Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MOHAA spearhead demo now available!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOHAA spearhead demo now available!

"The eagerly anticipated multiplayer demo for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is now available, offering a chance to try out this imminent FPS expansion by 2015 and Electric Arts set in World War II. The demo contains the Malta level (that won't be available in the full expansion), the Tug-of-War map Druckkammern, four new skins for British, Russian, American and German troops and a new Axis weapon."

Just DLed from 3dgamers.com @~110 Kbps 2 new maps and some new weapons to boot!! One is a bolt action rifle with a grenade/rocket launcher thing on it
Old 11-10-02, 11:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Played it last night... the new weapons are interesting. I saw a smoke grenade (which works really well), and that German weapon that is half grenade launcher, half rifle. Oh, and MORTARS! Not sure on their range or how to use them, though.

Felt like ammo was really low... I found myself running out a lot. And then all I had left was my sidearm and two 8-round magazines... whee. Had to lift a few weapons off the opposing team; being a Nazi and wasting an Allied soldier with a Springfield rifle is fun.

The maps felt really big... maybe after I learn them, though, they'll feel just as big/small as the original MOH:AA maps.

I don't know if it's the demo code or what, but every time I spawned on the sub level, I lagged like crazy. Once I got away from the spawn, the lag went away.

I wasn't as blown away by Spearhead multiplayer as I was with Allied Assault... don't know why. I think my biggest negative with this game was the random choppiness... felt like I was fighting with that more than I was fighting enemy soldiers.
Old 11-10-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

do you need MOHAA to play this demo or can anyone get it to try online?
Old 11-10-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think you need MOH to play the demo, it looks like it's completely different and I didn't need my MOH disc in the drive to start it up (it's just a guess though).

I just downloaded it but can't play on any servers for some reason. I went into 5 or 6 different games and everyone was having the same problem - you can move around but the mouse doesn't do anything (you can't look, there's no gun, you can't turn, etc.).
Old 11-10-02, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Icculus
I don't think you need MOH to play the demo, it looks like it's completely different and I didn't need my MOH disc in the drive to start it up (it's just a guess though).

I just downloaded it but can't play on any servers for some reason. I went into 5 or 6 different games and everyone was having the same problem - you can move around but the mouse doesn't do anything (you can't look, there's no gun, you can't turn, etc.).
You MUST play this game with Gayspy...its another EA product *forcing* you to use gamespy....sigh....im having mixed feelings about spearhead..im still gettin it cuz i love MOH but i guess i just have to get used to it
Old 11-10-02, 01:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

During installation, I was given the option to install Gamespy, and I didn't. I used the in-game browser to connect to Spearhead servers.

I also don't have MOH:AA on my computer right now.

You don't need Gamespy or MOH:AA to run the demo.
Old 11-10-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

/me also did NOT install gamespy and use the ingame browser to find servers....
Old 11-10-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't install Gamespy either and it finally worked for me. The problem I was having seemed to be on the server side, there were a bunch of other people complaining that they couldn't move.
Old 11-10-02, 03:33 PM

I didnt install gamespy and it works, although servers show like 10 free spots and even when refreshing they show 10 free but still say they are full.

I honestly didn't care too much for it... I've lost the taste for fast paced action, I prefer slower games like America's Army or games with much larger open maps like Battlefield 1942. Like most games that are fast paces, it also means that lower ping means better score, I kept being killed by people that just popped into view, the only way to get a kill when on dialup is to surprise someone it seems.
Old 11-10-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I like MoH:AA better. It was more realistic. They sped everything up way too much now.
Old 11-10-02, 08:38 PM

hell, the game handles badly, I'm getting voted out because I'm too laggy.
Old 11-11-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It it a multiplayer only download?
Old 11-11-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the single player is locked in the demo.

I'm still having trouble with certain servers, I can get in but the mouse doesn't do anything. I can move around with the keyboard but I can't turn or look and it seems like it affects everyone in the server .
Old 11-11-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Icculus
Yeah, the single player is locked in the demo.

I'm still having trouble with certain servers, I can get in but the mouse doesn't do anything. I can move around with the keyboard but I can't turn or look and it seems like it affects everyone in the server .

Bummer......I'm not a big multiplayer fan.......
Old 11-14-02, 05:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

Bumpage. The demo auto-downloaded a patch for the demo, and it performs much better now. I was able to jump up two resolution levels, and it still ran smoother than the patch. I think the "server full" problems were still there, though.