Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Metroid Prime demo hitting store demo units soon.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-17-02, 10:45 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=3571

They say it's the same demo that was at E3, or a slightly modified version. I'm still anxious to check it out as I've never played it or even seen any videos, just screen shots. I would have prefered a more up-to-date demo though.
Old 10-17-02, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I refuse to ruin this game...it's the only reason I haven't sold off my Cube, so needless to say I'd like this game to be an enjoyable experience right from the start. I've already ruined such "classics" like Ocarina, SMS and others by playing them early.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-17-02, 10:59 PM
Retired

I still have some reservations about Metroid in first-person, so I'll probably check it out before having someone get it for me for my birthday.

I avoid playing games I know I'll love early as well, but I still have some tiny doubts about this one.
Old 10-17-02, 11:38 PM
Banned

The buzz has been off the charts, so it should be somewhat of a keeper.

That being said, we have no idea what to expect because it is something so different and new. With a game like GTA:VC you know whats coming and you know its a winner.
Old 10-18-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Mike_AA
The buzz has been off the charts, so it should be somewhat of a keeper.

That being said, we have no idea what to expect because it is something so different and new. With a game like GTA:VC you know whats coming and you know its a winner.
It's gonna be weird at first, but the game is amazing. I can understand you not wanting to play it early so I sugest you just watch people play.
Old 10-18-02, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've already got it preordered and paid for, but I will have to try it out when the demo comes out. My curiousity is killing me.
Old 10-18-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I played it a little at E3 and was less than impressed... not that this will influence any of you either way. I'll probably rent it sometime, but it seemed pretty blah.
Old 10-18-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I played it a little at E3 and was less than impressed... but it seemed pretty blah.
Lucky for us, it appears the entire gaming industry disagrees with you.

I too will wait to play the game until I own it. Which will be roughly around x-mas time...
Old 10-18-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Lucky for us, it appears the entire gaming industry disagrees with you.
link?
Old 10-18-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dude, the buzz for this game has been incredibly positive. You want him to dredge up a couple dozen links to prove what we already know?
Old 10-18-02, 09:59 AM
Retired

Yeah, what Aghama said. EGM and most magazines have been very high on it. It won game of show at E3 in several publications and was near the top in everyone of them. You don't need a bunch of links for something that's common knowledge.
Old 10-18-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

link?
IGN :
The visual style...the sheer variety of textures used, the particle effects, the geometry, the curving architecture and vegetation that surrounds objects, all comes together for a very moody, not to mention stunning experience. If there was ever any doubt that GameCube was a powerful console in the hands of the right developer, let it be squashed once and forever: Metroid Prime is phenomenally, unbelievably polished, jaw-droppingly beautiful. Retro Studios owns... Before E3 2002 we had our doubts about Metroid Prime as a whole. After the show, we had our doubts that other levels would be as solid as the first demo. Now, we have no doubts. This game kicks our collective ass. It's stunningly beautiful, clever, innovative, and most of all fun. It'll remind players why they've always loved the Metroid franchise and at the same time blow away newcomers with its style, theme and play mechanics. This is Nintendo's flagship title.
Gamers.com :
Metroid Prime is looking more impressive than ever...new levels (and a slightly tweaked version of the demo available for play at this past May's E3) were demonstrated for the hungry eyes of the journalists in the room, and no one was disappointed. There are a lot of play mechanics and situations that will please Metroid fans of old, and plenty of new ideas that should successfully carry the series into the future as well. ... Despite some initial skepticism, I'm now convinced that first-person shooter is the next best form to side-scrolling platform gameplay Metroid could have taken.
MSNBC :
Brilliantly-paced, with some of the finest art ever to grace a video game, 'Metroid Prime' looks to be a contender for best game of this generation... Metroid Prime is visually stunning — stunning beyond belief. Hollywood could take some lessons from the set and creature designs in this game...
EGM (August 2002):
Metroid has taken to 3D like a Norfair Squeept to lava. (Geek-speak translation: "3D works here.") ... Thanks to its intuitive controls and first person adventure gmeplay, Metroid is shaping up much better than hardcore fans expected.
EGM's Top 10 Games of E3 2002:
1. Zelda (GC)
2. Mario Sunshine (GC)
3. Metroid Prime (GC)
4. Metroid Fusion (GBA)
5. Steel Battalion (Xbox)
6. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
7. Splinter Cell (Xbox)
8. Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)
9. Soul Calibur 2 (arcade)
10. Socom: U.S. Navy Seals (PS2)

