Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can you save playstation one games onto a ps2 memory card?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-13-02, 11:42 AM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

I just bought a playstation 2 and was wondering if I should keep come of my favorite playstation one games (Tekken 2 & 3 and Crash Team Racing). I've heard that you cannot save playstation 1 games onto a playstation 2 memory card. Is this true? If it is, what is the point in making the playstation 2 backward compatible. Thanks!
Old 12-13-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

correct, PSOne games can only be saved onto PSOne memory cards and PS2 games can be saved onto PS2 memory cards. Just use a PSOne memory card in your PS2 to save PSOne games.
Old 12-13-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Can you save playstation one games onto a ps2 memory card?

Originally posted by alegriaman
If it is, what is the point in making the playstation 2 backward compatible. Thanks!
Probably so you can still pay psx games on the ps2? You can still save your games, you just have to do it on a playstation memory card instead of a ps2 card.
Old 12-13-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually I believe PS1 games can be stored on a PS2 memory card, they simply can't be saved or loaded.
Old 12-13-02, 03:11 PM

I always wonder why Sony didn't use their Memory Stick for PS2 instead. Sony uses Memory Stick for all their products except PS2. Shouldn't they standardize the media storage?
Old 12-21-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad I found this thread. I've got a bunch of old PS1 games that I still play. So it's been verified that you can't save PS1 games onto a PS2 card? Otherwise I could just ditch the old PS1 cards..
Old 12-22-02, 02:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

First off, you kick ass for searching.

Keep the PS1 cards. If you want to save data from PS1 games, you WILL need them.
Old 12-22-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lurker1999
Glad I found this thread. I've got a bunch of old PS1 games that I still play. So it's been verified that you can't save PS1 games onto a PS2 card? Otherwise I could just ditch the old PS1 cards..
You can use the PS2 card to back up the info on the PSX cards - you just can't load directly off them (or on to them) wile playing a PSX game.
Old 12-22-02, 11:32 AM

Icculus is correct. You can copy about 8 memory cards worth of PS1 saves onto 1 PS2 memory card. But, you can't access them directly while playing a PS1 title.

I picked up an extra PS2 memory card just to make a backup of all my PS1 saved games. Then, I gave some of my PS1 memory cards to friends who now have PS2 but never had a PS1. I can still copy my old PS1 saves to/from one of my remaining PS1 memory cards, and my friends can now play PS1 titles without having to buy a memory card.
Old 12-22-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll probably consolidate all the data from my PS1 cards onto one PS2 card and keep just one old PS1 card in reserve.