Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Box playing Dolby 5.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-02, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Box playing Dolby 5.1

What do you need to hook your X-box up to your stereo and play games in 5.1 surround?
Old 12-07-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
a reciever and 5 speakers.
Old 12-07-02, 12:49 AM

I think he means the advance av pack if you have a digital optical cable and svideo, or the super advanced for the component cable.
Old 12-07-02, 12:50 AM

You need 5 speakers and a Subwoofer, obviously (big help lupin), and a receiver to connect them to that has an available optical out.

Then, you need to buy the Hi-Definition AV Pack accessory for the Xbox, and a digital optical cable. AV p[ack costs $20, and don't waste big bucks on a digital optical cable, especially not a scam like a $40 Monster Cable). Perfectly good digital optical cables can be had on ebay for under 10 bucks, (look at ebay seller ID accessory-king.com, I have 3 from him)

Then, plug the AV pack into your Xbox, and plug the optical cable into your AV pack and the other end of the cable into your receiver.

Assign your receiver digital input, configure your Xbox for 5.1 at the audio menu, and enjoy.
Old 12-07-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally posted by jabbas
You need 5 speakers and a Subwoofer, obviously (big help lupin), and a receiver to connect them to that has an available optical out.

I'm here to help.
Old 12-07-02, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by jabbas

Then, you need to buy the Hi-Definition AV Pack accessory for the Xbox, and a digital optical cable. AV p[ack costs $20, and don't waste big bucks on a digital optical cable, especially not a scam like a $40 Monster Cable). Perfectly good digital optical cables can be had on ebay for under 10 bucks, (look at ebay seller ID accessory-king.com, I have 3 from him)

Then, plug the AV pack into your Xbox, and plug the optical cable into your AV pack and the other end of the cable into your receiver.

Assign your receiver digital input, configure your Xbox for 5.1 at the audio menu, and enjoy.
eggxactly. Oh and don't forget to add HALO. Sniping goodness on 5.1
Old 12-07-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get the Advanced AV pack instead of the Hi-Definition one (unless you have a component-ready TV, then go Hi-Def) as it also has a digital input for sound.
Old 12-07-02, 02:55 PM

AgtFox,

The Hi-Definition one is cheaper than the Advanced one. Should I get the Hi-Def?
Old 12-07-02, 09:00 PM

How are you connecting your XBox to your TV?

If it's an HDTV, you need the Hi-Def pack. If you're going to use S-Video, get the advanced pack. If you're using plain old composite connectors, then it doesn't matter, because you're only in it for the sound, not the picture, so go with whichever's cheapest.
Old 12-08-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if you need s-video (or component video) and optical connections, i would buy the MadCatz AV pack

for $29.99 at ElecBot you get:

1. opitcal cable
2. s-video cable
3. componet vidoe cables
4. standard av cables

IF you buy the MS AV pack, you have to buy your OWN opitcal cable, which is another $15-$25!
Old 12-08-02, 08:17 AM

Thanks Jasonr114.
Old 12-08-02, 09:01 AM

Yours is still a better deal, but you should never pay that much for a digital optical cable!

I get them off e-bay for $6.00 shipped, and have 3 that all work as good as any $40 monster optical cable.
Old 12-08-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

jabbas -- agreed, i picked up a 20ft s-video cable (pc to tv) for $9!!
Old 12-09-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RDGAFFORD
AgtFox,

The Hi-Definition one is cheaper than the Advanced one. Should I get the Hi-Def?
If Hi-Def is cheaper, you should go with that then. When I bought mine Advanced was the cheaper one...heh.