DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Gameboy Advance--ONLY use Alkaline batteries NOT NiCd or NiMH!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/256275-gameboy-advance-only-use-alkaline-batteries-not-nicd-nimh.html)

Save Ferris 12-08-02 08:58 PM

Gameboy Advance--ONLY use Alkaline batteries NOT NiCd or NiMH!!

I just got my Gameboy Advance and it says in the instructions NOT to use NiCd or NiMh batteries ONLY Alkaline. Why?

DreamWeaver88 12-08-02 08:59 PM

Not sure. I use Nexcell NiMH batteries in mine. They last a long time and recharge fast.

DW

Sloth911 12-08-02 09:44 PM

i dont know anything about the gameboy, will the gameboy recharge the batteries if you plug it into the wall? my disc man does.

but i am assuming they dont want you to plug into the wall, and have rechargeable batteries in it at the same time.

as long as you dont plug it in w/ the rechargeable in it, i think you will be fine.

some electronic devices will cause the batteries to heat up and explode!

Michael Corvin 12-08-02 09:56 PM

No problems here. Used NiMh since the GBA was released.

Save Ferris 12-08-02 10:01 PM

It just bugs me why would the instructions emphasize this so much? Its written in bold type at least twice.

Sloth911 12-08-02 10:05 PM

some electronic devices will cause the batteries to heat up and explode!

might not be a leathel weapon type explosion, but the batteries could heat up, i almost certain that is why they tell you not to.

mljones99 12-08-02 10:05 PM

Probably just covering their ass in case they explode.

mr.snowmizer 12-08-02 11:08 PM

It's America. They'll include warnings about anything they can think of that's the least bit out of the ordinary in this lawsuit-happy country.

Unfortunately, few people even know NiMH technology exists. Except for flashlights and smoke detectors, I can't think of any device that shouldn't run on NiMH rechargeables.

The battery companies have come out with a superior product that would cut their own throats, profit-wise, but in the big scheme of things, nobody takes advantage of this.

By the way, Nintendo's own rechargeable kit for GBA (in Japan; not sure about here) was NiMH-based. That tells you all you need to know about how strongly to avoid using them.

cubanx 12-09-02 12:13 AM

Funny becuase I bought these MonsterCell 1800 NiMH batteies that was plastered with "For Use" GBA labels all over the packaging.

fujishig 12-09-02 10:23 AM

There are a few theories for this:

The first assumes that Nintendo is just trying to be helpful. Because people usually just slap batteries in, the two rechargeable batteries might be at different levels, which could cause some problems.

The second theory is that Nintendo is just trying to get people to buy their product. Although they haven't yet released it here (oddly), they do have a rechargeable battery pack that they license in Japan, which pretty much consists of two rechargeable batteries in one pack (similar to the pelican ones). This is why the pelican batteries slip right into the battery case... there's a notch for it and everything. But they don't want you to spend money on 3rd party products, I guess...

All the battery packs for GBA are just two rechargeable batteries bundled together. The main benefit is that because they're bound together, they'll always charge together... but you can't use them in anything else.

The bottom line is, I haven't heard anybody complain about rechargables not working in the GBA...

Sloth911 12-09-02 10:39 AM

umm, no really, i wasnt kidding, if the gameboy isnt designed to reacharge rechargeable batteries when you plug it into the wall, you could have serious problems with the batteries heating up, possibly exploding.

the gameboy should work fine with the rechargeable batteries (as noted by others), just DONOT plug it into the wall w/ the rechargeable batteries in it, IF it does not have the ability to charge them.

there is also variety of different AA batteries with different mVa ratings for use in various digital cameras etc. so they are trying to keep you from damaging the gameboy.

this is not a conspiracy to force you to use gameboy battery packs.

it is, however, as stated by Snowmizer above, Nintendo's effort to protect themselves from being sued.

GatorDeb 12-09-02 11:01 AM

I use nimh exclusively.

khai 12-09-02 01:13 PM

Originally posted by jasonr114
umm, no really, i wasnt kidding, if the gameboy isnt designed to reacharge rechargeable batteries when you plug it into the wall, you could have serious problems with the batteries heating up, possibly exploding.

the gameboy should work fine with the rechargeable batteries (as noted by others), just DONOT plug it into the wall w/ the rechargeable batteries in it, IF it does not have the ability to charge them.

Well, it's not possible to do this since there is no ac/dc in for the GBA.

jeffdsmith 12-09-02 01:27 PM

The only reason it is in there is because if you have two rechargables at different levels the operation of the GBA is hindered.

MrBlue 12-13-02 06:13 PM

What's the mv rating of the NiMH batteries everyone here is using? I see some for 1600 and some for 1800? Is there a best one? Thanks in advance!