NFL 2k3 tips and tricks.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NFL 2k3 tips and tricks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NFL 2k3 tips and tricks.

I need some help i keep getting my butt kicked. I am so used to madden and 2k3 is a whole new ballgame. For all those old school 2k3 players. Help a brother out. Give me some tips.
Old 12-12-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i suck at the game too! (you did mean you suck, right?)

i need a short vacation so i can play a decent amount of time to practice.
Old 12-12-02, 05:40 PM

I am also used to madden, but here are a few things I have learned so far.

Try not to lob the pass. Make it as sharp as possible. Sometimes you need to lob it, usually on long over the shoulder catches.

Run the ball. If you pass every time the defense will play the pass.

Crowd one side of the field, either with receivers or receivers and a tight end. Then hit run back with a pass in the flats. This sometimes is a big gain if the defense is spread thin.

On defense try and put pressure on the QB.

Also on defense try and hit the receiver just as he is catching the ball, he will ususally drop it. Be careful of getting pass interferance called against you.

I just and try to think as this game as more realistic, not a 70 - 84 scoring blizzard like on madden. Think of game situations and what a pro team would really do in that situation. Good luck.

If anyone else has any hints let us know.
Old 12-12-02, 07:00 PM

I was just thinking of starting a thread like this, cause I am getting my ass kicked too.

One thing I found was this guide, for Xbox anyway

http://guides.ign.com/guides/480933/

It has helped me

Zach
Old 12-12-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally posted by zsun
I was just thinking of starting a thread like this, cause I am getting my ass kicked too.

One thing I found was this guide, for Xbox anyway

http://guides.ign.com/guides/480933/

It has helped me

Zach
thanks brother
Old 12-12-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by aa-dvd
I just and try to think as this game as more realistic, not a 70 - 84 scoring blizzard like on madden.

I dont mean to jump in the thread since i dont own NFL2K3 but I've never been a part of a game of madden with a score even close to that. If you have are you sure you should be giving out defensive advice?
Old 12-12-02, 10:33 PM

All that I am saying is that it is way easier to score in madden. I was sarcastic about that high score.

In madden your receivers catch the ball about 90% of the time, while in nfl it is a more realistic %.
Old 12-12-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All that I am saying is that it is way easier to score in madden. I was sarcastic about that high score.

In madden your receivers catch the ball about 90% of the time, while in nfl it is a more realistic %.

play me in madden and we'll see how often your receivers catch the ball
Old 12-13-02, 01:28 AM

here's some of my playing tips:

if your gonna run it up the middle, hold x as the back gets the ball, then as he breaks through, hold L1 and R1 to duck your head.

look for the holes. if theres nothing there, charge the x and duck your head. you'll get another yard or 2.

use the pump fake when you need an extra step or 2.

time the spin button, it works wonders in breaking tackles.

don't keep hitting the turbo button when your running. it doesn't allow your back to cut and get skinny.

read the defense. they give hints as to what they're gonna do. look at how the linemen move. look for weakness' in zone coverage, exploit the 1 on 1.

don't throw into double coverage, this game isn't madden.

read the offense. you can sometimes tell when its a run or pass depending on how the linemen are positioning themselves. the backs too.

time your diving tackles to knock the ball loose. get good at it. if you can't knock it loose, hit the triangle and hope you swat it.

I just found out that if you charge the x then hit x again when your on defense, it does a different tackle. I don't know how to use it yet. I think I read somewhere that if you hit L2 and R2 together, it does something too.

most of these might feel like common sense, but a lot of people online don't take advantage of them. an average of 5 or 6 yards per carry is good so don't be afraid to run up the middle.
Old 12-13-02, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TaTTooD
I dont mean to jump in the thread since i dont own NFL2K3 but I've never been a part of a game of madden with a score even close to that. If you have are you sure you should be giving out defensive advice?
When I play my brother-in-law in Madden the score is always something like 64-67. We always score in the 60's. We play 5 min quarters We play on the All Madden setting We have just found too many holes. We play with a variety of teams too. Phily, Atlanta, Washington, Tenn, Oakland, San Fran, Colts..it doesn't matter. We have about 1200 yards of total combined offense. Madden is our goof around game.
Old 12-13-02, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deadpool
When I play my brother-in-law in Madden the score is always something like 64-67. We always score in the 60's. We play 5 min quarters We play on the All Madden setting We have just found too many holes. We play with a variety of teams too. Phily, Atlanta, Washington, Tenn, Oakland, San Fran, Colts..it doesn't matter. We have about 1200 yards of total combined offense. Madden is our goof around game.

