Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Capcom going up for sale? Microsoft wants to buy?

Old 09-28-02, 11:38 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Capcom going up for sale? Microsoft wants to buy?

Latest rumor floating around comes from Capcom's financial report which I hear isn't that great in spite of all the successful titles they seem to have released. Now, I heard all this from an insider at Sony Korea, and even he presented it to me as only a rumor. Anyway - rumor has it that Microsoft wants to take a run at Capcom. I can already see where this conversation might go, but let's try to keep this clean.
Trigger is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 11:42 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
gcribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Sacramento,Ca,USA member #2634
Posts: 11,965
I will keep this clean



gcribbs is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 11:52 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
After Rare, I think we're going to see this rumor every time a games developer has financial problems. From what I've read, Capcom's problems have more to do with real estate and other bad investments, rather than game sales. Of course, HOW they lost the money has little to do with their vulnerability.
Groucho is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 11:53 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Well personally I think this would be great for Microsoft... a few key company aquisitions like Capcom and Rockstar would really boost their sales. I think it would be really cool to see Resident Evil with some bump mapping and perhaps even a movable camera in a true 3D environment rather than pre-renders. My friend at Sony also told me that the decision to go exclusive with Resident evil on the Gamcube is an decision that many people at Capcom are very unhappy about including top level executives (I don't remember if he said it was the publisher or the president... I think he said it was the president and that even he has less control over such things than the publisher does, but I could be confused).
Trigger is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 11:55 AM
  #5  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
The remake of Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0 would have had pre-rendered backgrounds regardless of the system they were on. It was a stylistic choice made to keep the games in line with the others in the series.
Groucho is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 12:08 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by Groucho
The remake of Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0 would have had pre-rendered backgrounds regardless of the system they were on. It was a stylistic choice made to keep the games in line with the others in the series.
I know, but I just think it would be cool.
Trigger is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 12:13 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
gcribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Sacramento,Ca,USA member #2634
Posts: 11,965
Originally posted by Trigger
Well personally I think this would be great for Microsoft... a few key company aquisitions like Capcom and Rockstar would really boost their sales. I think it would be really cool to see Resident Evil with some bump mapping and perhaps even a movable camera in a true 3D environment rather than pre-renders. My friend at Sony also told me that the decision to go exclusive with Resident evil on the Gamcube is an decision that many people at Capcom are very unhappy about including top level executives (I don't remember if he said it was the publisher or the president... I think he said it was the president and that even he has less control over such things than the publisher does, but I could be confused).
My biggest concern on having MS in the console market is that they would use the same techniques they have always used in other markets.

Lose money to gain market share. If you can not gain market share buy up as many companies as needed to gain market share. continue with both techniques till you control the market using revenues from OS monopoly.

As much as i think that having competition is a good thing- MS IMO if they want to get the console business will keep spending money till they are the only company left in the console market

I hope this is wrong and MS is not really going to use the same techniques they used in the PC market
gcribbs is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 12:16 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Well it's naive to think that Microsoft is the only huge corporation with alot of money in this business... Both Sony and Nintendo have billions of dollars and both spend alot of money to acquire publishers and developers and exclusivity. Microsoft is just playing the game. I don't think they're out to become the ONLY console maker and it's certainly not likely that they ever will be.
Trigger is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 12:30 PM
  #9  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
I will be seriously pissed if this happens. Spending money to buy exclusive agreements is one thing, flat out buying developers is an entirely different matters.

Sure all companies are evil and greedy, but MS is far worst than most, if not the worst at not giving a crap about anything but dominating every market the enter, regardless of how sleezy they have to be to do it.
Josh H is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 12:32 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I will be seriously pissed if this happens. Spending money to buy exclusive agreements is one thing, flat out buying developers is an entirely different matters.

