Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

One-And-Only GTA Vice City Impressions and Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I had a business meeting last night, so I only got to play about two hours before it was time for bed (sleep? what's that?).

I didn't do all that much yet. Did some early missions, grabbed a few cars, checked out the city. Everyone is correct, this city is huge. It seems like the beach alone is as big as all of Staunton Isle in the first game. It takes forever to get from the north side of town to the south side.

Love the bikes. Best addition I've seen so far. I'm pretty good with the PJC600(?) sport bike, which is supposedly the fastest vehicle in the game, and the best handling. I can ride forever on that thing. The hog is fun, but I don't care for it's crappy handling. I've literally killed myself trying to ride it. Makes nice slides though.

Found some unique jumps, these are pretty easy to spot if you found them in the first game.

Didn't find the chainsaw yet, but found the chainsaw rampage by accident, so I've seen the damage it can do.

Other than that, I'm just crusing around town, getting used to the game and the layout of this town. Some differences I've noticed...

The game is brighter (oooh is that sun bright), but I think it tends to bring out the fact that many of the textures are low quality. In some ways it looks much better, but in other ways it looks worse. I liked having trails on in GTA3, but I had to turn them off in this game.
Old 10-30-02, 10:53 AM

Ok, got the game this morning (YES!!!) but I can't figure out how to make the game look good with the trails. It was fine on GTA 3, but on this game it just looks muddy. Any tips? Anyways, back to gaming...
Old 10-30-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I found that the DTS sound is terrible. Very tinny and the surround usage is just plain odd. Having said that, I found that leaving it on stereo and using my Onkyo's Pro Logic II Movie mode sounds much better than the DTS does.
Old 10-30-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it me or is it really hard to see at night? I have the default brightness on and my TV is properly calibrated so that nothing else is this dark.
I guess it's just that there seems to be almost no street ligths in some areas and it makes it tough. Especially when your hauling it in a fast car and don't the see traffic in front of ya.
Old 10-30-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone have reviews from any of the mags they can post? I'd be interested to see what they thought. Much thanks.
Old 10-30-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Ah, is there anything better than ramming that guy into the water as he tries to escape in his golf cart with Judas Priest cranking "You've Got Another Thing Coming"?!?!?!?!
I love the missions. I love the weapons. I love the music. I love the Taxi (that brings you back to last mission if you fail). This game is TOP NOTCH!!!
Old 10-30-02, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by uteotw
Ah, is there anything better than ramming that guy into the water as he tries to escape in his golf cart with Judas Priest cranking "You've Got Another Thing Coming"?!?!?!?!
I love the missions. I love the weapons. I love the music. I love the Taxi (that brings you back to last mission if you fail). This game is TOP NOTCH!!!
I was going to post something related with spoilers...but since you already ruined it....is there any way to sneak the gun in?
Old 10-30-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being that I own a Suzuki GSXR, I really enjoy the addition of the bikes in Vice City. Too bad the PJC 600 looks more like a Suzuki Bandit, rather than a GSXR or R1.

I love the fact that you can wheelie and do burn outs!
Old 10-30-02, 02:35 PM
Suspended

I had to travel about 20 miles to get this bad boy, because no store had this around my town, but DAMN is it worth it! This game is so awesome I havent even begun any missions yet, just beating people up and wrecking cars!! I think the DTS is great, especially when the choppers fly above you Awesome Awesome game so far
Old 10-30-02, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett
Personally, I found that the DTS sound is terrible. Very tinny and the surround usage is just plain odd. Having said that, I found that leaving it on stereo and using my Onkyo's Pro Logic II Movie mode sounds much better than the DTS does.
I have to agree, this is my first DTS game and I too am disappointed. The voices eccho everywhere and the "surrounds" just don't balance right.
Old 10-30-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by uteotw
The music is great. As soon as I got into the golf cart to chase after that guy, it was a real rush to hear "The Message"... "Don't push me 'cause I'm close to the edge..."
Old 10-30-02, 03:43 PM

Ok, I'm officially stuck for the first time in this game. I'm on the DEATH ROW mission, and it is starting to piss me off. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I have been able to shoot my way through the gang members, and I have gotten to Lance, but everytime I get into my car I get destroyed (or Lance bites the dust before he can enter). Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-30-02, 04:15 PM

