Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How cool was this?? (Sega Channel)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How cool was this??

Remember about 10 years ago those of you that had sega genesis. Around here in my area anyways, the local cable company had the SEGA Channel, and for like 20 bucks a month, you could play around 50 full games or so. When I look back at it now, I am wondering why no other company has done this. Would Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo be able to implement this with cd/dvd based games?

I remember the sega channel was a real easy setup too and pretty stable (always could play games, no interuptions, etc.)

I dont remember all that much about it though. But it was great for the summer time when me and my friends were 13-14
Old 10-21-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yes the Sega Channel! ElementZ you're bringing back some great memories! It was an awesome concept! Sure beat renting games for a summer! I don't know why other console wouldn't follow this formula of cable gaming? My only guess is that the companies most likely will lose money (people not buying games), and/or license agreements and/or Blockbuster bitched about decrease in rentals of video games
Old 10-21-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My parents wouldn't let me get it
Old 10-21-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mine either, but I did have an x-band
Old 10-21-02, 11:03 PM

Yeah the Sega Channel was the best thing going back then. We used to play for hours and spread fake rumours that there would be a Nintendo channel soon like there was in Japan. It was so great having all those games right at your fingertips especially since I didn't have the money then to buy them or the space to store them. How many hours of joy did I get out of it. Endless! It also intrduced me to a LOAD of great games. It was the coolest thing ever. Old school gaming was so great!
Old 10-22-02, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also remember this very well. In fact when I had this installed, back when I was living in New Jersey, I remember the guy from the cable company telling me that I was the first customer in their area to order the Sega Channel. It was fun getting up early on the first of the month (or staying up late) just to see what the new games would be for the new month.