Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets any good (for GC, PS2, or GBA?)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-02-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Hey all,
My wife just got me a Gamecube for Christmas (I guess that Smashbrothers pack in deal at Target is good until they sell out, and the local Target still had a lot of them on Sunday). So to return the favor, and in a desperate attempt to get her to at least try a game out, I'm want to buy a game for her.

I'm already set on getting Animal Crossing, which I think she'll like. But how is the latest wave of Harry Potter games? I've heard bad things about the GBA one, but the other versions seem pretty good. Any first hand impressions? She's a huge fan of both the books and movies.
Old 12-02-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*bump* because I want to know as well (also please compare the PC version, too, because I own that and a GC & PS2)

also O.T. but,...

I'm already set on getting Animal Crossing, which I think she'll like.

I have a "couple" friend who play Animal Crossing religiously. They both have virtual houses next to each other and write each other notes, etc. This seems to be the perfect game to play with a significant other. My g/f is more into spooky/non-violent games like Eternal Darkness, though.
Old 12-02-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played a little of the PC version, and it is a pretty good action game. Seems a little on the easy side for younger players, but good graphics, polished presentation and solid gameplay. It's also getting pretty solid reviews pretty much everywhere.

Jeremy
Old 12-02-02, 03:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My wife's two favorite games on the 'Cube are the aforementioned Animal Crossing and also Mario Party 4.
Old 12-02-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't played it but my brother has it for GCN, he likes it. It's got a Zelda feel but he said it's fairly easy but addicting. From his description I'd say it's kind of like Star Fox Adventures. Good story (follows the book), great graphics, good control, puzzles are a bit easy for him (he's 32). He thought it was worth his money and since he's a teacher and his wife doesn't work that should tell you something.

I'll be swapping Harry Potter for Star Fox at Christmas, then I can give you a first had report.
Old 12-02-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was trying to think of which game Harry Potter reminded me of, and I got it - Hype: The Time Quest. It's made for about the same age group, just with good use of the HP licence.

Thanks Homer for jarring my memory.

Jeremy
Old 12-02-02, 10:26 PM

I've been playing this with my daughter the last few nights. It's good eye-candy and pretty addictive, but most of the "tasks" are pretty simplistic. At least to the point that I've made it. I just got my PS2 on Saturday, and haven't gotten a memory card yet, so I have to start from the beginning every time I shut it off. It makes it a little more difficult to progress through the game.

Jeff
Old 12-02-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played it on a demo system at Best Buy a few days ago and I was actually pretty impressed. I've actually been considering picking up a copy once I get some extra cash.
Old 12-03-02, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My brother rented it and beat it in about 6 hours, and he's not a great VG player, just average. He said there was more he could unlock, but that it was pointless and took it back to Blockbuster to get something else.