Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

QCast for the PS2

Old 10-01-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

QCast for the PS2

So I got a copy of QCast from BroadQ last week, mainly for to use the PS2 as an mp3 receiver. It's still in pre-release (beta), so there are still quite a few things yet to be implemented in the final product. All that is required is an internet connection, a PC, the PS2 network adapter (there are no plans to support USB adapters) and a connection between the two.

Setup - A snap. Install the server on your PC from one of the two CDs. You need your PC to be connected to the internet in order to sync with their server. Then just choose which folders you want to share and this side of the setup is done.

Boot the PS2 off the other included CD. It takes about half a meg of space on your memory card. Once the initial IP setup has been performed, the total time it takes to load from a cold boot is about a minute, which isn't that bad considering how long many PS2 games take.

Interface - Pretty good. There's no support for playlists yet, but you will eventually be able to make and save them straight from your PS2, and I'm *pretty sure* they're going to implement m3u support. Tranversing big directories is a pain, but again I'm sure they're probably going to implement a page-down function. One slightly irritating thing is that you cannot add anything to your queue while an audio or video file is playing. Also you cannot yet pause during video playback, or ff/rwd during either playback mode.

Operation - I have all my mp3s encoded at 192 vbr, and it works flawlessly. I've had some stuttering problems with a couple really high resolution divx files, but they're aware of this limitation and working on it. But it plays my MST3K episodes perfectly, straight from the CD-ROM drive on my computer, so this is almost enough right there to warrant the purchase.

Files Supported - mp3, avi (divx 5.x), and mpeg. Hopefully they'll add asf support in the future, but I dunno how likely movs are.

Recommendation - At ~$60 ($50 for the product, $10 for FedEx S&H), plus $40 for the NA, I am more than happy with my purchase. It's obviously not quite ready for primetime, but if you buy now you'll get a full version when it's done. Plus the software is dynamically updated every few days with a patch whenever one is released.

In any case, even in its current state QCast is a great deal, and comes highly recommended. I was considering getting an Xbox for this purpose, but the multimedia software available is even less ready for primetime, and that would involve a modchip and all that biz.

------

If you have any questions, I'll answer them the best I can.
Old 10-01-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds very cool! I can't wait for mine to arrive. How easy is navigation from the PS2 side?

I was not aware that it was beta s/w though. I guess I'm not too worried about that.
Old 10-01-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, they call it the "preview edition," but it's basically a far along beta. Except for the things I mentioned, it's very functional.

Navigation is okay, you mainly just traverse the directory structure of your shares as you would in explorer. However, as I said there's no pageup/down feature yet. I have a couple hundred subfolders in my mp3 directory, so if I want to listen to Yes it's a huge pain right now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to include that digital out is not currently supported, but will be in the very near future.
Old 10-01-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Took the plunge and ordered. Anxious to check it out.
Old 10-01-02, 07:43 PM

How's the quality of the divx? Like watching it on the pc only bigger? full screen? I'm interested in buying this too, and one of the reasons I got a NA.
Old 10-01-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out my review at http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com/ - it has images from my TV for the product. I've been recording TV using ShowShifter, and my DivX files look great! Full screen and very good quality.

BTW, my review will soon be made available at the official BroadQ site as well!

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 10-01-02 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

nevermind
Old 10-01-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

s}{ammer...

What were you going to say?
Old 10-01-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I couldn't find your review of it on that site, I asked you to post a direct link, then I opened my eyes and found it. Sounds promising, but isn't Sony making this very same thing?
Old 10-01-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not that I heard of, and this product is available now! AND IT WORKS! I'd rather be on top of something that exists and can participate in the beta testing of it, which I am now. If you need any more info, lemme know.
Old 10-02-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

here is what I was talkign about. Tivo functions on PS2.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...light=ps2+tivo
Old 10-02-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would be very surprised if the CD ripping functions weren't identical to those that MS is using, considering Sony's stake in the music market.
Old 10-02-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out ShowShifter and SnapStream - these are both programs that provide DVR capability. They will evolve into PVRs eventually - SnapStream's next release will supposedly let you access media across the 'net.
Old 10-02-02, 04:49 PM

RockyMtnBri,

Can you please post the direct link to that review, I looked around the site but I couldn't find the review, I saw the thread you started that has some info but no review. I'm really interested in this product and can you also tell me your setup for snapstream(like machine video card and other specs). I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

tnx.

- c
Old 10-02-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by zerotl
RockyMtnBri,

Can you please post the direct link to that review, I looked around the site but I couldn't find the review, I saw the thread you started that has some info but no review. I'm really interested in this product and can you also tell me your setup for snapstream(like machine video card and other specs). I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

tnx.

- c
It was kinda hard to find...

http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com/qcastreview.pdf

On the main page at the bottom left, under "Reviews"
Old 10-02-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry about not posting the link guys - I hope you find it useful. BTW, zerotl, here's a link to my thread at the BroadQ forum that describes exactly what you're looking for:

http://forum.broadq.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...6&m=5346071721
Old 10-03-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got mine today.

Aghama has pretty much nailed it. This is a pretty cool setup. If I hadn't had problems with my POS Linksys Cable Router, it could have been set up in 5 minutes. It played pretty much any MPG I could throw at it, but was kinda choosy as to whch AVI's it would play. I haven't looked at the codecs to see what the deal was. User interface was a bit difficult, given the large number of MP3's I've got, but I expect those ssues will be improved in later releases. I also only used the game controller, since my PS2 DVD remote is hiding somehere.
Overall, I give it a big thumbs up!

Old 10-03-02, 03:11 PM

Tnx for the link, off to order one now.