, and Capcom teamed up? Dear lord! Imagine the crossover possibilities!

Imagine a Super Smash Bros game with the SEGA characters added in?

Imagine the Gamecube with a viable sports franchise...
Old 12-15-02, 12:45 PM

It won't matter much, because I heard from some guy in the back alley behind an EB that Microsoft is poised to buy both Nintendo and Sony on WEDNESDAY.

You heard it here first, folks.
Old 12-15-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DreamWeaver88
If this does indeed happen, imagine the possibilities of a game jointly created by Miyamoto, Yu Suzuki and Yuji Naka!

DW

dude...I dont think the gaming world is ready for such a thing.
Old 12-15-02, 01:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I heard that Nintendo is going to buy Mcdonald's. Now they can truely be a kid company.
Old 12-15-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Of course nothing is to be believed until it is officially announced. It would be cool to have Capcom under Nintendo, however, it will certainly piss off alot of people. Capcom isn't traditionally known as a company that puts games on the Nintendo's systems, however with Nintendo's recent change in direction, I'm all for it.
Old 12-15-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really not thrilled about this overall, but as a GameCube owner I can deal with it.

Question is what if after the merger (and taking on all of Sega's debt) they still don't do any better in console sales? Sega really didn't do much to help the Xbox. Making the 2k sports games exclusive to the Cube would just be silly. Though considering how poorly they have done overall I wouldn't be shocked if Sega just scrapped them all together.

I believe the Capcom part (or at least I can rationalize it), but I will believe the Sega part when I actually see it.

Last edited by darkside; 12-15-02 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-15-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Sega is already in the black.
Old 12-15-02, 02:55 PM

People got excited about sega co developing games when they went multiplatform. Nothing has happened yet, not even sonic in super smash bros.! The closest sega came to a big crossover was Vampire Night when they worked with Namco. Sega should be working on some big crossovers now, and not have to wait til they are bought. Nights with a dash of miyamoto please!!
Old 12-15-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i was gonna drop some f bombs, but ill just take it easy
lol
Old 12-15-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know... the part about Sega makes me think the whole thing is bogus. Sega recently announced that they were going to stop making sports titles for the Gamecube because of poor sales... merging with Nintendo makes no sense. The way Capcom has been dumping games on the GC, I might believe that. But then what about Steel Battallion 2?
Old 12-15-02, 03:29 PM

I doubt this rumor is true, but just speaking theoretically there are some real advantages for Nintendo if this did in fact happen.

1. It's no secret that Nintendo needs a better sports lineup. Bringing the Sega Sports series of games to the GameCube seems like a no-brainer.

2. Sega already has an extensive online network in place, most of it left over from the Dreamcast days. If Nintendo 'inherits' the network it could almost instantly put their online gaming capabilities right up there with PS2 Online and Xbox Live.

3. Sega and Capcom both are excellent game developers and have plenty of AAA titles to offer. Combine them with the previously mentioned online network for Sega's sports games and Capcom's fighting games...not to mention Nintendo's lineup (Mario Kart Online).

I seems like the merger would be a smart decision...for Nintendo. I can't imagine why Capcom and Sega would intentionally limit their sales to Nintendo's smaller user base, however...
Old 12-15-02, 04:48 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
It won't matter much, because I heard from some guy in the back alley behind an EB that Microsoft is poised to buy both Nintendo and Sony on WEDNESDAY.

You heard it here first, folks.

If Nintendo buys Sega there are going to be alot of pissed people. I hope this isn't true because I don't want to have to go back to EA for my sports games.

Watch it be a announcement for a new Mega Man game

Last edited by MrX; 12-15-02 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-15-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't mind the whole Nintendo buying Capcom...It just seems right, with all the RE games going to GC.
But with Nintendo buying Sega...now that is BS! It's never going to happen. Why would Sega limit their self like that? Sega is not in the red either.

It's ashamed that XBOX couldn't take on Capcom

Well there is also a rumor about a guy who knows a friend of a friend that works for Retro. And he said XBOX is going to buy them.
Old 12-15-02, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by White Knight

But with Nintendo buying Sega...now that is BS! It's never going to happen. Why would Sega limit their self like that? Sega is not in the red either.
If it does happen, you might see Sega making games on other systems. Probably under a new name , like Sega Games or something.

Nintendo isn't stupid, I'm sure they would love to be making some coin on all of the systems.

DW

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.