Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Article on Who’s winning the console fight?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.msnbc.com/news/697375.asp?0na=x229M3m2-
Old 02-01-02, 04:06 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I've written and received responses from Steven Kent. He is a pretty intellegent fellow with only a slight bias to the PS2.

One quote I found interesting:

"If Nintendo cannot get its numbers up, particularly in Japan, we may need to reconsider keeping Resident Evil exclusive to GameCube,” Gardner recently admitted in a recent interview with MSNBC.com.

I wouldn't mind playing the new RE games, RE 0 and RE 4, on my Xbox. I'm sure PS2 owners feel the same way. But then again, Nintendo's numbers have improved in Japan since SSBM, so this point may be moot.
Old 02-01-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was this written before SSBM was released? I didn't read the article yet, but I doubt Nintendo's position was represented to well if this was written before its killer app was out.
Old 02-01-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was written after SSBM.
Old 02-01-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
What I got from that article was that all three consoles are doing pretty well. There wasn't anything really groundbreaking in there. We all know that the PS2 has a big lead and that Nintendo has less games and consoles available and needs to increase shipments. I think its getting pretty clear that all three consoles are going to find their place in the gaming market.
Old 02-01-02, 06:28 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

The article was published on Jan 31st which is 2 months after SSBM.

It really depends how recent that Bill Gardner quote was taken.
Old 02-01-02, 08:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The article also implies that Nintendo is rethinking the cell-shaded Zelda.
Old 02-01-02, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
The article also implies that Nintendo is rethinking the cell-shaded Zelda.

It doesn't imply it, it outright says it. ----------------Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!! If they keep the new gameplay ideas we saw at E3 and upgrade the graphics to the old video quality, we could have a SERIOUS contender here---------the new Zelda vs. Halo-------------it could be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-02, 09:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

If Nintendo is switching this game midstream, I'm suddenly having a sinking feeling about the new Zelda...
Old 02-01-02, 09:39 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
If Nintendo is switching this game midstream, I'm suddenly having a sinking feeling about the new Zelda...
There's no reason to have a sinking feeling, unless you mean from fear of delay. Every Zelda game has been top notch, and whatever comes out on the Gamecube will be as well, or they won't put it out. If they change it midstream, it will simply mean that it won't come out this year.
Old 02-01-02, 09:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by joshhinkle

There's no reason to have a sinking feeling, unless you mean from fear of delay. Every Zelda game has been top notch, and whatever comes out on the Gamecube will be as well, or they won't put it out. If they change it midstream, it will simply mean that it won't come out this year.
The delay is the reason I get that feeling... if the scrap the entire Celda thing, I imagine they'll come out with something as equally enticing. Personally I think Celda looked awesome.
Old 02-02-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I see no need to worry, the game will be top notch. In terms of switching it leading to a delay, I don't believe that either. Nintendo has access to several 3d engines they have built already, and I'm sure Nintendo had planned for a possible switch over. (ie continued development for the other title on the side)

That said, I do not think it will launch this year in the US. Mario is no doubt going to launch this year. In addtion, by Peter Main's comments, it appears metroid will launch on time. So the question doesn't become, will the game be done, but will Nintendo want to launch so many of their most have games in one year. (Remember we also have ED, Starfox, Animal Forest, and others)

Nintendo may very well might be trying to push all these titles out at once for a different plan of attack, but traditionally they like to space their titles out, not just for quality control, but for maximum market saturation (profits) and to keep gamers eagerally waiting for the next release. Fortunitly Nintendo does keep working on their products to the last second, so even if the delay is to make more money, we can at least know it will do us good.

One thing to consider is this, how much pressure does Nintendo face from the gaming community? Everyone, including competitors look to them as the standard in game play in so many generes and inovation. To work on such a level all the time must be nerve racking. Not to mention they are responsible to the share holders. I don't see any other company out there that works with such precision in the industry, it truely must be difficult.
Old 02-02-02, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
[P]"If Nintendo cannot get its numbers up, particularly in Japan, we may need to reconsider keeping Resident Evil exclusive to GameCube,” Gardner recently admitted in a recent interview with MSNBC.com. [/P]

[P]I wouldn't mind playing the new RE games, RE 0 and RE 4, on my Xbox. I'm sure PS2 owners feel the same way. But then again, Nintendo's numbers have improved in Japan since SSBM, so this point may be moot.[/P]

You know, not to be biased towards the PS2 but RE4 should have never been exclusive to the GC, if anything it should have been a PS2 exclusive. The PS is where RE started and thats where it has it's biggest fan base. RE4 should be made for GC, X-Box, and the PS2. I'm tired of all this "exclusive only for -------" crap.
Old 02-02-02, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
"If Nintendo cannot get its numbers up, particularly in Japan, we may need to reconsider keeping Resident Evil exclusive to GameCube,” Gardner recently admitted in a recent interview with MSNBC.com.

