Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

HDTV icon on XBox Games

Old 09-26-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HDTV icon on XBox Games

Now, I'm understanding that only street hoops (720p) and Dragon's Lair (1080i) are actually HD games.

Last night I was looking through games and saw 'HDTV' on the back of a game -- "Burnout," I think. What does that signify?
Old 09-26-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It's pretty meaningless. It signifies that a game is 480p (in the case of an XBox game, a no-brainer) or that it has a 16x9 mode. There is no uniform labeling across the board yet, as far as I know.
Old 09-26-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see. Every game is capable of 480p through the HD pack, right?

There's no easy way to determine if a game is 16x9 capable, though? Short of playing it, anyway, and with video games it's not always easy to tell if the image is stretched or not on my widescreen TV.
Old 09-26-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Supposedly 480p is a base requirement -- "The Thing" and portions of "James Bond: Agent Under Fire" (and, oddly enough, the XBox dashboard) are 480i according to some, for whatever reason.

From what I understand, XBox games don't pass the same sort of 'flag' that DVDs do to indicate 16x9 enhancement. (With my VVega, it doesn't matter since it can't automatically detect such flags anyway.) On the Home Theater Forum link provided earlier, there's often debate about whether or not a title is 16x9. It's a matter of determining with a glance whether or not the image is distorted.
Old 09-27-02, 04:34 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Well the reason the HDTV logo is on Burnout is because the game was orginally slated to be 1080i, of course it is only 480p, lets hope Burnout 2 is either 720p, or 1080i.
Old 09-27-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
Well the reason the HDTV logo is on Burnout is because the game was orginally slated to be 1080i, of course it is only 480p, lets hope Burnout 2 is either 720p, or 1080i.
So they pulled the HD support from the game and didn't update the packaging? The bastards.
Old 09-28-02, 07:11 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Yes, that is kinda of what they did they kept saying that the game would be in HD, but as some people now know from other games, alot of companies think 480p is HD. Just got the new PSM which has screenshots of Burnout 2 which well be 480p on PS2, WOW the game looks great.