Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Metroid Prime deals @ Target (and Fusion)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-12-02, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, Target has an upcoming deal starting Sunday 11/17 for Metroid Prime. Buy a Gamecube and you get Metroid Prime for $19.99. It should also apply for the Gamecube SMS bundle too since I didn't see any exclusion notes.

Secondly, Click here and you will be directed to a $5 off coupon for Metroid Prime at Target. You should be able to use this with the above deal as well.

Target will receive Metroid Prime on 11/20 and that is when the coupon date starts.

Metroid Fusion will be $25.88.

Hope this helps all you guys! Enjoy! Now for my rant . I bought Timesplitters 2 at EB and returned it since I didn't really like it. I exchanged it for a preorder for Metroid Prime. Since exchanges make all sales final, I cannot return my preorder. Argh. I work at Target so this deal would've been super sweet for me. 10% employee discount and $5 off coupon would've gave me the game for ~$40. Oh well, I guess I can look on the bright side. I'll be getting the game on release on 11/18. Thank you for your time
Old 11-12-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sweet. thanks for the coupon.
Old 11-12-02, 07:58 PM

Good deal. I think I decided to buy a Gamecube today after I played the Metroid Prime Demo at Toys R Us. Plus a good price on Fusion. I'm there!
Old 11-12-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FUSION!!
Old 11-12-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, so is target's normal price for Metroid Prime just gonna be 49.99 then?
Old 11-13-02, 12:04 AM

By the way Fusion got a great review on IGN too.
Old 11-13-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool. thanks for the coupon.
Old 11-13-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by donnie5
By the way Fusion got a great review on IGN too.
post it here
Old 11-13-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WhattheFFF
post it here
Since you asked for it...

www.ign.com
Metroid Fusion
Believe it: Samus' first Game Boy Advance adventure is one of the finest titles on the system.

November 12, 2002 - The day has finally come, and brother, it was worth the wait. Nintendo, after years of sitting on the much-requested Metroid franchise, finally offers gamers what they crave: a true sequel that not only meets and exceeds the formula established in the three previous games in the series, it also exceeds the standards for what's expected in a handheld experience. Metroid Fusion is an outstanding achievement on the Game Boy Advance. It not only offers one hell of an action adventure design on the handheld hardware, it shows the market just what can be accomplished on the system given the proper time and commitment.

Features
  • Seven different areas to explore
  • Dozen hour adventure
  • GameCube link feature with Metroid Prime
  • Cartridge save (three slots)
  • Only for Game Boy Advance

Metroid Fusion picks up right after Super Metroid left off. On a routine trip back to planet SR388, Samus is attacked by a never-before-seen lifeform dubbed the X parasite. Unfortunately for our gal, the parasite infects almost all of Samus' vital systems. Near death, Samus is saved by a vaccine that's created from the DNA of the Metroid that she saved in her previous mission. But in the process, her body and familar suit were altered, leaving her in a much weaker state. Even so, she's sent to a research station to investigate, and potentially, eliminate the growing X parasite threat.

The X parasites will assume the form of other creatures using their DNA, so the station is overrun by familiar, but drastically mutated creatures that are controlled by the X. In her new state and new attire, Samus can now absorb any floating X parasite in the area; these parasites will replenish Samus' energy and weapon stock, just as the random icons did in the previous games. As players move deeper in the game, they'll battle bosses that are also in control by large X parasites. And by defeating these area bosses and absorbing the parasite from within, they'll recover one of the many abilities that Samus lost, from her trademark morphball to enhanced special techniques that are based off of her classic moves.

This will be the only real, potential spoiler that you'll read in this review, but it's important to know since it's the driving force of the entire Metroid Fusion storyline: one parasite, using part of Samus' DNA and previous suit, has assumed the form of the bounty hunter herself. This creature, dubbed SA-X from here on out, is essentially Samus at her prime (no pun intended). Encountering the SA-X in the game is cause for near certain death, because this thing wants you the same way you want the Parasite X: Dead.

The extensive plot in Metroid Fusion is excellent and engaging, even though it eventually takes the form of a familiar science fiction film in its surprises. But where the game really shines is in its overall gameplay. The developers take what's been established in Super Metroid for the SNES, Metroid for the NES, and Metroid II for the Game Boy, and follow that formula for Metroid Fusion's level design. Players will have to learn to use Samus' obtained abilities to open up hidden passages and doorways; certain blocks that can be destroyed cannot be without a certain technique, and many times that technique is learned deeper in the game. So mental notes will have to be made, because much of the hidden stuff in the research station requires backtracking after scoring a more powerful attack.

And it's the addition of the SA-X that really brings out a lot of "Oh, crap!" situations. Watching the Samus clone patrol an area from close proximity is a little stressful, considering that one false step means you're instant toast. Several instances throughout the adventure will put your quick reflexes to the test so as not to get blasted to smithereens by the SA-X clone...and some of the most fun and tense moments in the game are from the Samus/SA-X encounters.

The developers did an excellent job pulling off a ton of different abilities through the use of the GBA's limited four-button layout. A slight change to the way missiles are fired makes a whole lot of difference in the gameplay; in previous games, players would toggle missiles on and off with a button press. In Metroid Fusion, the switch between blaster and missiles is instantly more intuitive through the use of the R trigger: hold it down for missiles, release for blasters.The only time I found any control troubles was in one of the moves acquired later in the game, making it difficult for precise jumps required to defeat certain enemies. Even with practice, this move couldn't be performed consistently and fluently...a bit annoying especially during the intense battles that are encountered deep in the adventure.

