Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on Phantasy Star Collection for GBA?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-02-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I am loving it. The original is still my favorite just because it was the first RPG I ever played and I was in heaven. I am thankful I have maps, etc. that I have kept for II coming up.

So far, I don't have a single complaint. I did forget how much building up the character takes in the first one, but that is okay.

I don't like to assign number to games, but this is definately one of the best GBA games I have purchased. Hopefully Shining Force will have a GBA collection as well.
Old 12-02-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
I don't have it yet, but I plan on getting it...

The screenshot I did see of Phantasy Star 2, however, looked a lot worse than I remembered the original looking. Is it just me, or did they have to cut some corners because they released all three on one cart?

I'm amazed that they put out a collection like this. PS 2 is definitely a classic, and PS 3, for all the disappointment surrounding it, was still one of my favorite RPGs, with the different descendents. PS 1 had me mapping stuff on graph paper for hours because of those huge dungeons... Really makes me miss that great strategy guide that they included with PS2. Sure you can find all that stuff online now, but I loved that little booklet.

Actually, I'm not that amazed that they could technically fit everything on one cart as I am amazed that they didn't try to milk the series by putting them on different carts. Like Super Mario Bros., or Breath of Fire...
Old 12-02-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get it if I have a GBA.... Phantasy Star 1 is worth it IMO.
Old 12-02-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
I don't have it yet, but I plan on getting it...

The screenshot I did see of Phantasy Star 2, however, looked a lot worse than I remembered the original looking. Is it just me, or did they have to cut some corners because they released all three on one cart?
Space wouldn't be a problem.. Most GBA carts are much bigger than the size of all 3 phantasy star carts combined.

Chris
Old 12-02-02, 03:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I got this, but I can't figure out how to hook the broadband adapter to my GBA.
Old 12-02-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't seen it yet.
Old 12-02-02, 04:55 PM

This collection rules! The only thing keeping it from pure perfection is the lack of PSIV which is probably one of the best in the series. Makes me remember how much fun I had with these games.

I wish they had just dumped PSIII and put in PSIV instead.
III wasn't even originally a Phantasy Star game, it was another title where they just slapped on the Phantasy Star name and added in a few specifics to keep it in tune with the rest of the series. It really doesn't fit in with the universe as a whole though.
Old 12-02-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked PSIII (the only 1 i actually completed) but I agree that without IV it's a bit fishy.. Hopefully they will at least bring it out as a standalone title.

Chris
Old 12-03-02, 07:03 AM

if they included IV it probably wouldn't have fit. It was a rather large game, as i recall...and it cost $100 when it came out!
Old 12-03-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, IV came out right at the end of the days of the Genesis, and was ridiculously priced. Even though I wanted the game really badly, I couldn't justify paying that much, and to this day I regret not having been able to play it (along with Shining Force 2). I would definitely buy a standalone GBA game.

Was III really a different game at first that they just slapped the PS label on? Like Mario 2 in the US, which was a totally different game with Mario characters?
Old 12-03-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

did anyone read the news about the original Phantasy Star on the PS2? They apparently remade the whole thing with new graphics and everything!

Hmmmm....makes me want to wait on the GBA version and get the souped-up next-gen version of Phantasy Star instead
Old 12-03-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nah 4 would have fit easily.

The 4 megadrive carts would have come in at about 4 megabyte (PS1 - 2 megabit, PS2 - 6 megabit, PS3 - 8 megabit, PS4 - 16 megabit). Maybe with the GBA libraries would have pushed it out another meg?

Chris
Old 12-03-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought PS IV when Toys R Us dropped it to $20 Great game for that price, especially on the Nomad!
Old 01-22-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone still looking for Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA:

Circuit City has it on sale for 22 bucks this week. Good luck finding it, however, as I haven't found a store with this in stock (in fact, most stores don't even know what the game is)

CC online had it for 19.99, but it's sold out.

But Amazon also has it for 19.99! Great price for three classic RPGs, though shipping is 4 bucks or so. I thought it might reflect the TRU price, but it's still 30 bucks there. And I can't find it at Best Buy, where one could use the 5 dollar coupon.
Old 01-22-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fujishig
Was III really a different game at first that they just slapped the PS label on? Like Mario 2 in the US, which was a totally different game with Mario characters?
No. I always wondered why III was so dumped on, it was just a good as the others (well.. obviously IV beats them all).. the marriage/children thing rocked.
Old 01-22-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think 2 was so good, that 3 paled by comparison. In fact, PS3 was more like a bunch of shorter rpgs in one, and the character development as such wasn't as deep. I never could afford 4.

I still think that little guidebook they packaged with 2 was the best. That and the one that came with sword of vermillion.
Old 01-23-03, 01:49 AM

2 was the best in the series, IMO. PS4 seemed more like FFIX - an apology to the fans after a lackluster game.

The PS2 upgrade of PS looks fantastic. I want to get a PS2 just to play it!