you must never punt and neither one of you know how to play defense then. the league i run we play 7 minute quarters and theres never been a score that high in probably over 100 games. all this madden bashing yet what game is set to make $245 million this year, and what game went on sale early for $30? madden is such a high seller cause everyone likes its non-sim style approach and arcade-like play

if youre madden you refer to is on ps2 online i'd be happy to play either of you...you wont see a score that high
Old 12-13-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TaTTooD
you must never punt and neither one of you know how to play defense then. the league i run we play 7 minute quarters and theres never been a score that high in probably over 100 games. all this madden bashing yet what game is set to make $245 million this year, and what game went on sale early for $30? madden is such a high seller cause everyone likes its non-sim style approach and arcade-like play

if youre madden you refer to is on ps2 online i'd be happy to play either of you...you wont see a score that high
We punt and play defense We don't have to punt often though. If he was into the online thing I would take you up on your offer. I have no problems being schooled or opening ones eyes up to the truth.

I'm sure Madden has it's fans. I used to be one of them. I was simply agreeing with a post earlier. I could care less about sales. EA could put out junk and people would buy it just because it's EA. Heck, I like what they've done with Live 2003 this year, I brought that over NBA2K3. It sounds like you're implying I'm a Sega Fanboy... that's simply not true. I just don't like Madden anymore. It's just my opinion, lighten up
Old 12-13-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deadpool
We punt and play defense We don't have to punt often though. If he was into the online thing I would take you up on your offer. I have no problems being schooled or opening ones eyes up to the truth.

I'm sure Madden has it's fans. I used to be one of them. I was simply agreeing with a post earlier. I could care less about sales. EA could put out junk and people would buy it just because it's EA. Heck, I like what they've done with Live 2003 this year, I brought that over NBA2K3. It sounds like you're implying I'm a Sega Fanboy... that's simply not true. I just don't like Madden anymore. It's just my opinion, lighten up

i'm not implying anyones a fanboy, but from my madden experience with 2003 and there's A LOT i think its safe to imply no one thats commented in this thread about how high the scores can get knows how to play defense.
Old 12-13-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
First of all, go to sega's website, and download the updated manual. It has everything the manual SHOULD'VE had, including a lot of advanced moves. For instance, turning on and then using advanced line moves really helps you out on defense.

Set up your audibles. Pick at least one pass play and one running play. You can change this up on the fly, which helps a lot. If they're stacking up the middle, and you're running up the middle, audible to a pass play.

Get used to the plays your team can run. Defense is a lot easier than offense, but you'll want to at least try every offensive play in your playbook, and see how they work. Some people just always go for the longest pass, but it doesn't always work that way.

Mix up your plays. The computer will adjust if you play the same defense over and over. And, like any football game, there are those plays where you can ALWAYS get yards on the AI, but then, that isn't very fun, is it? I know quarterbacks that can run really well (Vick, etc.) especially can be really cheesy.

For the passing game, use maximum passing. Throw to the outside if you're reciever is being covered inside, etc. Don't throw into double coverage. Simple, I know, but you'd be surprised at how many players like to throw to their "franchise" recievers without even looking how they're covered. It'll work for a while, but not for long.

This is really important. When you're running the ball (or recieving a kick) be really patient. Don't just press turbo and step right in, unless you're just going for a couple of yards (in which case, powering up turbo and hitting both L and R to lunge forward is the best way to get extra yards). Wait for the holes to open. Don't limit yourself to the path that you're supposed to take... if another hole opens up, go through there. I'm serious, this has to be the single best tip in having an effective running game.

