DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   GameCube Component Video Cables (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/256526-gamecube-component-video-cables.html)

jabbas 12-09-02 09:38 PM

GameCube Component Video Cables

I'm interested in getting GameCube component video cables, but the only vendor I can find selling them is Nintendo for $29.95.

Both PS2 and XBox have tons of 3rd party cables available for cheap many places, but I'm not finding component cables for GameCube.

I know a company caleld Pelican made some, and they sold for $19.95, but on Pelican's web site they list the specs for the cable, but no merchants are lisited in the 'Where to Buy" section.

Anyone have any help on this one? I want my GameCube in 480p, but I'm not paying $30+ for it.

madmike 12-09-02 09:48 PM

As far as I know, Nintendo is the only place to get the cables. They are a bit pricey, but believe me it is worth the cost. My Cube games look absolutely spectacular, and I can't stand to play with the standard cables any more.

jeffdsmith 12-09-02 09:50 PM

You may be out of luck I have no logical idea why a 3rd party does not make these availabl. There appears to be quite a demand.

I wish you the best; nevertheless, If I had a TV that could support PS I would be willing to pay 30 bucks. :)

jabbas 12-09-02 09:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback, people.

I've never used an S-Video cable, and I know it won't be as good as a component 480p picture, but I can get a Gamecube S-video cable for $5.00. Does anyone out there with experience in comparing S-Video to Component Video have anything to share on this thought?

Seeing how I just bought a Gamecube and Metroid Prime using all these discounts, rebates, etc... for $84.00, I'm having trouble spending almost half that on cables.

Michael Corvin 12-09-02 10:43 PM

I have had my GC hooked up ala s-video since launch, looks beautiful. A friend of mine bought the component over and I hooked them up for some Metroid.... aaaahh. They immediately went on my christmas wish list. If I don't get them, I am ordering on the 26th. Absolutely stunning picture. I didn't want to spend the $30 either(hence christmas) but once you see it you won't want to go back.

Cardiff Giant11 12-09-02 11:05 PM

any idea if the component cables make much of a difference for those of us who have component inputs but regular SDTVs? My Samsung Dynaflat has component inputs but it's not PS.Is it an improvment over S-Video?

dgc 12-10-02 12:00 AM

I've read somewhere that Component video is 5% better than S-video and S-video is about 60% better than Composite video. Depending upon your display, YMMV.

superboyreturns 12-10-02 04:10 AM

The component video is only slightly better than S-video if you dont' have progressive scan.

superboyreturns 12-10-02 04:11 AM

i have a sony WEGA btw.

Cardiff Giant11 12-10-02 09:10 AM

Cool thanks for the info superboy. I'll just stick with my S-Video cable.

Michael Corvin 12-10-02 01:22 PM

5% better than svideo is an awful low percentage. I could tell right away the difference. Of course you have to have the equipment to take advantage of the progressive scan, but I would put it higher like 15-20% better.

Cardiff Giant11 12-10-02 03:47 PM

Michael, that's what I'm wondering. if I have an interlaced set with component inputs, is switching to component going to be noticeably better even though I cannot use progressive scan? It seems everyone agrees games look awesome in prog. scan but few people can comment on how they look in regular mode on an SDTV with a regular component connection.

Sherbz 12-10-02 05:05 PM

I've used both component and s-video cables on my interlaced set and have personally noticed no difference, though YMMV.

Sloth911 12-10-02 05:23 PM

try looking on ebay for cheap game cube cables

sdcrym 12-10-02 06:45 PM

Originally posted by jasonr114
try looking on ebay for cheap game cube cables
Yeah, I got my S-video cable on ebay for under $5 shipped. It makes a big difference over composite for my non-progressive TV. I can't really justify $30 for something that may be better, but only slightly.

Michael Corvin 12-10-02 10:37 PM

I'm thinking(no expert) that if your set is not prog. scan than the improvement is probably minimal and not worth the $30. Here is the breakdown:

RCA: All Color and B&W transmit through yellow jack
S-Video: Color and B&W are seperated
Component: Complete seperation, Red, Blue & green make up the image for a crytstal clear image

It is kinda like printers, older printers you had a black and a color, nowadays you have a black, and a color that is seperated into Cyan, magenta and yellow, producing the best quality image for photos prints. Same thing with TVs.

I was viewing on my new Sony 57" HDTV. One of the newest models. Samus has never looked more beautiful. I hope Santa brings me Nintendo component this year. ;)