Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I upgrade to Component video cable?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a 32 inch system for my games,it has component hookup, should I make the leap and are thier any deals? thanks.
Old 12-11-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It really depends on the price difference between sVid and Component. If there are like within 5 bucks of each other, yeah, go ahead and get component. If not, sVid should be fine.
It really just depends on how important the image quality is to you, but to be honest, I really don't think you'll be able to notice that much on a 32" Now RCA to component is a different story.
Old 12-11-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
On a scale of 1-100 with 1 being RCA and 100 being Component, S-Video is like 85.
Old 12-11-02, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get component video cables. PS2 and Xbox component cables are at most $19. There's absolutely no reason not to get them.

Gamecube on the other hand... $30. That's a bit more $$$. But you should still get it.

I mean, people spend $30-50 usually for ONE game. Spending $20-30 to make ALL your games look nicer seems like a small price to me.
Old 12-11-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have a HD set then definitely (so you can play games in progressive scan). If you have an analog set it's not as easy - if you already have S-video then you won't see a huge difference, if you only have RCA right now you should upgrade anyway so you might as well go for the component cables.
Old 12-11-02, 09:56 PM

Does anyone know what retail store would carry an s-video cable for the PS2? I'm hoping wal-mart does, as it's the only store local to me.

I only have one component input and I'm using it with my dvd player, and my receiver doesn't do component switching. Does anyone know of an inexpensive solution to component switching?
Old 12-11-02, 10:53 PM

I was running svid for my xbox on a 36 wega and "borrowed" (bought and returned) a set of components.....difference on a regular set was just not big enough to justify dropping more cash....definately agree with icculus, if you're playin on a non hdtv set and already have svid then the diff will be minimal. But if you have neither and have the choice between the two, then go for the component cables.
Old 12-11-02, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian_92gsr
Does anyone know what retail store would carry an s-video cable for the PS2? I'm hoping wal-mart does, as it's the only store local to me.

I only have one component input and I'm using it with my dvd player, and my receiver doesn't do component switching. Does anyone know of an inexpensive solution to component switching?
I've read some places that for component switching you can just use a basic RCA switch box. Instead of using the 1 vid and 2 audio, just use all three for video. I think this should work, but I've never really tried it.
Old 12-11-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Xanager
I've read some places that for component switching you can just use a basic RCA switch box. Instead of using the 1 vid and 2 audio, just use all three for video. I think this should work, but I've never really tried it.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now. It works fine for 480i or 480p but I've heard you can't switch high def material with it.

WalMart should have the ps2 component cables, if not then you can find them at Best Buy and Circuit City.
Old 12-12-02, 12:57 PM

I just have RCA now,so I will pick up component over the weekend and let you guys now how it worked out,thanks for the suggestions.