I'm stuck too! I'm stuck on "the chase" That stupid BF injection and the gun off the back of it.
Old 10-30-02, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I'm stuck too! I'm stuck on "the chase" That stupid BF injection and the gun off the back of it.
I got that one on my first try. Just keep swerving to avoid the bullets.
Old 10-30-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

in The Chase, don't try to ram the guy or anything, you're just supposed to follow him. After a few minutes he'll pull up to a house & it's finished. I just stayed back a little & his bullets didn't do any damage at all.
Old 10-30-02, 05:18 PM

See, i was trying to attack the BF injection. I tried staying back a little but i must have still gotten hit a little, cause my engine popped and before i could get a car they were gone. I'll try staying back a little more.
Old 10-30-02, 06:08 PM

Yeah that level was way easy once i jsut stayed back. I guess i was jsut being too aggressive.
Old 10-30-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just picked up my copy at Best Buy for $35.
Old 10-30-02, 07:32 PM

Man this title had so much hype going into it, its great that it lives up to it! Can't wait to play it (if i can find one....)!
Old 10-30-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Game looks great to me, and everything is perfectly visible at night. I didn't like trails in GTA3, but I like it in VC.
My only complaint is I've been playing too many games lately, and now I can't play my VC . I strained the muscles in my arms about six weeks ago at work, and now whenever I sit on the comp or game for too long, my arms tense up. It had pretty much stopped like two weeks ago, so I started heavy gaming again, and now it's bothering me. The medication I'm on helps, but it's not enough. I think I'm just going to have to disconnect all of my systems for like a month or so, so that I'm not tempted to play any, and my arms will hopefully get better.
Of course I would finally get VC and not be able to play it. It doesn't help that RE 0 comes out in two weeks either.
Old 10-30-02, 09:08 PM

Anybody had the unmarked Police car after them? Its a yellow corvette with a red dashlight. Thats a great addition.
Old 10-30-02, 10:10 PM

FROM GAMESPOT:

Electronics Boutique's CEO says that the retailer sold through more than 500,000 copies in the first day, including preorders.

Electronics Boutique CEO Jeff Griffiths today said that Grand Theft Auto: Vice City sold an extremely large number of copies yesterday, the game's first day on sale. Griffiths didn't specify the exact number of copies that were sold by retail EB stores and EBGames.com but said that "it was closer to a million than half a million."
Take-Two has said that retailers worldwide have ordered 4 million copies of the game, though not all copies are likely to be manufactured and distributed at once. While a variety of retailers, including large chains like BestBuy, CompUSA, and Circuit City, had copies of the game on the first day, it is said that a large portion of the game's first printing has been allocated to Electronics Boutique. EB stores contacted by GameSpot received just enough copies for those who had preordered the game and said the next shipment would arrive November 4.
Old 10-30-02, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by rocketsauce
ok, seriously its called an endo, not a stoppie. a stoppie sounds so friggin retarded
Actually... an Endo (i believe) is a term used for bicycles...

Ask any sportbike rider... when you raise the tail of the bike by applying the FRONT brake, that is a STOPPIE....

Just a little FYI...

The dirtbike is killer at doing wheelies... you can pop the wheel up, and ride the bike at what seems like 5 mph forever... change lanes and everything....

The scooter, well, you can get a wheelie up on it, get the sucker stable in the wheelie, then just keep the throttle wide open and the scooter will cruise around at twelve o'clock (basically, it wheelies riding on it's tail section).... I had that sucker wheelie for a LONG time...

Being a sportbike rider, and not having owned GTA3, I find the bikes to be the BEST... I love them... ride them all the time...

Speaking of which...

The guy having trouble with "The Chase"... did you know that you cannot (i think) get hit with bullets while riding? Keep that in mind when you see what the designers "left" for you after you leave the rooftop....
Old 10-30-02, 11:30 PM
wiz

Well I broke down and bought a PS2 today and VC to go with it. I was a big fan of GTA3 on the PC and figured I should check out this game with the DTS sound and on my TV. The first thing I realize though is that I need a new TV. My old 27" TV just isn't cutting it anymore...sigh

I guess I'll have to go TV shopping now...

As for the game though...the gameplay is rather nice. It's taking me some getting used to with the controller and the movement and all that, but it's just a learning curve. I have used the kb/mouse combo for so long I have forgotten what it was like to play a console almost. The game is fun though, I just need to start looking for more weapons and cars. Only done 2 missions thus far...
Old 10-30-02, 11:31 PM

I'm taking my time going through the game. On purpose. But where is the helicopter and the plane. I want to fly!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.