Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime review and impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trigger's getting dogged hard for stating an opinion. That shouldn't happen. Out of this entire forum, I disagree with Trigger the most (Josh, you're second ), but that doesn't mean I don't think he knows what he's talking about and has an opinion worth respecting. And yes, Trigger you come off as pro-X box/anti-Cube sometimes, but Josh Hinkle appears to have the opposite attitude just as often. And so everyone knows, I defended King Smoth in another thread because he's still getting dogged for his statement of opinion regarding Splinter Cell. I prefer intelligent debate, not piling on someone because they say something that goes against the grain.

On topic - I'm not very far into the game yet, but so far it's fantastic. The controls did take some time to get used to, but that's true with any game when played on the controllers with 38 buttons and 124 separate moves to perform. I'm looking forward to playing some more (and seeing Samus naked at the end of the game). That should be the reward right?

stoolie
Old 11-25-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

darkside: I usually use the Ice Beam to kill Space Pirates. One shot to freeze them and then one charged-up shot to kill them. The only problem is that they are fast enough to dodge Ice Beam shots occasionally.
Old 11-25-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my EGM magazine this weekend and read some more about Metroid Prime. I told myself I wasn't going to get it until I work on the games I already have. Well, that didn't last long and I bought it on Saturday.

The controls were a pain at first, but I'm getting used to them now. My left index finger was sore from holding down the left-trigger when scanning.

I'm only about 10% into it now, but I'm really liking this game. The graphics are great and it's fun remembering all the cool metroid things. Right now I'm trying to kill that sunbeam plant and it's pissing me off. I had to stop last night becauase of that darn plant.
Old 11-25-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Kellehair
darkside: I usually use the Ice Beam to kill Space Pirates. One shot to freeze them and then one charged-up shot to kill them. The only problem is that they are fast enough to dodge Ice Beam shots occasionally.
Darn, I don't have that yet. Should I have gotten it before going for the Infrared visor?
Old 11-25-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man that plant pissed me off. After I finally figured out what to do, he would
Spoiler:
start knocking the reflectors down after I'd knocked them up
Old 11-25-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Darn, I don't have that yet. Should I have gotten it before going for the Infrared visor?
You're right. You shouldn't have it just yet. My bad.
Old 11-25-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy Phazon Mines! Anyone been there yet? I just got my ass handed to me in a hurry. I'm not looking forward to going back in there.
Old 11-25-02, 10:41 AM

I just finished the first stage and all I can say is this game is simply the best.
Old 11-25-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So after reading through, I"m trying to figure out how the percentages work. Does it factor in what you scan as well maybe? Here's my breakdown:

Missles x 4 or so
Tanks x 4 or so
Morph Ball
Bombs
Speedball whatever
Wave gun
Space Jump Boots
Thermal Visor
Super Missles
Charge gun
Varia Suit

only like 18%

I tend to skip a lot of the scanning stuff though.

And for the record, I still am having a semi-hard time accepting this game as a Metroid, but damn if it isn't fun as hell and a great game none the less.
Old 11-25-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Don't skip the scanning you are doing yourself a disservice. A lot of important story details are there, and plus after you scan 50% of things you get an image gallery to unlock as a bonus. I already had 50% scanned about 30% into the game.
Old 11-25-02, 12:11 PM

"I still am having a semi-hard time accepting this game as a Metroid"

That's interesting, because the more I play the more I'm amazed at how Super Metroid-like it is. This game is masterfully done. I love it.
Old 11-25-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And if I really don't care about the story? I really get so little time to play games anymore, that the last thing I want to do is sit there reading bits of story. I scan quite a bit, don't get me wrong, but I do skip it a lot, and when it pops up with story I immediately skip it because I'd rather play the game than sit there and read it. If I had crazy free time, I'd scan and read until my eyes fell out.
Old 11-25-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
First of all - I don't "always" anything... I'm not in "every" thread... and I at least try to have some positive things to say about everything I'm critical of. Someone told me you hated me which is why I said that to you. I think if you feel that way about me you should just ignore me or at least leave me alone. Yes, I'm blunt and I say what I feel. If you don't like it, you can easily just put me on ignore.

As for Final Fantasy - I can't even believe that thread is still around - but I was just saying that about the theater I saw it at and I wasn't saying that everyone who goes to that movie is like that. There's a high concentration of people who are overweight geeks in trenchcoats in Arizona... I mentioned it because it's not what I was expecting to see. It's the same crowd I saw Independence Day with and they all yelled "DATA!" when they saw that guy from Star Trek. The fact that you went back that far to dig that up just indicates to me that you've disliked me for a long time.

I'm not going to go around collecting negative posts of yours because I don't care, but I know you like to post negative opinions. Just because I could go out and find 100 examples of where you post negative things about a subject wouldn't mean that it's the type of person you are or that you "always have something negative to add to a thread." Have you ever considered that perhaps you feel this way because we have different tastes and you just happen to like the things I dislike?

I never said people weren't entitled to their own opinions and they're more than welcome to disagree. I don't remember addressing you in this thread, so I really don't know why you felt it necessary to attack my character and "explain things" to me since I really didn't ask. My comments were to Josh specifically because I was suspended before over an exchange with him and I think it would be best for us both if we just said as little as possible to each other.

I have no problems with having a discussion - that's why I come here - to discuss. But I was taking issue with people attacking my character by saying that I never post anything but negative comments or suggest that I'm predisposed to hate everything on Gamecube - neither of these things are true and that's not disagreeing with my opinion, that's just trying to invalidate my opinion by making me look like some sort of (competing console) fanboy which I'm not.