I wouldn't mind playing the new RE games, RE 0 and RE 4, on my Xbox. I'm sure PS2 owners feel the same way. But then again, Nintendo's numbers have improved in Japan since SSBM, so this point may be moot.

You know, not to be biased towards the PS2 but RE4 should have never been exclusive to the GC, if anything it should have been a PS2 exclusive. The PS is where RE started and thats where it has it's biggest fan base. RE4 should be made for GC, X-Box, and the PS2. I'm tired of all this "exclusive only for -------" crap.
Old 02-02-02, 01:41 PM

I too don't care for exclusive titles, but that's the way it works. After all, that's why I always have to at least own the Nintendo console, cause I know I won't get their games anywhere else.

RE only being on GC is a big sting to all PS2 owners, but that's the way it is going to be.
Old 02-02-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
How many 3rd Party games have STAYED "exclusive" in the past? I mean... not many. Most games that I can think of started exclusive and then ended up being ported later. I don't mind waiting to play RE on my Xbox. Actually - let me make that question less rhetorical and pose it to you all - anybody care to list all the 3rd party games that stayed exclusive to one console? I guess Sony would have a few because they don't really make games (do they?), so Gran Tourismo would be one exclusive franchise. Final Fantasy? This Resident Evil franchise is too huge to keep it exclusive forever. Plus with the movie coming out - this won't stay exclusive for too long is the way I'm thinking.
Old 02-02-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

console bashing post removed. -namja

Last edited by SpacemanSpiff; 02-02-02 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-02-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
[edit] -namja
Um - yeah - this kind of talk will get you suspended. Watch your console bashing. Unless you were thinking about POS meaning Point Of Sale. And when you say worthless, maybe you were thinking that you can't put a value on them. And when you said you were going to urinate on everyone, I'm sure you were talking about... um... dude that's nasty. Anyway - watch who you call a fanboy.

Old 02-02-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dude
you found my pic!

wtf!

sorry about the bitterness
im just a bitter kinda guy

Quote - "A fanboy isn't someone who simply likes one console. A fanboy is an immature person that feels the need to bash the consoles he/she doesn't own, and those that own them, because they are jealous that they can't afford to own more than one console"

well i can say for a fact that I am not any of those things

really im not

Last edited by SpacemanSpiff; 02-02-02 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-02-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
How many 3rd Party games have STAYED "exclusive" in the past? I mean... not many. Most games that I can think of started exclusive and then ended up being ported later. I don't mind waiting to play RE on my Xbox. Actually - let me make that question less rhetorical and pose it to you all - anybody care to list all the 3rd party games that stayed exclusive to one console? I guess Sony would have a few because they don't really make games (do they?), so Gran Tourismo would be one exclusive franchise. Final Fantasy? This Resident Evil franchise is too huge to keep it exclusive forever. Plus with the movie coming out - this won't stay exclusive for too long is the way I'm thinking.
Gran Turismo and Jak and Daxter are both first party Sony games. Jak and Daxter is especially confusing, because they made Crash Bandicoot, which is now multiconsole. However, Sony bought Naughty Dog, who made the PSX Crash games, and they made Jak and Daxter. Meanwhile, someone else is now making Crash Games.

Gran Turismo has always been first party Sony. Naughty Dog and Polygamy are Sony the same way that AM2 and Sonic Team are Sega, or the way that EAD and Factor 5 are Nintendo.

Square, meanwhile, has Sony as a major shareholder. Sony doesn't own Square, but there is an understanding between them that Sony's success is Square's benefit, and Sony invested heavily in Square's movie, and in their games. I think it was Sony money that helped Square publish FFX on its own in North America, rather than through EA.

Also, while many "exclusives" eventually go multiconsole, they're exclusive for as long as they matter. The other consoles, though they may get an extra sidequest, or bonus levels, or slightly refined visuals, are still getting a 6-month old game. This is why Metal Gear Solid helped the PS2, but an XBox release over the summer probably won't be terribly high profile. By that time, PS2 gamers will be months past MGS2, and gearing up for something else.
Old 02-02-02, 05:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

[edit] -namja
Old 02-02-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol
i shouldnt have said anything
Old 02-02-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
lol
i shouldnt have said anything
yeah, you shouldn't have. take this as an OFFICIAL WARNING.

-namja
Old 02-02-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by namja

yeah, you shouldn't have. take this as an OFFICIAL WARNING.

-namja

I thought it was kinda funny.
Old 02-02-02, 08:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

Scandal and Spiff:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=172249

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.