Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

eReader: anybody get it, reviews?

Old 09-25-02, 10:08 PM

eReader: anybody get it, reviews?

For a while now my GBA has just sat, I've been thinking about picking up the eReader, any reviews or thoughts on this?
Old 09-25-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

would be 100x cooler if you didnt have to slide an entire pack of cards 30 times to get a game to work....

ok maybe im exaggerating a little, but you do need to slide 5 cards, 2 times each to get a game to work, which kind of ruins it i think. excitebike sure is fun though!!
Old 09-25-02, 10:57 PM
Banned

I have it, and think it's a pretty amazing piece of technology! Old NES games can now be loaded with just 10 swipes of a trading card! However, if you have Animal Crossing, all of the current NES games are in that game, so there's no real need to buy them...

i'm more interested in seeing how Nintendo distributes the cards..there are tons of promo possibilities...free with GC games, inserted in game mags, I think they will turn up everywhere. Also, i want to see how they tie them into their games. I'm actually considering starting a webpage dedicated to the e-reader, tracking all of the cards available, reviewing the games, etc...

if you have any specific questions I'll be glad to answer them!

FS
Old 09-26-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ANYONE GRAB ANY EXTRA OF THE HOCKEY CARD THAT THEY COULD SEND TO ME???
Old 09-27-02, 10:34 AM
Banned

I was in GameStop yeaterday and saw that they had a longbox filled with them, over 500 Air Hockey cards...so just check in your local store...

Ed
Old 09-27-02, 04:27 PM
zig

I've heard that Capcom and somebody else want Nintendo to let them make e-reader games.. I wonder what they'd do with it.. just port their old stuff too?
Old 09-27-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw a review for it yesterday, the guy said it was a waste of money... most of the games are available in Animal Crossing apparently... plus you're paying to play old games from like 10 years ago.
Old 09-27-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Feneant
I saw a review for it yesterday, the guy said it was a waste of money... most of the games are available in Animal Crossing apparently... plus you're paying to play old games from like 10 years ago.
Yeah, your paying $5 to play 'old' games... They were $50 when they came out, $5 is a steal. Also, not ALL the game are in Animal Crossing. Yes, currently they all are, but when the next batch arrives, those games are NOT in Animal Crosing. The E-Reader is kinda useless right now, but in a few weeks when the Animal Crossing cards and the new NES Games come out, the thing will be hot.

Also, its only $40. Its not like tis the Virtual Boy or a 32X. Its a cheap accessory, and it adds alot to current games, as well as others. If this thing bombs, I won't be mad. Im sure we will get the Animal Crossing and the new NES Cards, so it will be well worth it..

Also.... I got about 5 of those Air Hockey cards. If anyone needs one, Paypal me ([email protected]) $1 and I will send it out. I only have 5 to give away, so act fast.....
Old 09-27-02, 08:24 PM

Question 1: What are these "Air Hockey" cards everybody keeps talking about?

As for the reader itself, I'm going to wait until the Animal Crossing cards come out to decide. If I'm still playing that game (which is more than likely at this rate), I'll probably pick up the e-reader.

Question 2: The items that are unlocked via the Animal Crossing cards. Are they items that can *only* be obtained through the cards, or are they just regular items?
Old 09-28-02, 09:02 AM
Banned

Answer 1: This is a single card, being given away by some video game retailers ( EB, GameStop, etc) that has a Air Hockey game on it..the game is all on one card, just 2 swipes.

Answer 2: I believe these will be unique items.
Old 09-28-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had some fun with the e-reader. I think its worth $40 and I had fun playing Pinball and Tennis on my GBA. Yes, the games are in Animal Crossing, but with the e-reader I can load them when I'm away from home and save them to the e-reader so I can turn my Game Boy off.

I can't wait for the Animal Crossing cards to come out.
Old 09-28-02, 10:18 AM

How is Pinball BTW? Can you save high scores at all?

I've been enjoying DK Jr. and Excitebike since I bought the thing a couple days ago. I'm really digging the concept and I hope Nintendo releases more and more games for it for some time to come.
Old 09-29-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my thoughts from a previous thread on it:

"It would have made a lot more sense to slide the games through once, then store them on the reader, with a menu option given to choose which game to play. It wouldn't be such a big deal to slide 15 cards if the game was stored permanently and you never had to do it again -- but even then that's only 33k.

So don't expect games like The Legend of Zelda, or even Kung-Fu -- we're talking games like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong, Jr., Tennis, Pinball, Excitebike, Game & Watch packs, etc. Even Joust is too much."

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 09-29-02 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-29-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Its possible to have games like Zelda, its just more slides. However, I thought they were planning on remaking the original NES Zelda, so I don't think we will see it... But it could still be hidden somewhere in Animal Crossing... Maybe a certain Animal Crossing Card unlocks it?