Old 10-18-02, 12:25 PM
Banned

SMS #2 over Metroid? Ugh.
Old 10-18-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see anywhere in there about how the "entire gaming industry" disagrees with me. I know most of the review sites are excited about it. I'm sure everyone who wets their pants over Goldeneye will soil themselves over Metroid. I actually hope it's a badass game because I like FPSers as you know. It'd be nice if there were another good one to add to the list... I'm just saying that I gave it a fair chance at E3 and it looked like nothing special to me... that wasn't the final game though, so like I said - I'll rent it and see if it's improved.
Old 10-18-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Trigger, I'm sure that there are people in the industry that will agree with you. My comment was meant to highlight the fact that people are generally considering it a solid title and looking forward to it.

Truth is it could suck. But right now, people that have played it love it. Except you of course.

Also, just so you don't go into the game with the wrong mindset, it is not a FPS. It is a FP Adverture type of game. If you have played the previous games you'll have to imagine that in 3d. It's a little different then the usual FPS.

Also, I think the comment about GoldenEye players was niether necessary or benificial to your post.

Peace.
Old 10-18-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Main Entry: hy·per·bo·le

Pronunciation: hI-'p&r-b&-(")lE

Function: noun

Etymology: Latin, from Greek hyperbolE excess, hyperbole, hyperbola, from hyperballein to exceed, from hyper- + ballein to throw -- more at DEVIL

Date: 15th century

: extravagant exaggeration (as "mile-high ice-cream cones")
Old 10-18-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Trigger, I'm sure that there are people in the industry that will agree with you. My comment was meant to highlight the fact that people are generally considering it a solid title and looking forward to it.

Truth is it could suck. But right now, people that have played it love it. Except you of course.

Also, just so you don't go into the game with the wrong mindset, it is not a FPS. It is a FP Adverture type of game. If you have played the previous games you'll have to imagine that in 3d. It's a little different then the usual FPS.

Also, I think the comment about GoldenEye players was niether necessary or benificial to your post.

Peace.
Well, I knew you were just trying to make a point... I was just being a smartass. Not to beat this into the ground though, but I talked to several people at E3 who were less than impressed with the demo. Previews are almost always hyping games - especially high-profile titles like this. That doesn't mean it will suck any more than it means it will be the best ever.

As for your FPS comment - "First Person Adventure" is a topic that's been discussed around here before and when I played it, it seemed more like Gunvalkrye in First Person perspective than an adventure game. Plus - pretty much all FPS games that come out are Adventure games now. Doom was a FPS with very little adventure to it... it was about as adventurous as Adventure for the Atari 2600 (find key, enter door, kill dragon, get lost in maze). For the past several years though, all FPS games (save for Serious Sam and tactical military related shooters) have plenty of story and adventure driven content. If Metroid is trying to coin the phrase "First Person Adventure" in order to distinguish itself from the pack, then this is just a dopey marketing gimmick. It may end up a really awesome game, but there's absolutely nothing revolutionary here (unless you consider jumping from one platform to another in first person mode a revolution in gaming).

I'm entitled to my opinion. My opinion is about the demo at E3 because that's what I've played... I aknowledged that nobody would pay any attention to it because everyone thinks I'm anti-nintendo or something, but at least I'm not spouting off opinions about a game I haven't played and stating them as facts.
Old 10-18-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Trigger,
have you even played a Metroid game before? It seems you have a hard time accepting the whole "First Person Adventure" concept. But if Metroid Prime is, like they say, the same gameplay as the old Metroids, except in first person, then First Person Adventure is a valid label.

I can see how it would be hard to grasp that after playing a short demo, though. If someone had given you a very short section of the original Metroid to play, you probably would have written it off as "just another side scroller". Hell, I thought the same thing after I played the original Metroid. It took a little bit of getting into it before I could appreciate the adventure aspect of it.

Believe me, this game will be huge. (and there will be hella more people "wetting their pants" over Metroid's release than Blinx's )
Old 10-18-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

has Trigger EVER liked a GC game? I don't post very often, but all I ever see is him bashing or disagreeing about GC games and "wetting his pants" over XBOX games. I try to keep quiet but i swear he has a vendetta against Nintendo
Old 10-18-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
has Trigger EVER liked a GC game? I don't post very often, but all I ever see is him bashing or disagreeing about GC games and "wetting his pants" over XBOX games. I try to keep quiet but i swear he has a vendetta against Nintendo
Well that's completely false. I've stated numerous times that I liked Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin and I even kinda liked Resident Evil, but felt it was a little overhyped.