Sure all companies are evil and greedy, but MS is far worst than most, if not the worst at not giving a crap about anything but dominating every market the enter, regardless of how sleezy they have to be to do it.
Wow - we lasted 7 posts before it got ugly and someone started company bashing... that's not bad.
Trigger is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 12:35 PM
  #11  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
If they act like a big, evil greedy corporation that can ruin the video game industry, I'm going to call them on it.
Josh H is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 12:40 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
gcribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Sacramento,Ca,USA member #2634
Posts: 11,965
Originally posted by Trigger
Well it's naive to think that Microsoft is the only huge corporation with alot of money in this business... Both Sony and Nintendo have billions of dollars and both spend alot of money to acquire publishers and developers and exclusivity. Microsoft is just playing the game. I don't think they're out to become the ONLY console maker and it's certainly not likely that they ever will be.
no but it is naive to say someone is naive for pointing out that only one of these companies has a pattern of dominating markets by buying companies or underselling companies to drive them out of markets.

MS has been doing this for a long time now and have damaged or destroyed other companies that tried to compete against it.

Sure Sony and Nintendo has some money however MS has more money that both combined in cash reserves alone.

They even tried to buy nintendo outright before they entered the console market.

It is not bashing the XBox to say this. The Xbox is a nice console. I just wish they would break up MS and pin off the XBox so that they would be competing without using the OS cash cow to win.
gcribbs is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 12:48 PM
  #13  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
To preface my comment, I'd say the exact same thing if Nintendo or Sony started buying up (or trying to buy up) major third party developers.
Josh H is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 12:49 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,937
YES!!!

I like that idea!!!!

1. RARE

(crossing fingers)
2. CAPCOM
3.SEGA

This will make MS finally No. 1 Forever

I can't even start to imagine if this happens, I'll die a happy man.

Last edited by kar10; 09-28-02 at 12:51 PM.
kar10 is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 01:39 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by gcribbs
no but it is naive to say someone is naive for pointing out that only one of these companies has a pattern of dominating markets by buying companies or underselling companies to drive them out of markets.
If it seems like I was implying that you were naive, I'm sorry... I didn't mean to say that. It's just that people say these things about Microsoft as if Sony and Nintendo are some Mom & Pop operation and it's not true. All three companies are huge. Microsoft has more cash reserves I guess if you say so, but that doesn't mean they are willing to spend them all on the Xbox.

Originally posted by gcribbs
MS has been doing this for a long time now and have damaged or destroyed other companies that tried to compete against it.
Like what companies?

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
If they act like a big, evil greedy corporation that can ruin the video game industry, I'm going to call them on it.
Thank you for being there for the rest of us because without you we wouldn't know about the evil greedy corporations and we might be foolish enough to buy their hardware without knowing we're helping to contribute to the ruining of the video game industry. You're like some sort of angel from heaven.

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
To preface my comment, I'd say the exact same thing if Nintendo or Sony started buying up (or trying to buy up) major third party developers.
Actually - if I had said that Capcom was up for sale and Nintendo was going to buy it I think you would say that it's a good thing and that Microsoft is stupid. That's the impression I get anyway - if that's not how you are, then I'm sorry - my mistake.
Trigger is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 01:45 PM
  #16  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
No, I don't want to see Nintendo buy capcom.

It would be good for Nintendo business wise, but I don't think console companies buying major developers is good for the industry.


As for companies MS has hurt or destroyed. How about IBM's old OS, Netscape, other word processing/office software like Word Perfect?
Josh H is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 01:57 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Netscape gave their software away... I don't see how that can be all that profitable... they died for the same reason most of those bloated internet companies died when investors realized the market was bearing inflated prices for the stocks. They got purchased by AOL anyway and their software turned to crap. Corel teamed up with Linux and their office software wasn't ever really that good compared to MS Office. Lotus also had an inferior office product - nearly every client I've had has upgraded to MS Office from Lotus when they buy a PC with Lotus preinstalled. Corel still makes graphics suites and office suites - but they aren't as popular as Adobe. As for IBM's old OS - you'll have to elaborate on that. I still don't see how any of these companies were destroyed because MS "dominating markets by buying companies or underselling companies to drive them out of markets"

Windows Media Player is a better player than Realplayer (which sucks)... I think the thing that's hurt Realplayer the most is that it just sucks. Quicktime is great also and I don't see that company having any problems with success or exposure. Am I supposed to hate Microsoft because they make the most popular products? That's like hating Green Day because they become popular and I don't do that sort of thing anymore because I'm no longer in high-school.
Trigger is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 02:15 PM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Westward Ho, 3-Card Poker table, seat 2
Posts: 951
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I will be seriously pissed if this happens. Spending money to buy exclusive agreements is one thing, flat out buying developers is an entirely different matters.