As for the "mindless drone" comment that you seem to be fixated on - I was just saying that I'm not a mindless drone and I have my own opinion - I wasn't suggesting by any stretch of the imagination that people that like Metroid are all mindless drones. I don't think I should have to like something just because everyone else does - should I?

So far, not much in the way of convincing arguments have come my way to show how I'm wrong... I've stated that the graphics are decent. Overall it's pretty good, but for all the hype I feel there are plenty of games that have better graphics and are much more deserving of the praise. I've been playing more and I'm starting to appreciate some of the effects more with regard to the environment affecting your vision. It's a cool effect and it's fairly unique to this type of game, so I have to give props there. The rest of it seems to suffer from the Halo syndrome where alot of areas all look the same and I haven't really seen much in the way of "dazzling"... I'll keep playing though and if something changes my mind, I'll be sure to post it. It's at least starting to grab me enough to where I'm interested enough to keep playing it. Far from addicting, but that's probably because it's not posing enough of a challenge yet.
I hope you understand Trigger that in my post I was in on way tryingo to annoy you or prove you wrong or belittle you in any way. If I came off like that I apologize. I was just trying to point a few things out to you. Hell everyone knows Im as negetive as they come (xXx thread anyone?) and Im not exactly an expert I just know what I like, and this holds true for everyone. Im not fixated on your comment about mindless drones I was trying to make a joke, and you obviously didnt get it. Remember the one about lightening up and not being so uptight? I got that joke. And I dont keep myself updated on ALL your posts but it appears to me that when you do post its about how you dont like something. Your comment about the FF movie just always stuck out in my mind hell theres a lot of things I remember..why this is? I dont know it useless and maybe one day I'll forget it. But then again I always seem to remember even the most trivial of information (like my address ) In any case I hope this has cleared up anything I may have left unexplained.
Old 11-25-02, 04:09 PM

Quick question.

Is it worth buying a GameCube for Metroid?

I just was wondering if this was something that I had to add to my Christmas list.

After I saw the 10,10,10 in EGM, it made me curious.
Old 11-25-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't recommend buying any console for just one game. If you think you might want to play some of the other GameCube exclusives then it would probably be worth it.
Old 11-25-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by dvdhuds
Quick question.

I just was wondering if this was something that I had to add to my Christmas list.

After I saw the 10,10,10 in EGM, it made me curious.
I wouldn't suggest buying a system for just one game - Metroid seems to not disappoint most people and if you like Nintendo's first party stuff, you'll probably like the Gamecube. Mario Sunshine is a solid title and so is Pikmin... plus, there's nowhere else you'll be able to get Resident Evil, so if you're a fan of that series you should pick it up. If nothing other than a positive review of Metroid interests you, then I'd suggest trying it at a kiosk or else get similar games for the console you do own.
Old 11-25-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvdhuds
Quick question.

Yes*

* but only if you like the Metroid series AND have money to spend. If you don't know if you like Metroid and have a tight budget then I'd hold off. Maybe play the demo at EB or GameCube to see if it's worth it?

Speaking for myself as a long time Metroid fan, if I didn't own the GameCube already and read all the praise, I would of picked up that platinum Metroid/GC deal at Best Buy last week.
Old 11-25-02, 04:46 PM

FWIW, if you scan something but don't read the whole entry (just let go of the left shoulder button after "Scan Complete" comes up) it counts as having scanned it. This is for completists who want 100% to get the best ending and the image galleries but don't really care about the story.

BTW it is worth it to scan the creatures - it usually tells you their weakness if you do!
Old 11-25-02, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the 100% scan only opens the second image gallery. To get the best ending you have to collect 100% of the items.
Old 11-25-02, 05:10 PM

I thought it was 100% scans and items. I could be wrong, though. Oops
Old 11-25-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

darkside - I used charged wave beam shots to take out the space pirates. The homing on those really helps.
Old 11-25-02, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
darkside - I used charged wave beam shots to take out the space pirates. The homing on those really helps.
Super missiles work well too.
Old 11-25-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
Well I finally get the infrared visor and then all hell breaks loose. I got slaughtered before I could get back to the save point. Guess I have to go through all that again and scan all that stuff again. Sigh.

Anyone have tips for beating the Space Pirates easier? I know how to beat the Metroids, but I just don't have enough missles to fight both. I really wish I could save the game anywhere like Castlevania Harmony of D. It sucks having to scan all the same crap again. The save points are too far apart.
I died on my way back from the infrared visor on my first attempt too. Once I noticed that
Spoiler:
There's a health container right outside the visor room

I made it through the second time no problem.
Old 11-25-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Um, dunno if this was mentioned (it scared the crap out of me until I figured out what it was), but if you shoot into a wall after charging your weapon, you can see your face! The flash brings up your face's reflection on your visor heh.

Last edited by dgmayor; 11-26-02 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-25-02, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dgmayor
Um, dunno if this was mentioned (it scared the crap out of me until I figured out what it was), but if you shout into a wall after charging your weapon, you can see your face! The flash brings up your face's reflection on your visor heh.
lol, that startled me too, i was blasting the space pirates like mad and all of a sudden I see these big green eyes peering at me! It took a second to register until she blinked, then i figured it out I actually said out loud "whoa thats her eyes!"

Great game!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.