Despite the parity in the real NFL, you'll have a real tough time beating good teams with bad teams. And the computer will almost always try to even the score at the end of the game. Which means that you should try to build a pretty big lead early, or the running back you've been holding to 10 yards in the first three quarters will start breaking 20 tackles on his way to the endzone.
Old 12-13-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
First of all, go to sega's website, and download the updated manual. It has everything the manual SHOULD'VE had, including a lot of advanced moves. For instance, turning on and then using advanced line moves really helps you out on defense
ok, i went to sega and looked for it.
here's the link:
http://www.sega.com/help/manuals/manuals.jhtml

made myself a little spiral bound manual!

--

ps what's w/ the game bashing? it's just a game.

the review on G4 said madden has songs/music and they announce the title.

Last edited by young; 12-13-02 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-13-02, 11:52 AM

TaTTood-

I am not a 2K3 fanboy, I have both games. When I play the computer on Madden I can basically score at will, and shut them down when I play defense. It of course is easier for a real persone to score on me. I think my last dynasty season I only had about 2 touchdowns scored on me the whole season, while averaged almost 100 points a game. Yes, it was set at the highest setting.

While I have only had 2K3 for about a month. It is much harder for me to score, and much harder to play defense. Maybe it is because the game is new to me, but the scores are usually more realistic ( in the 20's or less) than Madden. Also in madden the games were usually very lopsided, not so the case with 2K3.
As someone stated earlier, you can't just throw to your franchise receiver in 2K3, while it seems to me that in madden my good receivers will catch it even if triple teamed.

I have both games and enjoy both of them. These are just my opions on what I personally have experienced. Damn skippy just asked for some advice and I gave him what I had to offer. If you have more suggestions to post the go right ahead.
Old 12-13-02, 12:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Computer AI != Person AI
Old 12-16-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by young
ok, i went to sega and looked for it.
here's the link:
http://www.sega.com/help/manuals/manuals.jhtml

made myself a little spiral bound manual!

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-16-02, 08:33 AM

FYI

Circuit City Website did have NFL2K3 for $19.99 for XBOX. It just went back up to $29.99. Bestbuy.com has NFL2K3 for $19.99 for PS2 right now.
Old 12-16-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try not to lob the pass. Make it as sharp as possible. Sometimes you need to lob it, usually on long over the shoulder catches
How do you lob in the XBox version?

Jeremy
Old 12-16-02, 10:40 AM
Retired

I picked this up for the PS2 at Best Buy for $19.99 yesterday and haven't been fairing very well, even on rookie.

I blow out the crappy teams on exhibition, and then was struggling against Seattle in the first regular season game, up 10-7 when the friggin electric flickered and reset the game.

It's definitely a much tougher game against the CPU than Madden 2002 or NCAA 2003 by EA. The AI is just much smarter. The DBs play the ball and passing lanes better, and it's much tougher to run the ball IMO. I shudder at the thought of playing on the higher levels.
Old 12-16-02, 12:17 PM

To lob or pass over the shoulder just tap the reciever button. To zip it in hold down on the reciever betton.
Old 12-16-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm getting better. Thanks guys.
Old 12-16-02, 03:21 PM

can you xbox guys give me some tips on hitting the black and white button at the same time? every time I charge the A and hit the black and white, my guy does a stiff arm. I can't seem to get it right unless I have my fingers prepared. then that gives away my play.
Old 12-16-02, 11:03 PM
Retired

Played the first 2 games of my season, beat Seattle 14-7 and Pittsburgh 28-17 using Oakland. On rookie. That's just crazy, in every football game i played before I'd kill the computer on rookie, then move it up to pro and struggle for a while.

I found a "money" play to and it's an annoying one. In the pittsburgh play I scored all 4 of my touchdowns on the "hail mary" and the "chuck whatever" variation of the hail mary. All to Tim brown. I only ran the play 5 times, and missed the one time because I through the ball to soon.

I guess I'll have to get better at the game and hope moving up to pro eliminates the money play, because it's so hard to not use it because I can't stand to lose, but at the same time it's annoying to know you have a bail out play.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.