Sure all companies are evil and greedy, but MS is far worst than most, if not the worst at not giving a crap about anything but dominating every market the enter, regardless of how sleezy they have to be to do it.

Wow, what a short little memory we have Joshie-boy!

From you post here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=2

Josh Hinkle SEZ:

"Also, I'm not anti-X-box at all. Any time I've posted about the X-box (i.e. in the "What console are you buying this winter" thread) I've never said anything along the lines of "MS sucks," "the x-box sucks. I always politely state that "the x-box's game line up doesn't appeal to me." I've pointed out on numerous occasions that the X-box has a number or games that are really good for the genre (i.e. Morrowind for open ended RPGs). I just happen to not be interested in as many of the Genre or types of games on the X-box as I am on the PS2 or GC.

It seems some of the people here love the X-box so much they that when someone says "the x-box line up doesn't interest me" they hear "the x-box and it's games suck."


in the same post he sez:

"Also for the reputation thing, it has always irritated me that people continually say I'm anti-X-box and pro Nintendo."

...hmmm Josh, I wonder where that reputation comes from
FonMan is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 02:19 PM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Westward Ho, 3-Card Poker table, seat 2
Posts: 951
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
If they act like a big, evil greedy corporation that can ruin the video game industry, I'm going to call them on it.
..question
How EXACTLY would this ruin the game industry? If anything, all gamers should be praising MSOFT for raising the level of competition in the video game industry. As far as CAPCOM is concerned, nothing would change except the platform on which the game would be made for. How is this bad? or different? I thought Nintendo was the software gods and Sony had 80% of the market How would this change any of that?

Looks like your week in the pokey didn't teach you much
FonMan is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 02:19 PM
  #20  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Originally posted by Trigger
I know, but I just think it would be cool.
I agree. Rumor has it that Resident Evil 4 will be fully 3-D. Hopefully they'll go 16:9 and 480p on this bad boy as well.
Groucho is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 02:23 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
gcribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Sacramento,Ca,USA member #2634
Posts: 11,965
Originally posted by Trigger
Netscape gave their software away... I don't see how that can be all that profitable... they died for the same reason most of those bloated internet companies died when investors realized the market was bearing inflated prices for the stocks. They got purchased by AOL anyway and their software turned to crap. Corel teamed up with Linux and their office software wasn't ever really that good compared to MS Office. Lotus also had an inferior office product - nearly every client I've had has upgraded to MS Office from Lotus when they buy a PC with Lotus preinstalled. Corel still makes graphics suites and office suites - but they aren't as popular as Adobe. As for IBM's old OS - you'll have to elaborate on that. I still don't see how any of these companies were destroyed because MS "dominating markets by buying companies or underselling companies to drive them out of markets"

Windows Media Player is a better player than Realplayer (which sucks)... I think the thing that's hurt Realplayer the most is that it just sucks. Quicktime is great also and I don't see that company having any problems with success or exposure. Am I supposed to hate Microsoft because they make the most popular products? That's like hating Green Day because they become popular and I don't do that sort of thing anymore because I'm no longer in high-school.
the reason that MS Office is the number one today is that they negotiated deals that gave discounts to install both windows and Office on systems. If you did not do this you paid more. so companies did this to save money and the other office suites slowly died to has been status.

They gave away IE when Netscape was selling the netscape browser( you could still download free copies but business use cost money) so netscape had to give away their browsers to everyone as they saw their market share dropping. so MS began making IE a must install on systems and began integrating it into windows calling it an essential component of windows and not allowing you to uninstall it.

For those who were around during the early days of windows you must remember that every new version seemed to cripple other companies products(word perfect,...) until they figured it out and installed a patch.

Funny thing is that MS products seemed to never have this problem


I am sure some who really follow MS more than i do can give you a ton of info on things they have done. Sony and Nintendo are almost saints in comparison. sure both companies play hardand rough at times however as big as sony is they do not have the cash cow that MS does and can not afford to lose billions forever on a console to drive a competitor out of the marketplace like MS can do.


MS could decide to spend and lose 5 billion a year for the next 10 years and not go out of business. Both Sony and Nintendo would go out of business if they face that kind of presure in any market they are in and that is not good for any gamer.

