DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Dead To Rights. .Flawed But Still Great (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/256820-dead-rights-flawed-but-still-great.html)

MasterofDVD 12-11-02 02:19 AM

Dead To Rights. .Flawed But Still Great

When I played Max Payne the first time I hated every minute of it. Then when I first got my XBOX a buddy, who had Max Payne, tole me this game was way better. So thanks to a great deal I snagged Dead To Rights and I've been very impressed.

There are just a few things that cause me to take long breaks from this game.

1. The Camera - When you send Shadow out now and then the camera figures that a nice view of a wal would be far better than your dog bitting the heck out a bad guy.

2. What's The Point In The Save Option? - ARGH!! Why bother including a save feature if it doesn't start you back in the spot you save at? I've saved after a few tough spots and when I come back it starts me either at the start of the chapter or someplace I had a heck of a time getting thru. Plus I never feel like I'm a safe spot to save. As soon as you move a few feet in most levels the bad guys are on you like white on rice.

This game is far from perfect but these have to be my biggest problems so far with it. The "Matrix effect" is far better here than in Max Payne. The variety of gameplay is great and pretty varied....far more than I thought it would be.

I just got to Chapter 10 and I wanna go on but I've been playing most of the day. And I have to say the guy with the crossbow had to be the LONGEST BOSS BATTLE I'VE EVER FOUGHT! I mean it seriously took me about 15-20 minutes and 3/4 of that time was wearing down his armor.

keyed 12-11-02 09:23 AM

What did you hate about Max Payne?

kar10 12-11-02 10:11 AM

Yeah!

Originally posted by keyed
What did you hate about Max Payne?
Why?

I know he is weird looking but who wouldn't be after a nasty murder against his family?-wink-

Young Vito 12-11-02 10:45 AM

Re: Dead To Rights. .Flawed But Still Great

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
When I played Max Payne the first time I hated every minute of it.
wow...i honestly thought this was a hot game, one of the best games ive played IMO.

i know its your opinion.....but dead to rights is nowhere near close to max payne:whofart:....oh yeah...and that save feature made me turn the game off more than a couple of times..grrr:mad:.

MasterofDVD 12-11-02 11:01 AM

Max Payne was a good shooter but the variety of levels was crappy. And I'm not even gonna start on how much I hated that blood trail stuff. The first time I i encountered that odd concept I turned the game off and never went back to it.

Graphic wise Payne is far superior but after that I don't give it much credit at all in any other category.

Draven 12-11-02 11:20 AM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
Max Payne was a good shooter but the variety of levels was crappy. And I'm not even gonna start on how much I hated that blood trail stuff. The first time I i encountered that odd concept I turned the game off and never went back to it.

Graphic wise Payne is far superior but after that I don't give it much credit at all in any other category.

That was (I believe) two sections of the game. Annoying, yes, but easily beaten. The later levels got pretty intense

Dead to Rights is out for the GC, right? I might have to rent it. I've heard decent things about it.

spainlinx0 12-11-02 11:55 AM

The most frustrating thing about this game for me has to be the stupid mini games. Hi let me spend my time in the game trying to lift weights. Is this a prison simulator or a game? I found the game fun only during shooting levels. I thought the hand-to-hand fighting was ok, but not anything I would want to repeat.

ipkevin 12-11-02 12:20 PM

Blood trail stuff? What part was that?

Barth 12-11-02 12:37 PM

The blood trail stuff in Max Payne was in two different levels. It's where the room was all dark and all you could see were these trails in blood suspened in air, some led to dead ends so you would have to backtrack to find your way to the end of the level. The annoying thing was, I found it was pretty easy to fall off, in the PS2 version anyway. When you fell then you had to start completely over. Plus the crying baby in the background got old very quickly. Other then those levels I did enjoy Max Payne.

MasterofDVD 12-11-02 04:17 PM

The blood trail turned me off to the game and never bothered to level skip to see if it improved after that.

And as far as the mini games in DTR I thought they were a nice touch. It turned out that it was a fighting and shooting game that had way more to it once you started to play it.

I'm on Chapter 12 I think it is now and had to take another break. Need something calm like Animal Crossing to steady my nerves before I go back to DTR. :)

DVDGamer 12-11-02 08:15 PM

Its funny but it took me quite some time to decide on which version to to get for dead to rights, the PS2 or Xbox. My first impulse was of course the xbox version, cause it cranks up the graphics some more. But after reading comparisons between these versions, I finally chose PS2 as nearly everyone said xbox was real tough with only one difficulty setting, while PS2 (and Nintendo) has 3 difficulty settings. I finally got to play the game last weekend, and I truly liked the game, even the minigames. And now I find that I am not even using the easy/regular settings and am playing it at the most difficult settings, cause it seems more rewarding that way. You really need to strategize some more to find out how you're going to approach your enemies.
Anyways, enough said. this is my type of game, and am glad I'll have this as one of the games to look forward to during the Christmas break.

MasterofDVD 12-11-02 09:29 PM

The PS2 version has difficulty settings, huh?

I'd say that even if some parts of this game can be stressfull you would miss out on the fun if you played an easy setting.

Another thing I came about later on in the game that is bothering me is the fact that in one level all the walls around doorways are curved. And because of that you can't back up against them and peek around the corner.

DVDGamer 12-12-02 12:33 AM

yes, difficulty settings always works for me. I do not consider myself an expert gamer by any means. Will probably bring the level down if I find it real hard in the later levels. Actually, I've already been spending over twenty minutes in the early levels just to get through, so I can imagine what it would be like later. But as they say, the journey makes the travel special. And as much as I'm dying and struggling, the more I appreciate it when I survive. So yes, I also like being able to save anytime, even though it indeed puts me back at an earlier room or event. Because some games don't even let you save, or uses just end of level saves. Reviews also indicated that the game views/angle were improved for PS2 and gamecube, so its panned out and you can better see/fight your way through.