I'm not even saying I don't like Metroid - I'm just saying I didn't think it was anything special. You guys hear what you want to hear, not what I actually say. I admitted that I only played a demo and it was short. I'm not saying that Metroid doesn't have 'adventure' aspects, I'm just saying that all first person shooters have adventure aspects and that this is no different. I haven't played previous Metroid games before, so that's why I don't have an opinion about them.

I didn't actually wet my pants over blinx - I still haven't purchased it even. The videos I had seen of it got me really excited because the game looked cool... the reviews being so sour made me think twice about it. Xbox has lots of good titles on the horizon, but nothing all that mind-blowing except maybe Splinter Cell. I'll be playing GTA Vice City for the next few weeks or so after it comes out and probably nothing else. I've also been playing Final Fantasy 10. Most of my gaming though has always been on a PC. I'm heavy into FPS games and this Metroid title was one that I was really interested in (since before the GCN launch) until I played it at E3. I'm entitled to my opinion and you guys are just trying to discredit me because you disagree... get over it.
Old 10-18-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just being a smartass.
As usual.

Thats why people are so quick to discredit your opinion. Its the smartass way you say things regarding the GameCube.

However, what you posted last makes sense and thats the reason I want to play it for myself. Its a different direction with the game going 3D and I would love to put some time in playing it before it is released. I've heard a lot of good things and some bad, but I really need to play this myself to be convinced.

I was this way with Mario and Zelda when they first went 3D. Just because I liked their 3D evolution doesn't guarantee anything for Metroid. I'm optimistic, but I would like a chance to cancel my preorder if I discover its not to my liking.
Old 10-18-02, 10:20 PM
Retired

If it captures the feel of the old metroid games, it will definitely be a First Person Adventure, rather than an FPS.

It's probably hard to get a feel for that from the demo, as it was short, and it's likely the crammed a lot of shooting/action in it to make it more exciting.

If it's true the series, there will be a lot more exploring areas, looking for secret passages, walls you can bomb, getting new powers, and reexploring areas you've already been through to find places you can get to using your new powers that were inaccessible before, etc.

It could just end up being an FPS with a little bit of exploration thrown in, but I'm hoping that's not the case, and it retains the exploration oriented gameplay the series is known for. From what I've read, most sites say it feels like a Metroid game, so I have pretty high hopes for it.
Old 10-18-02, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darkside
As usual.

Thats why people are so quick to discredit your opinion. Its the smartass way you say things regarding the GameCube.

However, what you posted last makes sense and thats the reason I want to play it for myself. Its a different direction with the game going 3D and I would love to put some time in playing it before it is released. I've heard a lot of good things and some bad, but I really need to play this myself to be convinced.

I was this way with Mario and Zelda when they first went 3D. Just because I liked their 3D evolution doesn't guarantee anything for Metroid. I'm optimistic, but I would like a chance to cancel my preorder if I discover its not to my liking.
Once again - take what I said out of context... I should wear a fireproof suit before stepping into the VG forum... some of you are just prone to cheap shots. Look - I was being smart about him saying "the entire gaming industry" because it was an exaggeration - I asked for a link that would support his claim. My saying I was being a smartass was to let him off the hook because I didn't want any links. I don't say smartass things about the GCN - you're thinking if someone else.
Old 10-18-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Trigger,

I was just going back and re-reading some of the Metroid threads, and came across this very interesting quote by you:

I was underwhelmed at E3 by it - As a Metroid game, I don't think it'll fully satisfy the core fans... As a FPS game, it's less than spectacular. It'll be something I'll want to play though since I'm a FPS freak and all.
But then just today, you said this:

I haven't played previous Metroid games before, so that's why I don't have an opinion about them.
So my question is, How the heck would you know what is going to satisfy core fans if you've never played any of the originals?
Old 10-18-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once again - take what I said out of context... I should wear a fireproof suit before stepping into the VG forum... some of you are just prone to cheap shots.
Whatever. You jump on people and its okay, but someone says something against you and they are taking cheap shots. I give up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.