Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Famitsu reviews the new Zelda

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Famitsu reviews the new Zelda

They gave it a PERFECT 10/10/10... here is the story... one of only four games they have ever given a perfect 10....

STORY

Man, with the OOT and then this in February-March, I am very very excited....
Old 12-11-02, 02:33 AM

Yeah, Vagrant Story is awesome.
Old 12-11-02, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn.

I cannot wait for this one.
Old 12-11-02, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There must be some mistake.

Have you seen the graphics? They are Cel-shaded! There is no way this game could have got a ten. Cel-shading by it's very nature limits gameplay and makes games terrible.
Old 12-11-02, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
There must be some mistake.

Have you seen the graphics? They are Cel-shaded! There is no way this game could have got a ten. Cel-shading by it's very nature limits gameplay and makes games terrible.
Will the internet nerds be able to handle this revelation? What will they incessantly bitch about next? Gahh...worlds are colliding.
Old 12-11-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
They should've called the game Celda instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is good news. I hope I agree with them.

stoolie
Old 12-11-02, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
yeah it should not have gotten a perfect 10 because it doesn't include a multiplayer first person shooter/adventure

BTW what were the other games that made a perfect score?
Old 12-11-02, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW what were the other games that made a perfect score?
Click on the story.
Old 12-11-02, 07:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by ctyner
They should've called the game Celda instead!
LOL, d00d. You are so l33t.
Old 12-11-02, 08:23 AM

Well, seing how their other 3 games that got 10's werent very good IMO, I wont expect this to be the best game ever. I did still pre-order it though, to get the free N64 Zeldas, and to give the serries one more chance to be anywhere as good as the SNES one was.
Old 12-11-02, 09:25 AM

Also keep in mind that the cel shading and move away from photorealistic graphics is the kind of thing that will go over a LOT better in Japan than here, so I think when US reviewers get ahold of it, the impressions will be somehwat different.

I have no doubt that story, gameplay, etc... will be what it's supposed to be, which is amazing, but I'm going to have a tought time getting used to these graphics. I was skeptical about Prime being a FPS, but it's gameplay made up for it, so now Zelda has to prove the same.
Old 12-11-02, 10:04 AM

discostu1337, I'm glad I don't live in your world.
Old 12-11-02, 10:08 AM

I'm not a fan of Cel-shaded graphics, nor do I dislike them. However, after watching videos of zelda in motion the graphics look great IMO. The animation is unsurpassed to any game I've ever seen.

In a way the game is more "realistic" then any other game out there. It may not have photo-realism, but there is a great deal realism in motion, environment interactions, character emotions, etc. that I havn't seen elsewhere. Of course final judgement is pending until I play the title.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 12-11-02 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-11-02, 10:34 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nintendo puts out two of the best games of all time in a span of mere months? Time will tell...
Old 12-11-02, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll take a nice smooth, cel-shaded Gamecube Zelda over a grainy, low-res, pixellated N64 Zelda.
Old 12-11-02, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
I'll take a nice smooth, cel-shaded Gamecube Zelda over a grainy, low-res, pixellated N64 Zelda.
Well if you pre-order, you get both.
Old 12-11-02, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
For the free disc that comes with pre-ordering... is it Zelda TOOT and Zelda Majoras Mask? Or is it the DD version of Zelda?
Old 12-11-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
For the free disc that comes with pre-ordering... is it Zelda TOOT and Zelda Majoras Mask? Or is it the DD version of Zelda?
The details are still being worked out, but so far we assume it's Ocarina Of Time and that other one which was a Japan exclusive..... Zelda Urda or something like that. I'm also assuming they are both straight ports.
Old 12-11-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by darqleo
The details are still being worked out, but so far we assume it's Ocarina Of Time and that other one which was a Japan exclusive..... Zelda Urda or something like that. I'm also assuming they are both straight ports.
apparently the disks that shipped in Japan had reworked levels and higher resolution. i'm not sure there are any details on the US versions though, other than we will get something with our pre-order.
Old 12-11-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Where do we preorder from? Just places like EB, or from somewhere like Bestbuy?
Old 12-11-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ign is running the story too:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/380/380007p1.html

my favorite quote from the article is this:

The reviewers commented that even though the game doesn't duplicate the "shock" and newness players felt when first entering the Zelda universe in the third dimension (Ocarina of Time), that the world is so perfectly realized and animated that it's impossible to put the game down

can't wait....
Old 12-11-02, 06:35 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, can't wait.

I never played Vagrant Story, but OOT and Soul Calibur are two of my all time favorites, so if the new Zelda is in the same league as indicated by the score, I'm sure I'll love it.
Old 12-11-02, 07:06 PM
zig

Translation of review summaries:

Grade: 10

"A level of astoundment that exceeds even that exhibited by the previous "Ocarina". Despite being a completely new and ground-breaking work, it's amazing how this title managed to retain everything that defines 'Zelda' to begin with. If you're looking for a new plane of visual expression in games, one different from both photorealistic and anime styles, it can be found right here. Also features a unprecedented depth of story and adventure within the series that takes place across an ocean. To sum up: this title is 100% zelda, and is an absolutely must-play title."

"Utilizing tone rendering as a catalyst of visual expression of sorts and combining it with the highest quality gameplay, game environments and production values, a a miraculous chemical reaction is created with this incredible title. It makes you realize once again that video games truly are the most superior form of entertainment out there. Whatever you do in within the game, it doesn't fail to entertain you in some way. Trust me when I say you won't fail to fall in the love with the world presented within this title."

"Any pangs of anxiety you might have in regards to the anime-like presentation of this game will vanish once you play this title, which will leave no doubts in your mind that this is truly Zelda. The emotions of the various characters come across with an unbelievable level of realism due through eye-based movements/expressions, and there are times when you'll find yourself extremely affected and even on the verge of tears. With a perfect level of difficulty in regards to both the puzzles and battles, this title rewards you immensely for playing it!"

"Whether it be the in-game events, puzzles, or presentation, you'll find yourself experiencing a range of human emotions from puzzlement to amazement. Everytime you pick up this title to proceed onwards in your quest, you'll discover an increased level of excitement. I swear to god I felt like a excited child picking up a videogame for the first time when I played this title. The new setup that allows even those who have never experienced the series to immediately feel right at home gets a huge thumbs up from me."
Old 12-11-02, 07:27 PM

lol, engrish ahoy!

But, its sounding awesome! I have played SC, OoT, and VS and they are all excellent games, so i'm sure i'll have a blast with this one.

Dorimaga gave Zelda: KnT a 9.5/10. Looks like another solid title. I cannot wait!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.