DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Old shool video game question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/251039-old-shool-video-game-question.html)

Save Ferris 11-15-02 09:17 AM

Old shool video game question

Im trying to find out what game captivated me so much when i was a kid. Sometime back in 1982-84 I had a SEGA Genesis or SEGA Master System I cant remember.

There was some RPG that was futuristic but you fought with swords. It had duneons and different planets. The main character was a girl.

The new Phantasy Star made me think of it. Could it be one of the original Phantasy Stars? I looked up some and the main character on them is a guy and it just dosnt sound right. What game was this!

Thanks!

jdpatri 11-15-02 09:30 AM

You mean '92 don't you? Unless my memory is fading, you'd only be playing some Atari and Intellivision back in 1984...

dgmayor 11-15-02 09:34 AM

Most likely the original Phantasy Star on Master System (PS 2-4 were on Genesis).

http://www.lmalla.com/storage/dvdtalk/ps1j-1.gif

http://www.lmalla.com/storage/dvdtalk/ps1j-2.gif

PixyJunket 11-15-02 09:35 AM

Yup. Phantasy Star was for the Master System. Coming soon to Gameboy Advance.. so pick it up and relive those memories, of when RPGs had a game behind them.

:o

Save Ferris 11-15-02 09:41 AM

YEA PHANTASY STAR! Is that 1 or 2?

Alis is the main characters name. THIS WAS SUCH AN AWESOME GAME!!! Im sure this was in the 80s.

DOH just saw the 1987 in that screen capture!

Thanks guys!

FalconH10 11-15-02 10:53 AM

Thought I'd let you know that you have to get phantasy star on an emulator to run it. Don't buy it! The battery backup in the game has long run its corse (most died by 1999 and those were the longest running ones). This means you must complete this 25 or so hour game in one sitting. Unless you feel like wiring in your own battery backup so you can save, I would say just emulate it :)

AgtFox 11-15-02 11:00 AM

Originally posted by FalconH10
Thought I'd let you know that you have to get phantasy star on an emulator to run it. Don't buy it! The battery backup in the game has long run its corse (most died by 1999 and those were the longest running ones). This means you must complete this 25 or so hour game in one sitting. Unless you feel like wiring in your own battery backup so you can save, I would say just emulate it :)
Just a question...did Phantasy Star use the same type of battery that was in Legend of Zelda 1 and 2? Only reason I ask is because my LoD's still work with the battery -eek- and I bought them both on release day.

PixyJunket 11-15-02 11:23 AM

Phantasy Star 1, 2, AND 3 are coming out on one cart for teh Gameboy here in the next couple of week.

Generation of Doom.. :D

Save Ferris 11-15-02 11:31 AM

Thanks for the tip

I was tempted to buy the game for cheap off ebay :)

neiname 11-15-02 11:38 AM

Phantasy Star 1 and 2 along with Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3 were the best RPG games ever!!!

PixyJunket 11-15-02 12:50 PM

Originally posted by neiname
Phantasy Star 1 and 2 along with Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3 were the best RPG games ever!!!
Nope.. Dragon Warrior 1-6. End of argument. -wink-

neiname 11-15-02 12:54 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
Nope.. Dragon Warrior 1-6. End of argument. -wink-
There was always something special about skipping school (playing sick) and spending the whole day leveling up your characters so you could deal out 9999 damage with a bamboo stick.

The current RPGs don't pay homage to the fact we want to be beaten by a monster pretty badly just so we can come back later and whoop its ass. The last RPG I remeber doing this was the snake from Final fantasy 7.

Face/Off 11-15-02 01:06 PM

Originally posted by jdpatri
You mean '92 don't you? Unless my memory is fading, you'd only be playing some Atari and Intellivision back in 1984...
I had an Intellivision! Those were the days of the 10-key controller that was attached to the console that probably weighed more than the X-Box does. Night Stalker, Armor Battle, Sea Battle, Lock 'n' Chase, Burgertime, Masters of the Universe, Tron: Deadly Discs...

jdpatri 11-15-02 01:26 PM

I don't remember the intellivision being very heavy... the best part about the intellivision was the control pads that you had to place that plastic slip over for each individual game. Oh... and the metallic discs you used to control your character... err... square/polygonal blob.

This and ColecoVision ruled my childhood. Up until a few years ago, my Coleco still worked great... the Intellivision however, bit the dust long ago. I might have to see if I can find one of the units just for nostalgia's sake.

PixyJunket 11-15-02 01:30 PM

Ha. People complain about the XBOX size. Has anybody here seen an Atari 5200? Jesus!

(had arcade perfect Pac-Man on it.. and that's why I got one)

PixyJunket 11-15-02 01:31 PM

Originally posted by neiname
There was always something special about skipping school (playing sick) and spending the whole day leveling up your characters so you could deal out 9999 damage with a bamboo stick.
You damn skippy, hippy!

In the last few recent RPGs I managed to stomch for more thatn 10 minutes, it appears leveling up is only there to pretend it's like the older games.

Lastblade 11-15-02 02:52 PM

Phantasy Star is awesome.

1st 4meg (abit) game for the SMS (or 8 bit generation)

It costed me like $70 and it WAS ALOT of money back then (or even now but back then 8 bit games are around $30 to 40...)

First Console RPG I have ever played....

I love this game.

Remember the nightmare scene?? :)

Lastblade 11-15-02 02:53 PM

Originally posted by FalconH10
Believe it or not, I still have my original SMS Phantasy Star cartridge with the original save on it.... I boot up up maybe once every 2 years but the battery (amazingly) has not died....

Save Ferris 11-15-02 03:12 PM

EXCELLENT GAME

Have any more screencaptures for it? It had lots of cool cities and little animations. Reminded me (at the time) of games like Ultima IV for the PC!

PixyJunket 11-15-02 03:15 PM

Ultima IV on the NES was awesome! :D

FalconH10 11-15-02 04:48 PM

Believe it or not, I still have my original SMS Phantasy Star cartridge with the original save on it.... I boot up up maybe once every 2 years but the battery (amazingly) has not died....
wow amazing, I can't believe it has held up that long. Well congrats, I guess I was wrong. Must be cool to own a very limited production game that works like this.

As for the battery in Legend of Zelda. They are based on very different technology, the SMS battery used in PS was a very cheap battery for the time, while LoZ used a very advanced battery. My best guess based on the battery they are using and how long it has lasting in other machines is 2008, with many lasting much longer, but 2008 is when most copies will start having problems or going out completely.

You could try to get it to work but you would need some decent electrical/computer hardware knowledge to get it to work correctly. Also believe it or not the LoZ battery is actually smaller than the PS battery as far as how much it can store. That is one reason for the short shelf life.