Even though it looks like a Metroid game, the structure within has been altered noticeably. In past games in the series, you were on your own. It was all about exploration; if you get stuck or trapped in an area, there's something you've overlooked. In Metroid Fusion it's a little strange and very un-Metroid to be told exactly where to go and what to do and what to expect...but that's exactly what happens. Throughout the adventure, Samus is in constant contact with her computer that essentially dictates her next moves. This does sort of ruin the whole exploration aspect that's been a Metroid staple three games prior. But on the flipside, without the computer, the game's storyline wouldn't nearly be as deep or absorbing as it is in this game. While it certainly would have made the game longer had this forced game design not been written in, I'm torn because I think the atmosphere benefits from the "conversations" between Samus and her computer.

The Game Boy Advance system is a 2D powerhouse, and the developers definitely put its prowess to good use in Metroid Fusion; this adventure looks extremely polished with decent color depth in all of the different areas in the research station. Samus herself is drawn with several frames of animation, and the designers didn't cheat, either; every animation has been drawn twice to ensure that her blaster is always on her right arm. The developers pull off believable lighting, water, and heat effects using transparent layers, and the X parasites seem to breathe life from the programmers' use of the GBA's sprite scaling abilities. A lot of effects are so subtle and effectively used that it won't pull players out of their gaming experience; "Ooh, neat!" moments are few and far between, only because the entire game's graphics are pulled off so successfully.

And the audio compliments the entire game extremely well. The Game Boy Advance isn't exactly known for its sound capabilities, but several developers have pulled off some great audio on the handheld. But none so effectively as Metroid Fusion The musical score is understated but appropriately so, and it definitely fits the mood of the adventure. The sound effects are well-rendered and keep with the style that was established in Super NES' Super Metroid. I highly suggest you take advantage of the special "headphone" feature of the audio options, because the game's stereo effects are sweet candy for the ears.

Closing Comments
On the GameCube, Retro Studios went all out for Samus' first 3D adventure. On the Game Boy Advance, Intelligent Systems went all out for Samus' latest 2D adventure. If you're a Metroid fan, this is a win/win situation for all. Metroid Fusion is a brilliant continuation of the 2D series, pulling most of the successful ideas from the previous adventures while adding new elements unique to this game's design

Don't be fooled by the in-game clock; even though the adventure may last an average of five hours through, the seconds don't tick away during any of the several cutscenes in the game, nor does it count the time wasted dying and restarting from a save point. In reality, it will take a good 10 to 12 hours of hard playtime to go from beginning to end of Metroid Fusion, and it's an incredibly satisfying experience all the way through. And like the previous games in the series, Metroid Fusion features an incredibly well-structured design that a second play through to beat the previously acquired time.

If there's anything to bitch about in this fantastic game, I'm a little disappointed in the fact that the Game Boy Advance gamers don't really benefit from the link between Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime; the two treats that the connection offers only affects the GameCube version of the game.

Beyond that, it's hard to point at anything in Metroid Fusion that could be considered "bad." Intelligent Systems put together a fantastic adventure on the Game Boy Advance that not only will please those Samus fanatics that were itching for a continuation of her 2D adventures, it will most likely generate interest in gamers unfamiliar with the series to seek out Samus' previous games. Metroid Collection for GBA? Bring it on, Nintendo.

Last edited by khieng; 11-13-02 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-13-02, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by Zodo
Ok, so is target's normal price for Metroid Prime just gonna be 49.99 then?
Yep.
Old 11-13-02, 06:31 PM

Khai, so since this deal starts Sunday, do I get a raincheck for Metroid @ 19.99 on Wednesday if I buy the GC on Sunday when the deal starts? Or will I have to wait until Metroid is officially released? Any chance Target gets these early and will have them Sunday?
Old 11-13-02, 10:52 PM

The way we usually do these deals is by scanning the gamecube and game, then scan a store coupon that subtracts the amount from the game in a single transaction. So you would have to get Metroid Prime and the GC all at once. So really, the deal doesn't start until the 20th.

There may be a chance that Target will get the game a few days early, but Target has its own store specific street dates for games. It's kinda lame, imo. So unless a Target team member didn't get the word, MP and MF will both be out on the 20th and no earlier.
Old 11-17-02, 09:28 AM

damn, I can't find the target ad in the paper today (sunday!)
Old 11-17-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts
There must be some promotion from Nintendo as TRU and BB mention saving $20 when you buy GC and MP together. Still the Target deal gets you an extra $10 off.
Old 11-17-02, 02:32 PM

An extra $15 off if you use the $5 off coupon that I mention about above.
Old 11-17-02, 03:23 PM

hmm, a gamecube with metroid for $165...that sounds too good for me to pass up.

You're sure they won't bitch about using the coupon in addition to the other deal?

I wonder if I should preorder this....
Old 11-17-02, 11:04 PM

Nah, there's nothing that would stop them from honoring the coupon. Even if the system won't allow two discounts on MP, then the cashier can manually add the coupon to the transaction.. unless they don't know what they're doing.
Old 11-18-02, 12:57 AM

!!! I repeat I can't find the friggin target ad in the paper, can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-18-02, 01:21 AM

What did you need to confirm? I am a Target employee.

Last edited by khai; 11-18-02 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-18-02, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrSneis
!!! I repeat I can't find the friggin target ad in the paper, can anyone confirm this?
I received the paper Saturday and it does say that MP is $19.99 with a $149.99 Gamecube purchase.
Old 11-18-02, 07:09 AM

check it out here:

http://targetweeklyad.target.com/wee...3&C=1&P=16&Z=1