Trigger- I thought you were saying I was naive , but it does not bother me since we all can be at times

Trust me I do not take offense with anyone saying things about me as long as I can explain myself and at least hope that the other side is listening to what is said

Now if i can only figure out how to get everyone to agree with me
gcribbs is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 02:25 PM
  #22  
zig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 810
Originally posted by Trigger

Like what companies?
Exactly. Microsoft squashed them before they got big enough for most people to hear of them. I agree, the bigger names(netscape, real player, etc), just started making crappier products and that's most of the reason they died out(although netscape has started to become a good product again), but the smaller ones never had a chance. They've purchased literally hundreds of companies over the years, it's not just taking advantage of good opportunities, it's finding out who's competing and bullying them into being bought.

The Department of Justice isn't going after Microsoft because they're just as bad as everybody else, it's because they're worse.

If you need reasons not to like Microsoft, there's plenty:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Soci.../Against/?il=1

This site in particular has a lot of good reasons: http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

It's not like hating Green Day for being popular, it's like hating Green Day's record label for only giving us Green Day instead of some smaller bands that might be better, but aren't pop-friendly. I don't have a problem with the xbox, I think it's a good piece of hardware, being a Microsoft product wouldn't stop me from buying it. But Microsoft is still the evil empire
zig is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 02:35 PM
  #23  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
FonMan, I have nothing against the X-box, I just hate MS's business practices.

But I don't judge the X-box because of them. For example, I hate Disney's business practices, but I don't let that keep me from enjoying Toy Story.

I said I'm not anti Xbox, and don't bash the system, and that's true. I just hate MS's business practices and bash them for it. I don't carry that over to the Xbox. I just judge it as a video game system, and a very good one at that.

As for how it's bad for the industry. One, third party companies have total creative freedom to make pretty much what the want. When a console develper buys them they're more likely to be pressured into making games that will sell, rather than just being creative. They're also more likely to rush them to get games out, for instance, in time for the holidays.

Lastly, if MS, Sony or Nintendo, buy several developers, it will lessen the competition and that's not good for gamers.
Josh H is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 02:43 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
I don't know - I know about all that stuff that MS supposedly has done - and even how the basis for their original OS was stolen from Xerox or whatever... MS has always been an evil corporate empire... sure... but at the same time, they make better software than anyone else. It's just that I see Sony and Nintendo doing the same things - like when Nintendo contracted Sony to make their CD addon for their SNES system to compete with Sega CD and then they tried to rape Sony in the deal so Sony decided to go it alone and they started buying their way in just like MS is doing. Nintendo also has screwed over every publisher and developer since the beginning by not allowing them to manufacture their own cartriges or discs so they can control the revenue blah blah. Sony is also evil for the way they sell us consumers crappy electronics at premium prices (their consumer line of stereo equipment is garbage with alot of features and their ES line is quality stuff without as many features) and they make all this proprietary stuff so they can control production and reap the profits blah blah. Also their whole involvement with the RIAA in getting them to make trading mp3s illegal cuz it supposedly eats into their profits - so they raise prices of CDs when mp3s were never proven to lower sales numbers (in fact, sales were up during the height of napster). THEN - they have the nerve to sell us every single type of mp3 player, recorder, CD burner, DVD Burner, proprietary MD, VHS copier, recordable media etc etc...

I think all 3 of these companies are the epitome of evil and it's all I can do to manage to have fun playing on their consoles knowing just how evil they are. I mean - all 3 of these companies exploit cheap labor! Gasp!

As for all the companies that MS has destroyed - most of the little ones were just internet startups that died because the market crashed. Bigger companies met with the same fate. You're right about the whole IE/Netscape/antitrust thing, but that's just one way to look at it - it's not the only way. It's like how in politics there's a conservative view and a liberal view and then there's the truth.
Trigger is offline  
Old 09-28-02, 02:45 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
As for how it's bad for the industry. One, third party companies have total creative freedom to make pretty much what the want. When a console develper buys them they're more likely to be pressured into making games that will sell, rather than just being creative. They're also more likely to rush them to get games out, for instance, in time for the holidays.
That's just not true.
Trigger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.