Reload this Page >

Unreal Tournament 8/10 OXM review Framerate question

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-04-02, 09:29 AM
J_J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read the Jan issue of OXM and Unreal Tournament got an 8/10!

Who here owns or rented a copy so far as I wanted to know about the issue of framerate? The review spends most of the page stating how bad the game slows down and target jump across the screen.

Does it really drop and become slow or is the reviewer slightly bias.

I was going to rent before I buy, this game was really hyped and advertised on TV as fast and furious and originally on my must have list.

What are your opinions on this one?

Thanks.

JJ
Old 12-04-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
You may occasionally notice a little lag -- resulting in a tiny frame rate drop on Live, but I've never noticed a problem on the single player yet. Definitely hyper-kinetic non-stop action. If you liked Unreal Tournament at all on the PC, UC is the bomb.

Tuan Jim
Old 12-04-02, 02:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

I played it yesterday and I'm not liking it... I better put more than just that: I was a huge fan of online Quake 2, I loved the weapons minus the BFG which ruined online play. I never played or got into QIII. Q2 felt a lot slower than this.
Old 12-04-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the weapons or online play in this game, but I also never really played it for the PC so if you liked that version I would assume you would like this one as well.
I thought one weird thing was that if you play with a guest you might get split onto separate teams which didn't make a big difference in the play, but I just thought that was a weird way of doing things. I understand to keep the teams even, but maybe switch someone else.
It seemed to run pretty fast, but I never was in a game with 16 people, and honestly I don't think it would ever work.
Oh the levels seemed bland to me. It just felt too much like repeating textures. Again I'm not a PC FPS person so take my opinions with a grain of salt. The 2 FPS's that got the most playing time from me and my friend were Goldeneye and now Halo so if those weren't your style perhaps this is.
Old 12-04-02, 03:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

OK I just played a really nice game of this online, it was one where everyone had the same gun, kinda a red lazer railgun and one shot was a kill... LOVED IT! Totally beats the everyone has 30 weapons to choose from crap. I played more levels, and some of them are spectacular. I'm changing my mind quickly on this one.
Old 12-04-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
OK I just played a really nice game of this online, it was one where everyone had the same gun, kinda a red lazer railgun and one shot was a kill... LOVED IT! Totally beats the everyone has 30 weapons to choose from crap. I played more levels, and some of them are spectacular. I'm changing my mind quickly on this one.
which gun is that? The only gun I know of with a red laser is the T.A.G. gun but that's only in certain levels and only acts as a pointer for the ION cannon.

The only one shot weapon I can really think of is the Lightning rifle -- sniper equivalent and thats a yellow gun with a blue shot. However the Shock Rifle -- blue energy balls and blasts does have a little red target laser that shows up on the top of the barrel, but isn't used for anything. Is that what it was?

Incidentally -- for a cool trick with the Shock rifle -- saw this in the tutorial -- use secondary fire to fire the large ball, then immediately follow up with the primary fire. The bolt will detonate the energy ball and cause a much larger explosion. Pretty cool.

btw, what's everyone's favorite team? I'm pretty much stuck on mercs right now. It also seems to work better in single player at least to have a team made up of the same race/species as yourself.

Tuan Jim
Old 12-04-02, 06:02 PM

I think he's talking about a modified game. they use the gun that shoots a big ball with the alt fire and turn it into a 1 shot kill type game.

I've been playing a bunch of this game on live. its really fun. if your worried about framerates, then your not gonna like it. it drops below 30 whenever theres more than 3 or 4 enemies on the screen. in fact, I'd say it goes down to 5 fps. maybe less. theres also occasional bits of lag. when lag hits you, its not like halo where no one can move or people are standing still. its the type where people teleport all over. you might be wondering how people are able to kill people with the low frame rates and lag...well the game has auto aim!!!
Old 12-04-02, 06:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

5fps? Haven't seen that at all.
Old 12-05-02, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my $30 copy from fye.com, but it's put back for Christmas.

Does anyone know if the amount of lag depends on the host's connection or if it's really taxing on the individual clients' connections? This one might push my ISDN connection to the point of being bad. I especially don't want to affect anyone else's gameplay.

Anyone have 128k up and UC?
Old 12-05-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Cowboy, that's just the shock rifle. The left trigger shoots a ball that is real slow but when the ball is shot with the right trigger it creates a big blast with a decent radius. That's what people are calling shock combos.

What Gallant is talking about is a mutator called Insta-gib. In this version everyone has only that gun which is a modified shock rifle that shoots a red laser instead of the typical purple stream. It has infinite ammo. When playing this game make sure you choose a character that's fastest and can jump highest.

Last edited by rabbit77; 12-05-02 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Gromit
I got my $30 copy from fye.com, but it's put back for Christmas.

Does anyone know if the amount of lag depends on the host's connection or if it's really taxing on the individual clients' connections? This one might push my ISDN connection to the point of being bad. I especially don't want to affect anyone else's gameplay.

Anyone have 128k up and UC?
If you're hosting, the system checks what the max amount of clients your connection can handle. Then when clients find your server it checks the ping and rates it from 1-4 (I've heard 5) stars. 1 being poor, 4 being excellent.

I have a 128k upstream (768 down) and can handle hosting only 4 players without lag. So I don't bother hosting, I just join the dedicated servers (XSERVER104, XSERVER107 etc)

I have noticed that when one person lags, everybody lags. Most people bail as soon as it lags and it immediately gets better.
Old 12-05-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't plan to host at all, so that's not a problem.

I don't have a problem in any other game, but I certainly don't want to be the cause of other people lagging (128k up and down).

If it's just ping that's an issue, then I'm fine. Actually, I bet that's all that really matters. That's the case with every other game so far which is why I've had good luck with my connection.
Old 12-05-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've noticed it do a chug-a-lug a few times during multiplayer (not LIVE). It's just for a few seconds and then it's back to normal. Should've been fixed before it shipped, but it's not so bad that I'd sell the game or give it a bad score.